Finally - Butt don't hold your breath

Anything and everything about Thailand
mahjongguy

Re: Finally - Butt don't hold your breath

Post by mahjongguy »

Rit and some others put up an umbrella on the right-hand side of the toilet, along with several plastic mini-chairs. Somebody made a sign that says "smoke here".

I asked Rit "where are the boundaries? Can people smoke as they walk down the street? What if they are leaning on Avalon's wall?". He said he didn't know. No one has explained anything to the vendors.

I'm a good citizen who will follow the rules, but I'll be pissed if they try to enforce rules that are unstated or just plain made up on the fly.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:I'll be pissed if they try to enforce rules that are unstated or just plain made up on the fly.
If it is enforced at all, I'll be surprised. How many millions of times have we heard about some sort of new rules, maybe enforced for a few days, and that's the last we ever hear about it?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

My understanding is the ban has been postponed so it is some vendors attempting their own remedy. Good for them. The public bathroom by the way is closed.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I haven't been to the beach yet but my massage boy tells me the smoking ban has been implemented with signs indicating stiff fines. There are designated smoking areas behind the beach chair vendors with ash trays.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Went to the beach and confirmed new arrangement. Everyone seems pleased. There are a few chairs and small table behind each section by the new pathway for smokers. I have not seen anybody smoking in the vendors chairs. Hooray! No more arguments and bad scenes. Keeping my fingers crossed this policy continues, apparently it is voluntary compliance until the end of February when the fines will be in full force.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:Everyone seems pleased.
Apparently not everyone . . .

Pattaya tourists not happy with beach smoking ban

December 8, 2017

So far, the beach smoking ban is not proving too popular with Pattaya tourists, who seem content to just ignore the ban and smoke up on the sand.

The only beach in Pattaya that is part of the pilot beach smoking ban is Dongtan Beach, on the Jomtien side of the city. The pilot program bans smoking on 24 popular tourist beaches around the country after officials in Phuket realized how much smoking debris and cigarette butts were left on the beaches.

The ban came into effect on Nov.1, but no punishments will be levied during the initial 90-day grace period.

Though two designated smoking areas have been created at the back of the beach, smokers seem disinterested in using them. Foreign tourists continue to smoke openly on the beach, reported Bangkok Post.

The people who make their livings renting chairs on Dongtan Beach are cooperating with authorities on the ban and have been informing customers about the law. However, they say, tourists — especially foreigners — do not like being told they cannot smoke on the beach and some have vowed not to return to the beach if the law is enforced.

The 90-day grace period should end in February 2018. At that time, the government has said, violators could face penalties as stiff as fines of THB100,000 (about US$3,000) or up to a year in jail.

In addition to Dongtan, other beaches taking part in the pilot program are: Patong (Phuket), Mae Pim (Rayong), Laem Sing (Chantaburi), Bang Saen (Chonburi), Cha-am (Phetburi), Khao Takiab (Prachuap Khiri Khan), Bo Phut (Koh Samui), Sai Ree (Chumphon), and Koh Khai Nok and Koh Khai Nai (off the coast of Phang Nga).

http://pattayaone.news/en/pattaya-touri ... oking-ban/