Do you like to have a beer or cocktail on the beach? Forget it . . .

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Do you like to have a beer or cocktail on the beach? Forget it . . .

Post by Gaybutton »

The latest move to improve the "good image" of Pattaya is vendors selling alcohol on the beach, according to the Pattaya Mail, will be banned starting in October.

All is not lost, however. I don't see anything in the article that says you can't buy alcohol elsewhere and bring it to the beach. I would think that means you can still buy alcohol at a beachfront restaurant or hotel and just bring it to your beach chair.

What next? Maybe to keep the beach pristine they'll start banning people from going to the beach at all . . .

See: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/booze-s ... oct-186806
Undaunted

Re: Do you like to have a beer or cocktail on the beach? Forget it . . .

Post by Undaunted »

It should be obvious by now that the powers that be want a family friendly beach and would be happy if the old gay guys taking up a designated area of the beach dissapeared.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"...vendors selling alcohol on the beach...will be banned starting in October."

That fits in with the overall initiative to enforce licensing laws on everyone selling alcohol anywhere. But, if they tried to ban drinking on the beach, oh boy, there'd be a riot.

"... the powers that be want a family friendly beach and would be happy if the old gay guys taking up a designated area of the beach dissapeared."

There are upwards of 140 vendors along Jomtien and Dong Tarn. Half a dozen cater to gays and there's no reason to think that the city gives a damn.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

It is the vendors that bring some semblance of order to the beach and that has been the case for many years (without army involvement). It is after hours beach parties, excessive drinking, boom boxes, etc. that are a public nuisance but nothing of course will be done about that. I have seen vendors refuse to sell alcohol when a customer becomes a little too tipsy (rare occasions). This will piss off the Russians cause they certainly like their beer but the solution of course is simply drop by the local 7-11. I have never seen a government so obsessed with making life so difficult for the average working stiff.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Up2u wrote:" ... the solution of course is simply drop by the local 7-11. I have never seen a government so obsessed with making life so difficult for the average working stiff."

I for one will be pissed (annoyed that is). I love my beer under the umbrellas.
I also was thinking about the drop-in to 7-11 for a few cold Leo's before grabbing a chair on the beach.

But I wonder about the Nuclear Solution: will The Power's ban on vendor's selling booze morph into including beach-sitters being banned from even drinking booze there.
In their puritanical little minds this kind of ramped-up option might well be seen as 'logical'. :twisted: This could lead to war!
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Jun

Post by Jun »

Whilst I would prefer freedom of choice for the individual, consuming alcohol so early in the day isn't my idea of how to make the best use of the day.
However, the authorities really should not interfere in these matters. Particularly not without evidence of regular disruptive behaviour from excess alcohol consumption on the beach.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

If you go to the beach looking for that one last beer before the ban begins, then you will have to look twice for your favorite vendor. The vendors last week were either moved slightly north or south from their old locations to accommodate additional spacing between the plots for public access. For example, section 25 (Rainbow) has been relocated to near the White House. There are now sections directly in front of the Rabbit. So, your favorite vendor is still there, just keep your eyes open.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Up2u wrote:There are now sections directly in front of the Rabbit.
Is that now a public part of the beach? Last time I stayed at the Rabbit Deb told my friends and me that this was now a private beach exclusively for the Rabbit guests. Perhaps they just rented it and the lease is up.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The Rabbit rented their plot (just like other vendors) and made it for the exclusive use of the resort guests. When the government started relocating vendors, they decided to be a non-participant and probably sold their rental agreement.