O-A Visa Renewal Question

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

O-A Visa Renewal Question

Post by Dodger »

I know this subject has surfaced a trillion times but knowing how the rules-of-the-road change in LOS I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have to renew my O-A Non immigrant Visa for the first time at the end of this month. I will be arriving in LOS in 2 weeks and have an appointment at the U.S. Embassy to get the financial income letter I know I will need. When I go to the Immigration office in Jomtien after that do you know what documents I will need to bring? Also, does anyone know what the renewal fee costs now?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Smiles

Re: O-A Visa Renewal Question

Post by Smiles »

For the Extension to Stay 12 months, you need:

-- your passport
-- Thai Immigration Form TM-7 (filled in)
-- US Embassy-notorised income letter showing at least 65,000 baht monthly income.
-- photocopy of the relevant pages in your passport. (Photocopy all pages if you are not certain which ones)
-- extention fee is 1900 baht
-- passport-size photo of youself (any Kodak store in Pattaya will do that. (Get a bunch of copies ... you'll need them next year, as well as one every time you get a re-entry permit)
-- evidence of your residence address. (added to this list after Gaybutton's kick in my ass)

I think that's it.

PS: your O-A Retirement Visa will have expired once you get your first 12-month Extension. You don't need that anymore. From now on you're living on Extensions for as long as you choose to live in Thailand long term.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote:I think that's it.
Not quite. They also want to see evidence of your residence address.

As for which passport pages to photocopy, at Pattaya immigration, the little photo and copy shop next to the immigration office knows exactly which pages need to be copied. Just tell them you need the pages for the retirment visa and they'll know what to do.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Gaybutton wrote:
Smiles wrote:I think that's it.
Not quite. They also want to see evidence of your residence address.

As for which passport pages to photocopy, at Pattaya immigration, the little photo and copy shop next to the immigration office knows exactly which pages need to be copied. Just tell them you need the pages for the retirment visa and they'll know what to do.
Oops ... that's quite right. Always something I miss!

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Wow...that was quick.

Thanks you guys...I should be all set.

Cheers
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Then, since your O-A visa is expired, you will need a Re-Entry Permit before you next depart Thailand. Although you can get one at the airport on the way out, most of us purchase one when we renew the extension. That's up to you. Single: 1,000 baht. Multiple: 3,800 baht.

Also, if this truly is your first extension, this will be day 1 of your 90-day reporting. Check that before you leave Immigration. Please note that future extensions will not count as 90 day reports.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Now I'm confused.

Is this reentry permit something I have to ask immigration for...or is it part of the process?
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Dodger wrote:Now I'm confused. Is this reentry permit something I have to ask immigration for...or is it part of the process?
Dodger, now that you are staying long term in Thailand (i.e. right now you are in Thailand on a 12 month non immigrant visa ... soon to be a 12 month Extension) you must get a re-entry stamp/permit in your passport every time upon leaving Thailand. This re-entry permit is important as it essentialy keeps your 12 month Extension valid.

And yes, you must go to the immigration office to get it. You need to fill in a TM-8 Form. For a single re-entry permit you'll pay 1000 baht. There is also a multiple re-entry permit available which, for 3800 baht you get as many re-entries as you want. You'll need a photo to receive the re-entry stamp, as well as photocopy of the relevant pages in your passport.

To maybe clear up the confusion: most folks, I think, normally get their re-entry permit(s) while they are there at the imm office getting an Extension or a 90-day check-in. Doing it that way simply saves just another trip. But in essence you can apply for a re-entry permit any time you wish.
The re-entry permit stays valid in your passport. When you return to Thailand the Immigration officer at the airport stamps a big 'USED' sign over the original stamp. If you decide on the multiple re-entry then I guess it's left alone by the immigration guy (Ive never used a multiple, so I don't know the process on that).

mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Bottom line: once you get past the Use Before date of your original visa, if you leave the country without a Re-Entry Permit, your extension is voided. When you come back you will only get 30 days and you'll have to start the whole process over again to get back on annual extensions.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

This is getting complicated. For a multiple re-entry permit you must take your passport with you - not copies - because the re-entry permit is stamped into the passport itself. Every time you re-enter, the Immigration staff will write the last day of the validity of the reentry permit on the entry stamp. They do not stamp anything over the actual re-entry permit. And to make things more complicated, on the TM form (also the new one issued next month I believe) the visa number which you write on the form is not the actual visa number, it is the number of the re-entry permit!!

If you reckon you might be leaving Thailand more than once a year, just get a multiple re-entry permit when you get the visa and then renew it every time you renew your retirement visa. It saves a huge amount of hassle!