Yingluck to be Arrested

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Yingluck to be Arrested

Post by Gaybutton »

Here's the latest:

Prawit confirms Yingluck fled far from neighbouring countries

August 25, 2017

Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra has left Thailand and is unlikely to be in any of the neighbouring countries, Deputy Premier and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan confirmed hours after the Supreme Court issued a warrant for her arrest on Friday. He said authorities of Singapore, where Yingluck was rumoured to have flown to, had told their Thai counterparts that she had not entered there.

“We don’t know exactly in which country Yingluck is now,” General Prawit said.

Prawit, who is in charge of the police force, said he would not dismiss a high-ranking police officer rumoured to have helped Yingluck flee the country.

There was speculation that the former prime minister could have fled to Cambodia, Singapore, Hong Kong or Dubai.

A security source said Yingluck went to Koh Chang in the eastern seaboard province of Trat and flew in a helicopter to Phnom Penh, from where she reportedly took a chartered plane to Singapore. She was accompanied by a senior state official who helped facilitate her departure without having to pass proper immigration process, according to the source.

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions on Friday issued an arrest warrant for Yingluck after she failed to turn up for the verdict reading in the negligence case against her over her government’s rice-pledging scheme. The court postponed the verdict reading to September 27 and ordered the seizure of Yingluck’s Bt30-million bail.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30324933
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

I consider myself as a careful observer of a political situation in Thailand but have to admit that never was able to predict the tactical development of events over there. And for a very simple reason: the information is usually available to a very limited group of people to which I obviously do not belong.
However, this time something does not seem right. In particular, both Singaporean and Cambodian governments deny that Yingluck entered their respective countries. Which route could she possibly escape then? Who is benefiting from the current development? I would not jump the gun. Let us wait and see. And why not to close this thread?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The same thing happened with the billionaire monk.

"Gee, we had him totally surrounded for weeks but he just vanished into thin air".

I wish we (The U.S.) could deploy the same strategy with Trump.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

One of my questions was whether her supporters would still be supporters or whether they would feel betrayed. The following answers my question:

Unwavering support for their absent heroine

August 26, 2017

By Wasamon Audjarint
THE NATION

The whereabouts of ex-PM Yingluck Shinawatra may still remain a mystery but her supporters remain resolute and loyal.

They arrived at dawn to wait for their beloved former premier and even though they did not get to see her, they had no regrets at all.

Moreover, her supporters told the Nation they believed she would eventually play by the rules … when the rule of law could be guaranteed to the Shinawatras.

They said Yingluck’s disappearance yesterday might have been her best option, considering how unfairly they felt she had been treated in law under the junta government.

“We’re aware that her claim about suffering from Meniere’s disease may or may not be true,” said Chantalak Sangkhayothin from Petchburi. “While I’m concerned about her health, whether she lied or not is the least of our worries. And it doesn’t break our faith in her.”

Another Yingluck fan, who wanted to remain anonymous, said a few hours after the Supreme Court was told Yingluck was reportedly sick: “The court just wants to shoo us away but we won’t move. She’ll certainly show up this afternoon.”

The former prime minister did not, however, appear, and her fans eventually started packing their things and leaving. Police officers standing guard also appeared to relax their tight control over people’s movements.

But some still stayed to support Yingluck’s ex-commerce minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, who in the afternoon was sentenced to 42 years in jail. The crowd booed at passing prison vans but did nothing further than that.

The authorities have been intercepting vehicles that allegedly had people on board who were planning to attend the hearing despite the junta’s ban on political gatherings. Thousands managed to turn up from several provinces, and some even travelled from abroad.

Approached by The Nation, many said they were either farmers or relatives of farmers. They had specially gone to thank Yingluck for the very reason she had been prosecuted – the rice-pledging scheme.

They never accepted that she was guilty of neglect, they said, and since they had benefited from receiving higher rice prices through Yingluck’s scheme they did not feel the country had been damaged.

They also raised questions about the way the junta had proceeded with the rice stocks remaining from Yingluck’s administration. “The way they have sold the rice and dealt with rice mill operators has not been transparent?” said Daopradab, a medical technologist from Bangkok. “We have not seen any damage so how can we believe there was any?”

Daopradab was wearing a red shirt with the words “Team Pu” on it, in reference to Yingluck’s nickname. Twenty other people wore the same shirts. The group said they had met each other at a Chiang Mai temple where Yingluck was making merits. “Should she want to flee, she would have done it ages ago,” a die-hard fan said. “Staying here won’t guarantee justice. It is the same with her brother, Thaksin. Is it fair for those having served people to be deprived of their freedom? No, so they were better off leaving.”

Story and photos: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30324916
Between Lives

Post by Between Lives »

It's a pretty obvious scenario that has been long in the planning. Its a long old game and the Shinawatras will be back and Prawit will likely be sentenced to jail but flee the country. Losing face is an unforgivable thing. Thaksin will win or die trying.

If She goes to jail - every humanitarian organisation and Pheu Thai/Red Shirts supporters groups and anti royalist groups and foreign governments would be protesting due to alleged court fixing and government meddling - demanding for her release - now she's gone the government doesn't have to deal with that. They likely booked the flight for her. Next step in the chess game is when General Prem passes on. Shouldn't be too long.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

According to both CNN and the Bangkok Post, Yingluck is in Dubai. According to the Bangkok Post, "Officials 'abetted' Yingluck's flight to Cambodia."

It will be interesting to see if Thailand tries to extradite her. I doubt it would be successful and I also doubt they will even try.

Officials 'abetted' Yingluck's flight to Cambodia

Letting ex-PM go best option, source says

by Nauvarat Suksamran

26 Aug 2017

Some state officials were complicit in Yingluck Shinawatra's flight from justice this week and may have facilitated her escape to Cambodia, where she was assisted by people of influence en route to the Middle East, sources told the Bangkok Post on Friday.

"Let's just say the powers that be gave her the green light to go," said a source close to the upper echelons of power in Thai politics.

"If she had been convicted or jailed it would have caused more trouble and social unrest, so letting her leave was considered the best option," the source added.

The embattled former prime minister shocked the nation yesterday by failing to show up for the final judgement in her rice-pledging scheme trial.

Ms Yingluck's lawyer claimed she could not attend due to a complicated form of earache known as Meniere's disease.

A guilty verdict in the dereliction of duty case could have seen Ms Yingluck face a maximum prison sentence of 10 years and a lifetime ban from politics.

Two other politicians who served under her and were being tried for graft in government-to-government rice sales cases received sentences of 42 years and 36 years, respectively.

In her latest role as a fugitive from justice, Ms Yingluck took a private jet to an airport in Trat, where she crossed the Thai land border to Koh Kong province accompanied by her associates, a source close to her family told the Post.

"Khun Yingluck travelled to Cambodia and then took a flight to Singapore to catch another to Dubai," the source said.

Ms Yingluck's older brother Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted as prime minister in 2006 and now lives in self-imposed exile, is believed to be residing in the same emirate.

The other source said she "first made her way to Phnom Penh, where she received assistance from various powerful figures in the country".

On Wednesday, pictures and video clips of Ms Yingluck making merit at both Wat Rakhang Khositaram in Bangkok's Noi district and at her home in the capital were uploaded on her Facebook page.

However, pundits suspect these served as a ruse to distract the attention of security forces while she made her escape. The timing of her departure from Thailand remains unclear.

Ms Yingluck was still using social media to issue messages as of Thursday.

One Facebook post urged her supporters not to visit the Supreme Court on Friday out of concern for their safety as the regime has not only banned public gatherings but deployed thousands of personnel at the compound.

Observers say the Shinawatra family has longstanding ties with leading figures in Cambodia. The daughter of Yaowapa Wongsawat, another of Mr Thaksin's younger sisters, married the son of a Cambodian MP, a key decision-maker in the economic policies of Prime Minister Hun Sen. The MP also runs hotels and property businesses there.

Ms Yingluck got help obtaining a Cambodian passport before venturing on to Singapore in her private jet and later flying to Dubai to see her brother, the sources said.

A message by a high-ranking police officer on the social messaging app Line that was shown to the Post suggests she left the country on Wednesday.

The sources said Ms Yingluck also holds a Nicaraguan passport, as does Mr Thaksin.

Ex-deputy interior minister Vatana Asavahame fled a 10-year sentence in 2008.

Story and graphic: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... o-cambodia

See also: http://us.cnn.com/2017/08/25/asia/yingl ... index.html
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Is there anyone left who could oppose the junta in an election? Is it a criminal offence now to call for one? The military has so far had an easy ride internationally; I wonder how much longer this will continue.
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

These very harsh prison terms that can be given to former members of Yingluck government seem to have been designed to send a strong message: corruption is not going to be tolerated anymore. Now, I obviously do not want to open this can of worms. Besides, surely most of the people have their own opinion and hardly can be swayed. However, I recall quite recently I read an article ( in BKK post?) about a situation with real estate in BKK. A superluxury condo have been mentioned as an example of new developments. The prices varied from 20 to 100 million baht and the project was 85 percent sold out to Thais. Before I left Pattaya, I went to see a new project with the price 200000 baht per square m. Not as expensive as above but also almost sold out. These examples tell me what I need to know about the current state of corruption in Thailand.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I for one am glad to see that corruption on a massive scale is punished with equally massive jail sentences, although I'm certain these sentences will be significantly reduced on appeal. But hooking a few big fish will do absolutely nothing to reduce the overall amount of corruption that is endemic in Thai life, sadly. The efforts to tackle corruption at all levels of society are, frankly, pathetic.

On the other hand, to suggest that high home prices are necessarily a sign of corruption is, I think, almost totally incorrect. Look at Hong Kong and Singapore, two of the least corrupt societies anywhere in the world and you find property prices vastly higher than in Bangkok for much smaller spaces. No doubt various contractors in Thailand have been given sweeteners that affect the final sales price, but a large proportion of the buyers of the high-end condos now in evidence in Bangkok and Pattaya are foreigners. I have two friends - Hong Kong and Japanese - who bought at the Sukhothai Residence behind the hotel on Sathorn when they were first put on the market about 6 years ago. The price then was the highest in Bangkok. They tell me the 49% foreigner allocation was snapped up very quickly. Now apparently it is the rich from Singapore, Hong Kong and China who are snapping up expensive condos for vacations and eventual retirement. And these condos offer the sort of luxury you find in the best condos in Manhattan and London's West End. Hopefully the buyers will find time to enjoy their investments before Bangkok sinks much further!