Some of my fellow Pattaya residents might be interested

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dale1

Some of my fellow Pattaya residents might be interested

Post by Dale1 »

This article from the Huffington Post is dated 24 July 2017 ... it may well be of interest to some who are wondering about today's Pattaya, what's going on at the beach, and the overall state of the scene.

A Comfortable Retirement in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-c ... 511b02c4db
bobsaigon3

Re: Some of my fellow Pattaya residents might be interested

Post by bobsaigon3 »

A Comfortable Retirement in Phnom Penh? In brief, one man’s comfort may be another man’s discomfort. Living abroad comfortably always depends on one’s tolerance levels. How well does one tolerate the climate, the overcrowding, air and noise pollution, the aesthetic shortcomings, and in Phnom Penh, the attitudes of the 1% whose very large SUV’s demand the respect and subservience of the inhabitants?

I made a dozen trips to Phnom Penh over a recent five year period. Forty-five minutes flight from Ho Chi Minh City to Phnom Penh. At rush hour, at least an hour in the taxi from the airport to the Rambutan Hotel. That discomfort was immediately offset by the warm welcome of the hotel staff. Lovely people in PP and from the gay point of view a compelling reason to live there.

Going out means hiring a tuk tuk, safer than the Bangkok tuk tuks because they are forced to drive slowly on roads that are in such poor repair. In the evenings they are a convenient means of travel. Daytime travel is a challenge especially when traffic is heavy and your tuk tuk remains immobile in the 90+ degree heat. Air conditioned taxis are rarely seen.

The Japanese-built Aeon mall is impressive, though I found it incongruous that in addition to the shops, restaurants and cinemas, they have, in SE Asia’s poorest country, an ice skating rink.

Undoubtedly, Cambodia is cheaper than Thailand, cheaper than Vietnam. “Good” jobs pay the ordinary Cambodian $100 USD or less per month. A decent apartment for a foreigner could be had for under $1,000 per month. Air conditioning is essential but electricity can be expensive because some of it is supplied by Vietnam.

After reading the article, I can only conclude that my tolerance levels are not nearly as high as the writer’s. I couldn’t bring myself to living in Bangkok again, but Pattaya is certainly more appealing to me than Phnom Penh.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bobsaigon3 wrote:In brief, one man’s comfort may be another man’s discomfort.
Excellent point. Much of it depends on what you're looking for. The last thing I would do would be to decide where to live based on someone else's recommendation. I would be interested merely to become aware of places I'm not familiar with, but I would definitely have to see and experience for myself - and long enough to be certain about what I'm getting myself into.

And in case it doesn't work out as you had hoped and had thought it would, leave yourself an escape route.

I frequently see posts from people who have become disenchanted with Pattaya and vow not only never to live here, but not even to return for a holiday.

I'm totally different. I love living in Pattaya, despite the complaints and flaws. For me, Pattaya is exactly where I want to be and I can't even imagine liking anywhere more than I like living here.

Upon whose recommendation would you base where you wish to live? Somebody who dislikes Pattaya? Someone who likes Pattaya? Or would it make better sense for you to try it for yourself and make your own decision?

Whatever you do, don't base a where-to-live decision on having had holiday time there - wherever you might be thinking about - Phnom Penh, Pattaya, Bangkok, or anywhere else. A holiday is vastly different from actually living there, especially when considering living in a foreign country.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I have been to P.P. on three ocassions and believe if one needed an alternative to living in Pattaya it would be a suitable one, whereas Siem Reap would become a bit clostrophobic.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Whoever has the best gay scene(s) and availability of cute Asian boys gets my vote, and from every person I've talked to who has returned from one of these side adventures to Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc., the answer is always the same...Thailand has them beat.