Gay Maps -Nickys Site Closed

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Gay Maps -Nickys Site Closed

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote:This could be a very valuable resource, but as GB suggests it would need to be pretty comprehensive to be of value. In my view, this would need a few posters in at least Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai feeding fairly regular information.
I also see value in adding in bar locations in the more obscure cities, as it can be much more difficult to find a gay bar.

Considering that, I would like to know Christian's view on this.

I'm making the odd update to google maps, but I don't get around Thailand as much as Christian currently does.
Moses

Post by Moses »

If somebody has customized google-map I can create page to show it right on forum
Local private gay guides and companions
[*] in South East Asia http://siamroads.com
[*] in Thailand http://bkktour.info/
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I will be happy to contribute from time to time (if I can only work out how to get GPS co-ordinates from my phone!) but doubt if I can add much to those contributions made by someone like Christianpfc. What I am happy to do is to make a small contribution to the local travel expenses of someone like Christianpfc whilst he is doing his research.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:What I am happy to do is to make a small contribution to the local travel expenses of someone like Christianpfc whilst he is doing his research.
Aren't you being a bit premature, considering ChristianPFC has neither said he intends to participate nor has even posted a response on this topic?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Yes, I am. We all know that Christianpfc has an extensive knowledge of the gay scene and operates on a very tight budget. Some incentive might just encourage him to provide more detailed information. I'm sure he'll get wind of this suggestion sooner rather than later!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Some incentive might just encourage him to provide more detailed information.
I would prefer that whatever financial arrangements you make with him, keep it between him and you. I really don't like the idea of that being posted.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Understood. But if there is going to be a comprehensive list of venues etc. it will need similar input from some others. I'll keep the discussion to pms.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

fountainhall wrote:I will be happy to contribute from time to time (if I can only work out how to get GPS co-ordinates from my phone!)
fountainhall wrote: . . . if there is going to be a comprehensive list of venues etc. it will need similar input from some others.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but this is what I would do to record the location of places I go to. For example, I like to record my location in the LINE app to share with others in my friends' list, so I do this:

1) Go to chats
2) Go to the person you want to share your location with, one of your LINE friends, (it will also be sent to yourself as well.)
3) Click on the plus sign in the lower left, which gives you all kinds of options to send photos/videos, the camera, voice, contact info, and location, etc.
4) Click on the location icon and you get a map of your current location with a red triangle.
5) Then click on "Share Location" text and it will go to your friend and yourself of where you happen to be.

All the friend or user need do is to read the address and/or click the red triangle to go to a map.

I have an iPhone, and don't know if it makes any difference, but the information is easily shared this way. I don't see any reason you can't build a database of places you go to once you get there. We could all do that. Theoretically, we would have to the most powerful and current mapping database possible, since we do the input ourselves. This is just a basic straightforward approach to solving a problem.
Jun

Post by Jun »

If you have a google account & google maps on your phone, it's pretty easy to save places onto your own personal google map. Or more helpfully, ask google to list the location so that it's available for others. On the last trip, I added some bars & removed some closed coffee shops this way.
If adding a bar, list it as a gay bar, so hopefully the search facility will help other people to find it.

Google maps can also be set to record where you have been (if you choose). So it's easy enough to go back and use that data for updating maps.
Or copy the coordinates, for use on a website, such as this one.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Jun wrote:I also see value in adding in bar locations in the more obscure cities, as it can be much more difficult to find a gay bar.
Considering that, I would like to know Christian's view on this.
I'm making the odd update to google maps, but I don't get around Thailand as much as Christian currently does.
I'm afraid there are no hidden, obscure gay bars. All I know of can be found either on my blog or travelgayasia.

Google maps has a lot of wrong information, I sent hundreds of corrections.

Shamelessmack had a googlemaps with locations of the places he visited, and that map is still around somewhere on the internet.