Health Insurance for Thai BF

Anything and everything about Thailand
colmx

Health Insurance for Thai BF

Post by colmx »

Hi All,

Further to the Farang insurance Dilemma thread... What about health insurance for your Thai BF?

I remember years ago there were a lot of recommendations for Blue Cross in Pattaya...
Does anyone have any recent recommendations?

BF is talking about going through Kasikorn... but its hard to know if he isn't being sweet-talked by the bank teller!
2lz2p

Re: Health Insurance for Thai BF

Post by 2lz2p »

BF is talking about going through Kasikorn... but its hard to know if he isn't being sweet-talked by the bank teller!
Is it a health insurance policy or an accident policy? My bf let Bangkok Bank employee talk him into buying a policy, but it was an accident policy - not expensive, but I already had an accident policy for him. The one the bank offered cost more and had less coverage. He was under impression that if he had an accident, he could make money by filing a claim with both. Needless to say, I had to explain why that wouldn't work. An accident policy is about 2,500 baht per year.

For regular health coverage, he signed up some years ago with a Government hospital in his home province for the "30 baht" scheme. We have used Queen Sirikit in Sattahip area for both emergency and outpatient care. In the case of an emergency, Government hospitals do not charge if the Thai person is in the social security or 30 baht healthcare scheme. The charge for a doctor visit is limited to 30 baht (it may be around 50 baht now, not sure as he has not needed to see one for a few years) plus cost of medicine. He did have an emergency situation which resulted in an operation for bleeding in the esophagus, blood transfusions, medication, and a hospital stay (Ward) of 6 nights at Queen Sirikit - upon discharge, the fee was "-0-".

My primary reason for wanting him to have the accident policy is he can get treatment quickly at an International Hospital close at hand and the cost of the policy is minimal.