Tram Answer to Pattaya Traffic Woes?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Tram Answer to Pattaya Traffic Woes?

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Tram Answer to Pattaya Traffic Woes?

Post by Gaybutton »

This is not the first time they've talked about trams. That was discussed several years ago, as I recall. No surprise that nothing ever came of it. The article also talks about bus routes. That was also tried - and again no surprise - was an utter failure.

This time maybe they'll really do it, but I won't be holding my breath.

I hope whoever is contemplating the tram idea are not the same people who came up with the idea for the Sukhumvit tunnel.

Speaking of the tunnel, Pattaya just had two days in a row of torrential rains. I wonder if there was any tunnel flooding. So far I haven't seen any publicity about that one way or the other.
Jun

Post by Jun »

A tram system could work well, if properly implemented (which it is unlikely to be).

Proper implementation would include:
1 Flyovers at some major junctions
2 Traffic light priority at other junctions
3 Proper traffic enforcement to prevent vehicles blocking the route AND tram drivers should just be instructed to barge obstructing vehicles out of the way, as I understand they do in Poland (for example). Trams are heavy.
4 Contactless payment
5 Start off with a long north-south route, then add about 3 east west routes & a second north south route
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Everything Jun mentions makes sense. I just do not believe it will work - unless the city authorities are prepared to take other very drastic steps. The trouble with tram systems is they do nothing to reduce the normal flow of traffic - often it's the opposite. They may take some baht buses off the street but not cars, trucks and motorbikes. In Hong Kong they are mostly used by those who can't afford other forms of transport or who wish to travel just a few stops. They also block two lanes of traffic around the various tram stops. Then they need safe pedestrian crossings to get the public from the roadsides to all the tram stops in the middle of the road.

Hong Kong trams cannot barge other traffic out of the way. I find it very hard to believe that this is permissible in any country - given the insurance implications and possible danger to life of pedestrians. It certainly was not true in Prague, Zurich and other cities when I have been there. Tram systems in Europe are well planned because they have been around for many decades and are definitely used by some as an alternative to cars. I don't see that happening with the high- and mid-so set Pattaya set.

One roughly similar example is on Narathiwat in Bangkok. Some years ago one lane in each direction was blocked off for an express bus route. Each has a bus at most every 5 minutes and is only busy at rush hours. When they get to the end of Narathiwat and have to enter normal traffic, they have to crawl again. So two lanes of a very busy road are physically blocked to other traffic creating much longer rush hour traffic jams than before - all to save commuters about 5 minutes of time!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I just do not believe it will work
Of course it won't. We know it before they know it, unless they come up with some sort of great idea that's not occurring to us. However, given the way things usually work around here, I'll be surprised if it ever goes beyond the discussion stage. If they actually do it, the strongest chances are they'll do it in the stupidest way possible - such as the was done with the Sukhumvit tunnel - you know, the one that was supposed to open in April, but still has not opened. It should have been a bridge and they built it at the wrong place - an intersection where there were never many problems to start with.

If they do it, however they choose to do it, I'll be wondering whose brother-in-law's turn it is to be the person who gets rich from it.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

fountainhall wrote:One roughly similar example is on Narathiwat in Bangkok. Some years ago one lane in each direction was blocked off for an express bus route. Each has a bus at most every 5 minutes and is only busy at rush hours. When they get to the end of Narathiwat and have to enter normal traffic, they have to crawl again. So two lanes of a very busy road are physically blocked to other traffic creating much longer rush hour traffic jams than before - all to save commuters about 5 minutes of time!
BRT on Narathiwat-Ratchanakarin road in Bangkok, not Narathiwat province in the south. I think the BRT is of benefit for the public. I have ridden it a few times: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... thorn.html
If others have to be in traffic jam longer to allow the bus to drive faster, I'm all for it! I would prefer a system like in Singapore, where cars are highly taxed and in exchange citizens get an excellent public transport system. Opposite to Bangkok, where there are too many privately owned cars and the public transport system is so-so (in international comparison, but still good by local comparison).
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I have seen those buses on Narathiwat full at the evening rush hour. Equally I have seen them all but empty in the middle of the day with no queues and up to 3 buses waiting to depart. I totally fail to see the reason for blocking 2 lanes of traffic to create 2 exclusive bus lanes which are vastly underutilized for probably 7 or 8 hours each day!

I agree that an efficient public bus system and reduction in cars would be a huge boon to commuters. But the government is in hock to the car manufacturers which create lots and lots of jobs here. So it will never happen!