New Immigration Requirement

Anything and everything about Thailand
lvdkeyes
Been liked: 27 times

#1 New Immigration Requirement

Postby lvdkeyes » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:11 pm

I was told and subsequently confirmed at immigration that people who are in Thailand on a retirement visa must report to immigration upon return to Thailand within 24 hours if they leave the country.

fountainhall
Liked: 79 times
Been liked: 238 times

#2 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby fountainhall » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:22 pm

I don''t understand this unless it refers only to people without a re-entry visa. Surely if you leave the country you automatically report to immigration on return? I have never once had to make a 90-day report because I am always travelling. Each time I re-enter I get a new chop. When I renew my one-year visa, I present Immigration with a list of my exit/entry dates and a copy of the passport chops. Never had any problem.

Jun
Liked: 76 times
Been liked: 72 times

#3 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby Jun » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:13 am

Have they not heard of computers ?

We're in the 21st century, they should just scan the passport & the immigration database should already know you are back in the country.
If they have to collect other data, well set up a website.

thewayhelooks
Been liked: 28 times

#4 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby thewayhelooks » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:49 am

In the past two weeks, I have done my 90 reporting, got a new retirement visa for the next 12 months, and got a multiple entry visa. Not once did anyone say I needed to do this 24 hour reporting thing or even asked why I had not done it. Wasn't mentioned at all. Last year they wanted banking details and what restaurants you dine at and some crap about facebook etc. I'm still waiting to be asked why I didn't fill out that form either.
On another Immigration matter, last year I got a new passport while back in Australia, rolled up at passport control at the airport in Bangkok and presented both passports. They were checked carefully and I was waved through. Back in Pattaya the next day, I went to Immigration to get my visas transferred into the new passport. No can do. I had to go up to the embassy in Bangkok and get an official stamp saying my passport was a genuine one. So what's accepted by Immigration at the airport is not accepted in Pattaya. Go figure as they say. But not too much or you'll get a migraine.

travelerjim

#5 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby travelerjim » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:59 am

thewayhelooks,

Did you have to pay a fee for the letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok?

I have recently obtained my new US passport while in the USA. Yes I went to Jomtien Immigration...as you they said I must get a letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok.
Even gave me a copy of the form letter the Embassy uses.

Thanks for the info.

Tj

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 424 times

#6 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:18 am

I'm wondering just how strictly this rule is being enforced. The post from lvdkeyes is the first I've ever heard of this. Does anyone know how long this rule has been in place? And does anyone know what happens if you don't report to immigration within 24 hours or at all?

Especially if they are requiring some sort of letter from one's embassy, that is not exactly practical. Many international flights arrive in Bangkok in the wee hours. Unless your destination is Bangkok, that would mean it would be necessary to spend at least one night in Bangkok before traveling on to your destination.

Also Bangkok is not Thailand's only international airport. Along with that, you might not even be arriving by air. Buses, trains, and cars cross borders too.

This makes no sense to me, but then again there's quite a bit about the way things work in Thailand that are on my "I Don't Get It" list. This one is the latest entry.

Smiles
Liked: 39 times
Been liked: 85 times

#7 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby Smiles » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:35 am

Just anecdotal: although I have lived here in Hua Hin since 2007, I've always gone back to Canada once a year in April (family matters).
I live in Thailand on a Retirement Visa and annual extentions. Not once in 10 years have I checked in with Immigration upon arrival back. Neither have I gotten into any trouble because of that.

Have the rules on this changed? The OP seems to say "yes".
On the other hand, I've noticed over the years that the so-called Imm "rules" differ between the Hua Hin and Pattaya Imm offices. I don't doubt for a minute that that may be what's happening with this issue.

Along those lines ... here in Hua Hin I've had to go to Immigration twice in 10 years to get the info in the old passport transfered over to the new one. No need to go to my Embassy, no need for any letters etc etc. Took 15 minutes, no questions asked.
Maybe they like my handsome face and smile? :lol:
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 424 times

#8 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 am

LKAsians wrote:GB...the letter from the embassy is in regards to a new passport, not the 24 hours check-in.

Thank you. I misunderstood that part of these posts. Haven't had my morning coffee yet . . .

Even so, this still makes no sense to me. What are people supposed to do if their destination is nowhere near an immigration office? Am I missing something about that too?

mahjongguy
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

#9 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby mahjongguy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:06 am

A long-standing law in Thailand: the address of all foreigners must be reported within 24 hours by that foreigner's host. If you've ever checked into a Thai hotel, you were asked for your passport so it could be faxed to Immigration. More recently, hotels have had access to an online system.

In the past year or two, the Police have been frustrated by the number of foreigners whose location was not being reported by unlicensed guest houses, AirBnB rentals, condo rentals, etc., so they have moved the ultimate responsibility for reporting to the foreigners themselves.

This means that wherever you are staying it is up to you to know that a report has been filed; if not, you must do so by filing a TM30 at Immigration.

If you own a condo, it is obviously up to you. Same if you own or lease a house. Same if you are staying in a dodgy guest house.

If you are here on annual extensions and you are your own host (you are the "housemaster" by way of ownership or a registered lease) then it seems that Immigration will note your blue house book and not ask you again for a TM30.

This has really only been a problem for those who are renting houses or condos from owners who (for fear of having to pay taxes) refuse to do the reporting and to supply the paperwork needed for the occupant to do so.

"What are people supposed to do if their destination is nowhere near an immigration office?"

In that case the TM30 can filed at the nearest police station.

Jogger
Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 9 times

#10 Re: New Immigration Requirement

Postby Jogger » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 am

Gaybutton wrote:I'm wondering just how strictly this rule is being enforced. The post from lvdkeyes is the first I've ever heard of this. Does anyone know how long this rule has been in place? And does anyone know what happens if you don't report to immigration within 24 hours or at all?

In force around 4 months+. Lots of threads previously on Thai Visa about it under TM 30 and TM28.
Need to go to the office on the left side after entering Pattaya Immigration.
If someone does no report liable for a fine.
Be warned that the staff dealing with this 24 hour reporting are usually akin to attack dogs unlike the ones in the main office who are often polite.
Some people are lucky and others not.
Being enforced in Pattaya but maybe not elsewhere(BKK).
Some would say it is an exercise to increase revenues.
Responsibility of the visa holder to go to immigration and get it done.
Remember if not done could be consequences re renewal of 1 year extension as disparity with departure card reference.
Note also if a retiree changes address in Thailand the 24 hour rule applies and best for visa holder to go to immigration with new landlord.

I am not an expert just giving my experience and what I have gleaned from others.
Ask immigration if in doubt.

Return to “Thailand”