Arab problem sorted on soi 17 tonight ....

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Arab problem sorted on soi 17 tonight ....

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote:They can't stay there forever.
Random, but frequent, raids might do the trick. But it's one thing to suggest it. It's quite another to get the police to actually do it.

I don't understand why the police don't raid much more often. While putting a stop to this nonsense they would also be collecting good quantities of money in fines and impound fees.

The motorbike buffoons apparently understand only one word when it comes to stopping their behavior - force. Why the police in effect protect them by their lack of presence, they make victims out of pedestrians and people who actually want to sleep during the wee hours. Why, with the exception of a few days ago, the police seem to give them carte blanche rather than protecting everyone else goes beyond me. Is there some sort of Middle Eastern mafia or something . . . ?
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

This thread becomes more bizarre by the day....now we have a "Middle Eastern mafia." Are you suggesting that there's money to be made in the motor-cy rides? I'd have thought that any ex-pat would have learnt by now of the shortcomings of the Thai police.Why look for a sinister reason when "incompetence" answers your question? Or perhaps the police believe it to be rather low on their list of priorities, with and drugs and crime to worry about.
Just one question- and I really must stop feeding this thread- are these races being held for twelve hours a day? Five? One? And every day? and for how long? one hour? two? It must be a persistent problem, day after day, hour after hour,to arouse such angst. Is it?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Oliver I don't know where you are but if you are in Thailand and or better still in Pattaya go and witness it.
In answer to your questions...
It is 12 hours per day, every day of the year except Ramadan. It's non stop from 7 pm until 6.30 am, except when it rains. They don't like rain. In other words sunset to sunrise without a break.
Theres nothing bizarre about the thread or the problem. For those of us staying and visiting the area it's a living hell.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:now we have a "Middle Eastern mafia."
You're not going to be able to score points and enhance your agenda by trying to twist my words. Show me where I said there is a Middle Eastern mafia.

I believe my board members have intelligence enough to know the difference between a statement and a facetious question - well, maybe all but one.

You talk about police incompetence. There would be no need for police to even be there if these people, the ones you apparently admire so much and try to defend, were not breaking the law, disregarding consideration for others, and causing these problems in the first place. At some point are you planning to talk about that?

I'm not trying to twist your words, but in your latest you come across as if you're trying to say as long as they only do this once in a while and only for a short amount of time, then what's the problem? I'd like you to explain what makes it ok for them to be doing that at all - ever.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

The police action started in response to social media.

Get out your cell phones, capture some videos, saturate them on social media, everywhere.

"Following a Facebook post complaining about foreign teenagers racing on a Pattaya road, some 100 troops and policemen were deployed at two roads to crack down on them early Tuesday morning."

This 2-week old story already referenced in post #7 states that the offenders were part of a group of Arab teenagers. Have there been any arrests since that time?

Teenagers? Is this a teenager problem, an Arab problem, or both? If under 20, what does immigration have to say about that their behavior? Who is responsible for them, their parents, where are they and what will immigration have to say to them?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/br ... s/30319836

From ThaiVisa, over a year ago:

"I was interested to read today's News report of the Kuwaiti street racers rounded up, because I hadn't realised they were such a problem in town. Two days ago I saw two Arab kids on a motorbike near the traffic lights at Bali Hai flyover. They looked 15 but must have been in their late teens. They weren't wearing crash helmets. They looked cocky and grinned when a policeman on a smaller scooter came into view. Then, as I waited at the lights, they waited until the cop saw them. When he did, they revved up and raced off, laughing, driving too fast and too dangerously through the waiting traffic to presumably get chased by him. Then they turned the corner onto Third road....and ran straight into a police roadblock where they were forcefully stopped. How I laughed."
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Despite the fact that many of my friends consider me to be overly politically correct, I must say, in a few of the preceding posts, I get a slight whiff of prejudice against our Middle Eastern brethren regarding motorbikes.

To the authors of offending posts I say, many parts of the world do not enjoy the convenience of mechanical contrivances, but rely upon livestock for transportation -- more specifically camels.

When agitated A camel will bring some of its stomach contents into its mouth, mix them with saliva, and spit them at you. In this way they can completely cover the upper half of a human! The colour of their "spit" depends on what they have recently eaten. Therefore, if the camel has been eating grass it will be greenish, and so on.

Perhaps we farangs should be more understanding when our visitors from the land of sand become overly exuberant upon introduction to a conveyance which is not so obstreperous .
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Good to see and read your posting Geezer...

You're still as sharp as ever with your wit and advice.

Take care my friend....
You are missed greatly by me and so many others here in Pattaya...

As the troops are thinning and scattering about in the world in which we live.

Tj
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Geezer wrote:Despite the fact that many of my friends consider me to be overly politically correct, I must say, in a few of the preceding posts, I get a slight whiff of prejudice against our Middle Eastern brethren regarding motorbikes.
Well said. If these are teenagers, why not refer to them as juvenile delinquents instead? Politically correct and more to the point. Social media everywhere is using the word "Arab," a more sensational term than "misfit."
neddy3

Post by neddy3 »

Political correctness can go to hell.

The correct term is Arabs, since Arabs is what they are.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Here here ....Can't the regulars give the race card a rest? It has already been dragged up on this board and other boards.