Going to Thailand this year, need advice

Anything and everything about Thailand
daryl55

Going to Thailand this year, need advice

Post by daryl55 »

I'm 21 and will be going to Bangkok later this year, around November/December. I have a few questions I hope you guys could answer :)

Could you reccomend any gay-friendly hotels?
Any places I should stay away from? Known crime hot-spots, disreputable businesses, etc
Any unique customs/laws I should be aware of?
There's no classy way to ask this, but what are the good cruising spots?

Thanks guys :D
windwalker

Re: Going to Thailand this year, need advice

Post by windwalker »

Daryl, have you been reading this forum or any of the other two popular gay forums? Loads of info but you will have to use search function.

By asking about good cruising spots are you ruling out go-go clubs and massage houses and saunas?
In other words, are you just looking for free sex or are you also willing to spend some money for it?

http://www.gaythailand.com/ This forum probably has the most helpful and extensive info regarding your inquiry.

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/forumdis ... tdee-Forum

As for customs and laws: never insult the Royal Family, never use drugs and don't point your foot at people.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The best recommendation I can give you for Bangkok is to get together with other board members who live in Bangkok. If he is in town, Christianpfc is usually quite willing to meet and usually would be delighted to personally take you around. He's in your age bracket too. He is located closest to the Malaysia Hotel. Don't miss his blog: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com

Send him a PM: christianpfc

As far as I know, the two most popular choices for gay-friendly hotels in Bangkok are:

Malaysia Hotel: http://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com - basic rooms, but very gay friendly. I always stay there when I'm in Bangkok

Pinnacle Hotel: http://www.pinnaclehotels.com/lumpinee - on the same street as the Malaysia Hotel - more upscale - I stopped staying there because if you want to take a "guest" to your room, you either have to book a room for two or pay them a joiner fee.

Tarntawan Place: https://www.tarntawan.com - Closest to the Silom-Surawong gay bar area

There is also the BBB Inn: https://www.booking.com/hotel/th/bbb-inn.html - I have never stayed there and I don't know anyone who has.

For cruising, we have a topic on this board. See: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7808

I agree with Windwalker. Check the other two major gay Thailand boards too. On the Gaythailand board, go to the Gay Thailand forum. Once there, go to the search box and type in Saranrom. Loads of topics will come up about places to cruise.

As for what to avoid, your personal safety shouldn't be a problem because you're most likely going to be in the major tourist spots and they're always crowded. What I would be watching for:

1. Don't take taxis if the driver refuses to turn on the meter. If the driver won't use the meter, just get out of the cab.
If you're not afraid of them, I recommend the motorbike taxis. Most of them are very honest about their fares and they will get you where you're trying to go much faster than regular taxis. They're excellent at weaving in an out of traffic.

2. Be VERY careful about pickpockets. If you're going to be a crime victim, that's the most likely thing to happen to you. I advise carrying no more cash than you expect to need when you go out, and carry it where pickpockets can't get at it.

3. Street touts. The gay go-go bars usually have boys outside trying to get you to come in. They're harmless. But any other street touts - don't even let them talk to you. If you are approached by anyone, ignore them just as if they aren't even there and keep right on walking.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Christianpfc will be an excellent source of advice especially regarding saunas and cruising in malls and places like around Saranrom Park. He's not so into Bangkok's gogo bars because they are getting more and more expensive. The business model of these bars has changed along with the rapidly changing balance of tourists - i.e. from older westerners looking to 'off' the boys to Chinese and other Asian tourists who seem to be there more just to see a show, have one drink and then depart. These gogo bars are mostly congregated in Soi Pratuchai near the top of Suriwong Road at the junction with Rama 4 - locally known as Soi Twilight, the name of the first gogo bar to open on that soi 35 years or so ago. If you are interested more in sleaze, there is a cluster of three bars further down Suriwong Road and off to the left just below the Mango Tree restaurant. Also near the Mango Tree is the popular Tawan bar which is geared towards those who like muscular bigger guys.

It really will help if you can be more specific about your likes and dislikes. For example, many of the boys who work in the gogo bars are straight and only work there to make cash. But don't worry. If you take them 'off'' from the bar they should give you a good time if you make what you want clear to both the mamasan and the barboy. For example, if you are top and are looking for a bottom, make sure the boy is happy to do this. No point offing a guy who is exclusively top!

There are quite a few gay saunas. The most popular with westerners is Babylon which is close to both the hotels mentioned in Gaybutton's post - the Malaysia and The Pinnacle. Babylon also has its own hotel called the Babylon Barracks. Stay there and you get free entry to the sauna. Most of the visitors are older westerners looking for younger Thais - but I have not been for quite a few years. It is certainly a great place to visit with a pool, gym, two restaurants plus the usual sauna facilities. On the other hand, you may prefer a sauna that is more geared to younger guys. Here again, christianpfc is the local expert!

It will also be a help if you can give a little more information - your budget per night for hotel, the type of guys you like (same age as you; older?), are you looking for paid encounters with money boys or free hook-ups - and so on?

Silom Soi 4 is a gay soi with two popular bars/restaurants - Telephone Bar and Balcony. They are often very full and packed at week-ends. It's always quite cruisy. If you like discos, then the most popular with a wide range of guys is DJ Station nearer the top of Silom on the same side.

Lastly, remember the apps. There are many Thai guys on Hornet, Grindr and Jack'd. Even the older apps like Planet Romeo have extensive Bangkok listings. Check around. Keep in mind that some of these guys will be money boys, but most just looking for hook-ups. As Bangkok is such a spread-out city, many guys especially younger students will live a long way away from the centre. Most young guys do not have much spare cash so it's always polite to offer to cover their transport costs if they live far away. Depending on exactly where they live, these should not cost you more than a range from Bt. 200 - 300.

One thing to remember. Thai law states that you must carry your passport with you at all times. Not everyone does this and prefer to take photocopies of their personal information page, the entry stamp and the departure card that the immigration officer will leave in your passport - but it's the law. Another reason to be very careful about pickpockets. Since you are 21 and may look a year or so younger, you will need to show your passport to gain entry to DJ Station. But it's not required at other gay places as far as I am aware.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

daryl55 wrote:Any places I should stay away from? Known crime hot-spots, disreputable businesses, etc
Upstairs bars in Patpong. I have only read about the interesting things going on there, and money extortion when it comes to paying.

Tuk-tuks. Here you know the price in advance, however a taxi will cost half or less and be more safe and comfortable.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

daryl55 wrote:There's no classy way to ask this, but what are the good cruising spots?
What type of guys are you interested in hooking up with?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

daryl55 wrote:There's no classy way to ask this, but what are the good cruising spots?
No need to be classy around here.

If you're 21 and at least halfway decent looking, my short answer to good cruising spots would be anywhere.

And if you're better than halfway decent looking, you might try cruising at my place . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

If you are indeed 21 you should spend early evenings at Soi 4 Telephone Bar....around midnite head over to DJ station......daytime visit the malls..MBK is a good place to find locals.....avoid the apps. as most are moneyboys.....if you are not into temples...culture...etc. you have little need to venture outside ok Bangkok, you might walk thru Lumpini Park....some time ago the area directly around the Royal Palace in the evening was a good place to cruise for "rough trade".
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Undaunted wrote:..avoid the apps. as most are moneyboys..
That is probably true in Pattaya. It is definitely not true in Bangkok. The apps work very well in Bangkok, and will be especially effective given your young age if you are seeking non-money boys. But remember many will either be full-time students or guys with a job. So most may not be available in the day times.

The area around the Royal Palace is Saranrom Park. Most are money boys but the "tips" will be much less than in the Silom/Suriwong area. It is, however, very much at your own risk, and if you don't speak at least a little Thai you may find it all a rather fruitless exercise. The expert on Saranrom and other cruising is christianpfc. If he does not respond to this post, you may wish to send him a pm about public cruising. He is much closer to your age than most of us here!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:The expert on Saranrom and other cruising is christianpfc. If he does not respond to this post, you may wish to send him a pm about public cruising.
Better still would be contacting ChristianPFC and arranging to meet him. He is usually quite happy to personally show people around.