It is a Mad Mad Mad Mad Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
Joachim

It is a Mad Mad Mad Mad Bangkok

Post by Joachim »

Yesterday we went to Britney Spiers concert in Impact Arena. It was supposed to be bf dream come true. The tickets were 4.500 baht per seat (and it was second worst: the most expensive were 12000 per seat). We rented a car and left Pattaya around 4 pm. Since the concert was supposed to start at 8:30 pm, I was sure we will arrive in time. In reality we were around 30 minutes late. The traffic was crazy! Can somebody explain to me why any retired expat (who does not need to work in BKK or need to frequently use BKK area airports) choose to live in BKK? With traffic jams, floods, air pollution and periodic political upheavals what is the point? (But Britney was fine :D ).
Trongpai

Re: It is a Mad Mad Mad Mad Bangkok

Post by Trongpai »

Joachim wrote:Can somebody explain to me why any retired expat (who does not need to work in BKK or need to frequently use BKK area airports) choose to live in BKK? With traffic jams, floods, air pollution and periodic political upheavals what is the point? (But Britney was fine :D ).
First, you explain to me how a grown man finds Britney "fine"

Impact Arena is in a part of Bangkok that is really traffic choked. Starting on Friday afternoon and through the weekend it's slow going. Friday is a good day not to get in traffic in Bangkok. Time it right and the trip from to Pattaya from Bangkok can take 1 1/2hours. Had you told me that you were going to Bangkok from Pattaya in a rental car on a Friday at 1600 I would have told you you're nuts.
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

Trongpai wrote:Had you told me that you were going to Bangkok from Pattaya in a rental car on a Friday at 1600 I would have told you you're nuts.
Sorry, I did not realize I need to clear my travel plans with you (but I discussed them with a trusted travel agent). And talking about nuts you did not respond to my question about crazy expats permanently living in BKK.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Hmmmm.... Attending a concert can be fun...
I would have either planned to stay in Bangkok for the weekend at the Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel and taken cab to the venue.

Or would have taken the Jomtien to BKK bus and then taken the Skytrain to Bangkok stop closest to the concert arena... With taxi from there to concert arena.

Surely would not have rented a car for the journey.
Just my two cents...
Hope you enjoyed the concert.

My Thai bf and I went to the Britney Spears Concert in Washington DC for his birthday on July 31, 2011 held in the Verizon Center Arena. We stayed at the Sheraton Reagan Airport Hotel with deeply discounted rooms via Priceline. Free shuttle to the subway to the Verizon.

It was fun and I was able to get preferred seating for us at a decent price via my Citibank credit card.... We had a great weekend in DC too.

Tj
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I happily live in Bangkok. Yes Bangkok is mad! The pollution is obviously worse than by the sea, but the regular winds at this time of year keep the air in residential districts away from main roads relatively fresh. Where I live it is way better than the air in Hong Kong! There is almost no flooding around where I live and the MRT and Skytrain get me to most places I want to go.

Yes, the traffic jams are bad - but they are worse at certain times of day. Frankly I would never attempt to drive or take a taxi in the city at rush hours - and in the evening that means between around 4:30 (many people get off work at 5:00) until around 8:00 pm. So arriving at the outskirts of the city bang in the middle of the rush hour will always mean getting well and truly stuck.

If you do the trip again for another concert, I'd aim to arrive before 5:00, park and then relax trouble free over a drink and a meal. That way you won't have the constant worry about being late.
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

travelerjim wrote:Hmmmm.... Attending a concert can be fun...
I would have either planned to stay in Bangkok for the weekend

Tj
Retrospectively, we needed to leave Pattaya Thursday night and stay one night in nearby hotel. I would not want to stay over weekend , since I do not want to stay in BKK one minute more than absolutely necessary.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

That would be better planning...
Next time we all will know...

Glad you went... We really enjoyed the Britney Spears concert we attended in Washington DC July 2011.

Tj
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

travelerjim wrote:I would have either planned to stay in Bangkok for the weekend at the Pinnacle Lumpinee Hotel and taken cab to the venue.

Or would have taken the Jomtien to BKK bus and then taken the Skytrain to Bangkok stop closest to the concert arena... With taxi from there to concert arena.
I really doubt either of these would have saved you much time! The Pinnacle is way, way too far away from Impact (OK for the Queen Sirikit Convention Centre but not many other concert venues). You'd have been stuck in traffic for at least 2 hours if not an hour more.

Neither the Skytrain nor the MRT has stations close to Impact. You can certainly get to the nearest stations but you'll then have a huuuuge problem finding a taxi, especially on a Friday and even more so if it is raining.

I have been to Impact several times. Using a combination of MRT and taxi, we always arrive very early and then go over to relax over drinks and a meal at the Novotel which is part of the complex.
Joachim wrote:I would not want to stay over weekend , since I do not want to stay in BKK one minute more than absolutely necessary.
You do not need to stay overnight. Just get the travel planning right!
Joachim wrote:I discussed them with a trusted travel agent
With respect, I wonder when your agent was last driving in Bangkok on a Friday evening! Next time just ask guys on this forum who live here!
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Thanks for the input...
Very good suggestions Fh
Tj
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Joachim wrote:[Sorry, I did not realize I need to clear my travel plans with you (but I discussed them with a trusted travel agent). And talking about nuts you did not respond to my question about crazy expats permanently living in BKK.
There's an equal number of Bangkok residents who think living in Pattaya is crazy. I am not one of those with that opinion. Both places have pros and cons. I like them both. I don't think anyone is crazy living in either place or someplace else.

No, you don't have to clear your travel plans through me or any of the board members but we would have provided free advice. There's a wealth of good advice available via these boards and many are friendly people even willing to go out of our way to assist others.

As for the music of Britney, it makes me gag, but if you like it, that's fine. We all have different likes and dislikes. It does not make us crazy, just different.

I should not have said "you're" nuts for your trip plan but rather it's nuts, as in ill advised. Apologies.