It is a Mad Mad Mad Mad Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: It is a Mad Mad Mad Mad Bangkok

Post by Gaybutton »

I also am among those who would not like living in Bangkok. I also would not like living in Chiang Mai. I prefer Pattaya. I suppose if a person really likes where he is living, it's probably because what he's looking for is there.

If someone who already dislikes Pattaya asks me to explain why I like living in Pattaya, I doubt that any answer I could give would be satisfactory to him.

I'm not familiar enough with Bangkok to know when and where to expect major traffic jam delays. But since I do know to expect them at all, if I need to be somewhere at a specific time, I will usually spend a night in a hotel the day before. The next day I'll give myself plenty of time to get where I'm trying to go - and get there on time.

I do drive to and from Bangkok, but I usually stay at the Malaysia Hotel. One of the things I like about the Malaysia is the location. It's very easy access to the expressway even during peak traffic jam hours. Once I arrive at the Malaysia, I usually don't drive again until I go back to Pattaya. I much prefer to go by BTS or MRT or motorbike taxi. It's much quicker and I don't end up stuck in traffic. Those motorbike taxi drivers are expert at weaving around the traffic and I'm not afraid of the way they drive.
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

More than 30 years ago, on an ordinary weekday early evening, I was driving home from Rama IV to my house in Thonburi. Traffic stalled for reasons unknown. Trip time was 4 hours. It's certainly no better now and will never improve. Learn to use the MRT, Skytrain or anything else to avoid street travel. That's the only way to enjoy Bangkok. If I had it to do over again, I would buy a condo at the Colonnade on Saladang, near everything including shopping, restaurants and Soi Twilight.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I disagree with bobsaigon3 for I believe the traffic situation has in fact improved - a little. In the early 1990s a colleague of mine left the old Regent hotel on Rajadamri around 7:00 am to catch a flight back to Hong Kong. It took him 3 hours to reach Don Mueang! I live quite close to the expressways to both airports. Catching a flight in the morning against the inbound traffic flow it never takes my taxi more than 35 minutes. Even returning in the evening rush hour, I have never taken more than an hour.

Ironically The Colonnade on Saladaeng was one of the first buildings I looked at after deciding to purchase a small condo in 1999. Unlike many other buildings, however, the developer had decided not to reduce prices even by 1% despite the Asian Economic crisis having hit the property market badly.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Am not at all sure I'd want to live in Bangkok, however the skytrain & metro make it fairly easy to bypass the road traffic during my short stays in the town.

At least Bangkok has this kind of option & is expanding the network. Whereas in places like Manila, I believe you're left braving the road traffic.

Also, a general tip for travelling anywhere with a traffic risk. Use the navigation facility on google maps. This warns you about traffic, gives ETAs and alternative routes. The alternative routes are not perfect, but are way better than being unnecessarily stuck in traffic.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:Whereas in places like Manila, I believe you're left braving the road traffic.
As an aside, just a few days ago I was talking with a Filipino friend who lives in Bangkok and one of the things we were talking about was the traffic. He said, "I understand the complaints about the Bangkok traffic, but you have never been to Manila. Bangkok traffic at its worst is still much better than Manila traffic at its best."