Renewed my retirement extension - quick & no problems

Anything and everything about Thailand
mahjongguy

Re: Renewed my retirement extension - quick & no problems

Post by mahjongguy »

For the first annual extension, the money must be seasoned for two months. For subsequent extensions, it must be in place for three months.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

travelerjim wrote:" ...365 day extension of stay retirement visa + upon the conversion of the 3 month O visa into O/A = 15 months. It's all about connections with the $$$ ... "
You sentences above are strangely put.
You can't 'convert' anything into an 'O-A' visa inside Thaland. The O-A visa are available only in countries outside of Thailand.

~~ Simply put, you can 'convert' a 90-day Non Imm 'O' visa into a 12-month Non Imm 'O' visa (i.e. often referred to as a 'Retirement Visa').
Applying for this 12-month visa means you have to go through extra criteria ... the most important of which is the 'Money Issue'.

~~ This particular friend of TravelerJim is an 80 year old Canadian does not have enough money to navigate the 'Money Issue'. Thus, he is going to have to jump through some interesting hoops regarding how to make it LOOK like he has enough money to satisfy the regulations.

~~ He has a few options which he might take regarding the 'Money Issue' ... in my opinion none of them Really Good Ideas, but in fact they may well work seeing as how many cash-strapped farang do in fact employ "interesting hoops". And get away with it.

~~ By the way ... don't think for a minute you are pulling the wool over the Immigration Police heads with the 'borrowing money, then paying it back' gig. The Imm Police have seen everything ... the 'Money Issue' has been played around with for centuries. They know exactly what you are doing, but Thai Police being Thai Police, they will normally turn their heads regarding how you got large amounts of money into your bank. They especially like the Visa Agency route. Think, big tips!
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Joachim

Post by Joachim »

travelerjim wrote:Windwalker you are correct....

However it appears that the flow of $$$ makes for a magically expedited 3+12 month visa... So called 12 month ...365 day extension of stay retirement visa + upon the conversion of the 3 month O visa into O/A = 15 months. It's all about connections with the $$$.

Tj
Yes ,that was offered to be done for 30 days
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Smiles...

It can be converted inside Thailand. The norm procedure is for the application is sent to Bangkok for approval during the first 90 days of the 90 day 3 month visa. Upon approval during the final 30 days one returns to the local Immigration Office to complete the Full year retirement visa.

I personally have had to do this last year as I was outside of Thailand when my extension of stay expired.

BTW That wont happen again...
Better planning on my part.

Tj
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

My point was your reference to the O-A visa. The OA does not exist in Thailand. It exists only outside Thailand.
You should have referenced the O visa ... not the OA. A minor point I suppose, but relevant.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Thanks for the clarification Smiles

Tj
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

travelerjim wrote:Smiles...

It can be converted inside Thailand. The norm procedure is for the application is sent to Bangkok for approval during the first 90 days of the 90 day 3 month visa. Upon approval during the final 30 days one returns to the local Immigration Office to complete the Full year retirement visa.

I personally have had to do this last year as I was outside of Thailand when my extension of stay expired.

Tj
If you enter Thailand on a Non-Immigrant Visa (any category other than O-A), then you can apply for an extension of stay at local Immigration offices - on arrival you get 90 day permission to stay, which can be extended for another 365 days for certain reasons, retirement being one, and provide documentation required (varies depending on reason for applying for the extension). The prerequisite for long stay extensions is having the Non-Immigrant Visa. Bangkok approval is not required if applying based on retirement (if for married to a Thai, then Bangkok has to approve the extension).

If you enter Thailand using Visa Exempt (30 day permission to stay) or Tourist Visa (60 day permission to stay) and qualify for a long stay extension based on retirement, you must first apply to get a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa - this has to be approved in Bangkok, e.g., Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration will take the application and send it plus documents to Bangkok for approval which takes about 15 days. When it is approved and issued, you receive a 90 day permission to stay from date of issue. During the 90 day period, you apply to your local Immigration Office for a one-year extension based on retirement (latest I have heard is that Pattaya Immigration will no longer do it until the last 30 of the 90 days).
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

From the discussion above, I surmise that 30 day short-cut means that nothing is sent to BKK and everything is done in local immigration office(in best case scenario). I would not go for it. In my view, there is a risk.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

2lz2p wrote:
travelerjim wrote:Smiles...

Tj
If you enter Thailand on a Non-Immigrant Visa (any category other than O-A), then you can apply for an extension of stay at local Immigration offices - on arrival you get 90 day permission to stay, which can be extended for another 365 days for certain reasons, retirement being one, and provide documentation required (varies depending on reason for applying for the extension). The prerequisite for long stay extensions is having the Non-Immigrant Visa. Bangkok approval is not required if applying based on retirement (if for married to a Thai, then Bangkok has to approve the extension).

If you enter Thailand using Visa Exempt (30 day permission to stay) or Tourist Visa (60 day permission to stay) and qualify for a long stay extension based on retirement, you must first apply to get a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa - this has to be approved in Bangkok, e.g., Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration will take the application and send it plus documents to Bangkok for approval which takes about 15 days. When it is approved and issued, you receive a 90 day permission to stay from date of issue. During the 90 day period, you apply to your local Immigration Office for a one-year extension based on retirement (latest I have heard is that Pattaya Immigration will no longer do it until the last 30 of the 90 days).
Thank you 2lz2p....for the excellent explanation...
That's what happened to me last year. Took several steps to get my retirement visa issued once again in Thailand.

I got a visa on arrival. Then multiple steps following leading up to the issue of the 12 month visa.

This year I have better planning dates for my renewal.
Doing it in August... Best timing for me each year.

Tj
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

As usual, 2lz2p has the correct info.