New 10 year retirement visa approved

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: New 10 year retirement visa approved

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:I don't know of any Thai insurance that provides decent coverage to farang
Much depends on how old the foreigner is and how extensive travel outside Thailand is likely to be, but there are Thai-based companies offering medical insurance packages which are attractive at reasonable rates. One is Pacific Cross which used to be the local arm of the US-based Liberty Mutual. They have several plans, one of which provides worldwide outpatient and inpatient cover up to around Bt. 18,000 per bed night plus the standard "usual and reasonable" surgical and other fees. Premium depends on age and I am told it's around US$4,000 at 65 for the top plan. That won't help much if you travel to the USA and perhaps also to Europe but it certainly covers private room accommodation in all hospitals in Thailand and several surrounding countries. It will also cover ward accommodation in others. Accept ward accommodation here and the premium drops quite a bit. Deductibles per year vary according to the plan but I have heard $1,000 - $1,200 is about right. Taking outpatient off the plan reduces the policy cost by over $1,000.

The one problem is there is likely to be a lifetime limit. The policy I have seen allows around US$2 million. But I suspect this depends on the plan and perhaps some have zero limit.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

You are also required to have a medical check-up evaluation with Pacific Cross which used to be Pacific Care.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:there are Thai-based companies offering medical insurance packages
If it were me and if I had lost my mind to the point of actually being interested in obtaining this 10 year visa, before buying any insurance I would first check with Immigration to make sure the insurance company of interest and the policy I intend to buy will be acceptable. I'd hate to by an insurance policy for the purposes of this visa only to be told by Immigration that they won't accept it.

I'd make damned sure to find out first. If anyone is interested in this visa, you might want to check with Immigration to see if they provide a list of acceptable insurance providers.