Jomtien Complex Revisited

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Jomtien Complex Revisited

Post by Undaunted »

I had dinner tonight with two old friends at Au Bon Coin in Pratumnak, a wonderful restaurant, not for the price conscious. After much wine we went to the Complex. My memories of the past were of many fem twinks (not for me). This time the bars were crowded and I met a handsome 22 yr old Thai named Chen as the night continued he became a gem. The most obvious thing you notice besides the boys is that all the falangs including myself are 65+.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
surfside66

Re: Jomtien Complex Revisited

Post by surfside66 »

Undaunted,
I read your post with great interest. First I looked up "Au Bon Coin" on TripAdvisor and read some of the outstanding reviews, so it goes to the top of my list for the November trip. Also would like your opinion on other fine dining experiences you've had and would recommend. Going by TA opinions, Cafe des Amis, Mantra, Casa Pascal and Bruno's are considered fine dining...but your personal opinions would be appreciated. And certainly I'm looking forward to visiting the Complex for the first time.
Thanks,
Surf
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

surfside66 wrote:adult beverages
That's the best euphemism I've ever seen for booze . . .
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

"Cafe des Amis, Mantra, Casa Pascal and Bruno's".... I'm a fan of all of them except Bruno's. If you are a wine drinker, don't be shocked when the check comes. Au bon Coin, a favorite, I don't find overly expensive, certainly not a budget breaker for me. Add Cabbages and Condoms (for the view), the Grill Room (Royal Cliff) and Chrysanthemum(Chinese, Royal Cliff) to your list.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Folks, until today I did not know Uber is illegal in Thailand. See: viewtopic.php?f=3&p=81914#p81914

I have edited out sections of posts on this promoting its use. I'm sorry, but I don't need the potential problems. Use taxis, baht buses, motorbike taxis, or whatever else is legal. If you choose to use Uber, you do so at your own risk, but please - no more posts about Uber on this board. Again, I'm sorry, but I am going to delete any further posts promoting Uber or any similar illegal taxi service.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

I believe GrabTaxi is legal.
I have used it before and with very reasonable rates.
You can download their APP
I have always been picked up by a Pattaya taxi that's also accepting GrabTaxi. Courteous and prompt.
Tj
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Hi Surfside66
Cafe des Amis is excellent..Bruno's I think is past its prime as is Mata Hari.....Mantra for me is only special for its outstanding Sunday Brunch, I also like the Grill Room at the Royal Cliff resort. Au Bon Coin can be a bit tricky to find also now being low-low season it is only open Thurs. thru Sat.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

MOO: Cafe Des Amis is the absolute best.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Try News Steaks & Grill. It used to be called News Cafe. I thought it was mediocre then. Since it changed hands and is now News Steaks and Grill, in my opinion it is on par with the restaurants mentioned above.

http://newssteaks.com

And right within Jomtien Complex, I also like Yupin's.

http://www.yupins.com
surfside66

Post by surfside66 »

Gents,
I appreciate the recommendations, they've all gone on my list to make reservations once November draws nearer.
If you see a tall, large man with platinum blonde hair out and about (my dad was German...now chemically enhanced) it will probably be me.
Please say hello...
Thanks,
Surf