Transport in Pattaya and Patong

Anything and everything about Thailand
thaiworthy

Re: Transport in Pattaya and Patong

Post by thaiworthy »

If you ever have to travel from Ekkamai bus station in Bangkok, do not, do not, do not take the vans to Pattaya. The real bus tickets are sold at window #1, the window nearest the street. The vans pack you in with the luggage and they drive like crazy. These vans are responsible for a lot of accidents and fatalities. Then when you arrive in Pattaya, they dump you off in the middle of nowhere and you are responsible for getting elsewhere on your own.

Even better, go to the airport and take the bus from there, which will take you to Jomtien. If you plan to arrive at the airport late at night, you will be forced to take a taxi to Pattaya, which is what I did for many years. The buses do not operate 24 hours a day.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Here's a little tip for when you are leaving Jomtien to go to Swampy, especially during the busy season: stop by the bus station a day in advance and buy your ticket for a specific departure. Then there's no need to show up early the next day worried about getting a seat.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:Here's a little tip for when you are leaving Jomtien to go to Swampy
They will sell the tickets up to 3 days in advance.

They stop selling tickets at 8:00pm. If you're there at 8:01, you won't get a ticket.
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

A further tip: If you take the bus from Jomtien to Suvarnabhumi and have a ticket for an onward flight out of Don Muang, you can use the free transfer bus.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

billyhouston wrote:A further tip: If you take the bus from Jomtien to Suvarnabhumi and have a ticket for an onward flight out of Don Muang, you can use the free transfer bus.
I tried that once. Never again. Regardless of whether it's free. I was last to get off the bus, my particular driver drove off with some of my luggage still on board. Luggage is not stowed in the luggage compartment of the bus below. It is brought on board with you. I had to run after it and pound on the glass door until he stopped. They don't bother to check these things, they are in hurry and don't really give a shit about passengers. We had a shouting match afterward.

At your own risk, IMHO. You'll save some wear and tear on yourself with a taxi, or better yet, just use airlines to and from Swampy. DM is overcrowded, and cumbersome.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

thaiworthy wrote:In Pattaya, I take a baht bus from the northern bus station to my hotel. 50 baht a person. On the return, I get a baht bus for 10 baht to the Dolphin Roundabout, and 10 baht onto Pattaya Nua to the northern bus station. You are an easy mark when they see you with suitcases on the way back and want 100 baht if the bus is empty. The journey is worth 20-50 baht depending on how you travel. Not easy to explain. Better off just doing it GB's way.
When I arrive in North Pattaya Bus Station, I walk across the street and wait for a passing songtheo. Might take 5 minutes, but the ride is only 10 Baht (to traffic light at intersection Second Road / South Pattaya Road, from there I can easily walk to Tuk-Com). The last few trips, I didn't have to change at Dolphin Roundabout (going to South Pattaya); but van from South Pattaya to Nakluea, you have to change at Dolphin roundabout.
thaiworthy wrote:If you ever have to travel from Ekkamai bus station in Bangkok, do not, do not, do not take the vans to Pattaya. The real bus tickets are sold at window #1, the window nearest the street. The vans pack you in with the luggage and they drive like crazy. These vans are responsible for a lot of accidents and fatalities. Then when you arrive in Pattaya, they dump you off in the middle of nowhere and you are responsible for getting elsewhere on your own.
My underline. This is new to me. I thought the vans end at North Pattaya bus station, or the bus stop near Wat Chai on South Pattaya road, or they deliver passengers to their hotels (for an extra fee?). But I agree, whenever there is bus, I clearly prefer bus over van.