Transport in Pattaya and Patong

Anything and everything about Thailand
Oliver

Transport in Pattaya and Patong

Post by Oliver »

Hardly a new topic, but I am persuaded to raise this again from my hotel situated on the far-south part of Patong beach, chosen for its peaceful environment.
When P and I wish to travel to the centre for dinner or shopping , we use the tuk-tuks (more accurately small buses) that are the equivalent of Pattaya's baht-buses which receive so much comment here. The cost for every trip is a flat-rate of 200 bht, even for journeys no longer than Boyztown to Central.
Querying this, we quickly found that it is a cartel; no special offers, no exceptions.
It has made us appreciate what a good deal we get in Pattaya for the basic shopping, eating or even Jomtien trips we make.
Gaybutton

Re: Transport in Pattaya and Patong

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:The cost for every trip is a flat-rate of 200 bht
That is one of the reasons I don't go to Phuket anymore. 200 baht may not sound like much, but it is nearly US $6. And that's just one way. Round trip, now you're up to US $12. Are you going anywhere else that day? You could easily end up spending 1000 baht or more for trips that in Pattaya would probably cost around 100 baht. No thank you.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Oliver wrote:Querying this, we quickly found that it is a cartel; no special offers, no exceptions.
It has made us appreciate what a good deal we get in Pattaya for the basic shopping, eating or even Jomtien trips we make.
Pattaya is pretty much at the expected level for transport in SE Asia. Cheap, with some rough edges but still satisfactory.

The cartel was one of the things I didn't like in Patong beach. The principle of the whole thing offends. That is costing a whole lot more than a short trip where I live in the UK. Also, in many large Thai towns, they have a bus service where you can pay about 12 baht and take a trip of several km. That's where the pricing should be in Thailand

Thankfully, the place was compact enough for me to walk everywhere. However, being gouged would certainly discourage me from staying on the edge of town.
nynakedtop

Post by nynakedtop »

One problem I have in Pattaya may be of my own making... Getting to/from the bus station, I always seem to get into trouble. "baht busses" that won't go there, that overcharge me, etc.

Is there an easy solution to travel to/from jomtien to the bus station? I do admit that the problem may be of my own making...!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

nynakedtop wrote:Is there an easy solution to travel to/from jomtien to the bus station?
You say "the" bus station as if there were only one. Which one are you talking about? Are you talking about the main bus terminal on Pattaya Nua?

If so, as far as I know the easiest way to get there is to hire a baht bus as a taxi to take you there. From Jomtien, it should be about 150 baht, but not more than 200 baht.

Your other choice, since I assume you are staying in a hotel rather than sleeping in the middle of the street, is to have your hotel arrange transportation to the bus station.
nynakedtop

Post by nynakedtop »

Gaybutton wrote:Are you talking about the main bus terminal on Pattaya Nua?
apologies... i mean the one called "Express Bus Station" on Pattaya Nua,indeed.... appreciate the guidance of the cost, by the way - i tend to stay in small small venues so did not ask about pick up service, but perhaps i should. the lack of stress would be worth the price!
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

Unless it's changed, you can take a regular 10 Baht Bus to Pattaya Tai. Sometimes they continue on or you pay and change to another Baht Bus that continues up to Pattaya Nua (the circle) for another 10 Baht, then grab a third up Pattaya Nua to the bus station. You have expended a bit of time, schlept your suitcase around a bit, and expended a total of 30 Baht. Or do what GB says.

Since you're going to the bus station, I presume you're going onward from there. To Bangkok? Take a taxi for about 1000 THB from Jomtien. Or since you're in Jomtien, take the Suvarnabhumi bus to the airport and either taxi or sky train into town from there. Can also call Bell (?) I've never done that. There's also what some call suicide vans that you can pick up on Pattaya Tai. I don't recommend these. Many choices.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Should I ever go again to Patong, I will plan my trip so I don't need any of these overpriced public transport. In Samui in 2011 it was similar. Food in Patong is overpriced as well.

Jomtien to North Pattaya Bus station is indeed unconvenient and requires at least one change. If travelling to Bankok, better take line 389 to airport. After stopping at the airport gates where most passengers get off, it ends in a bus station on airport area that has various travel options into Bangkok.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I never go to Phuket anymore for the same reasons at GB. Anywho it's all ladyboys and show bars as far as I can tell. I had some fun times there, but that was SOO many years ago.

In Pattaya, I take a baht bus from the northern bus station to my hotel. 50 baht a person. On the return, I get a baht bus for 10 baht to the Dolphin Roundabout, and 10 baht onto Pattaya Nua to the northern bus station. You are an easy mark when they see you with suitcases on the way back and want 100 baht if the bus is empty. The journey is worth 20-50 baht depending on how you travel. Not easy to explain. Better off just doing it GB's way.
aussie

Post by aussie »

If you are traveling with luggage to the bus stations in Pattaya or Jomtiem and especially if it is very hot and/or raining the Grab taxi app might be worth a look.