November Trip - How would you split your time?

Anything and everything about Thailand
surfside66

November Trip - How would you split your time?

Post by surfside66 »

My last trip to Thailand was 2001, now at age 57 I'm returning with a platonic buddy who's never been. Previously, I'd visited in the late eighties and several times through the nineties, usually with a traveling companion or two. We're flying in from California via Hong Kong, and will stay several nights there, then on to BKK and then Pattaya. (Sadly, no non-stops on Thai Airlines...they had superb business and first class service in those days). His interests are similar to mine...playing tourist by day, bar hopping by night. So my question to you fellows is this: How would you split-up a net 10 day holiday accompanied by a first timer?
Undaunted

Re: November Trip - How would you split your time?

Post by Undaunted »

First it would serve you well to lower your expectaions as things have changed dramatically in the 16 years since your last visit. Your friend will enjoy seeing Bangkok, Pattaya is not really a place for sightseeing. I should think 3-4 days in BKK should be adaquate. Pattaya's gay scene is now centered around Jomtien Complex and Boystown, as Boystown has less venues today then 2001 Jomtien Complex has boomed over the last few years. The boys that used to work the beach have all but gone. I have not mentioned Sunee Plaza as it was wonderful in 2001 but it has fallen on hard times and would be nothing at all as you might remember.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
surfside66

Post by surfside66 »

Yes, as a infrequent lurker over the years I'm informally aware that times have changed.
However, I've never visited Jomtien Complex on any of my visits, so it will be new to both myself and my friend.
As far as Sunee Plaza goes, I remember it being mostly beer bars and such however I'm drawing a blank on whether I liked it or
not. I've recently noted that Winner Bar is newish, so I'd like to give it a go. Pity the beach scene ended, that was fun.
I like your idea of three or four days in BKK, that should be enough to enjoy a few "greatest hits" sightseeing tours.
Thanks,
Surf
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Undaunted, I agree that Sunee is a shadow of its former self. However, it didn’t really get going until the late 90s. So, it may be that surfside66 has never seen it banging.
surfside66

Post by surfside66 »

Daniel, Undaunted...
Last night I took out my photo albums to see if I could place Sunee. Boyztown is easy to ID due to all the obvious signage in the various Sois.
Many photographs were taken in Soi 3 from Panorama Bar as well as the Ambiance where I used to stay previously (this November trip we'll stay at Baan Souy so I can visit with Jim, who has been most gracious to me in the old Ambiance days). I found a few photos taken at what I believe to be Sunee, as well as scouted Google Images, so now I recall my one evening "banging" around those bars. Lots of expats who I enjoyed chatting with along with loads of good looking lads :)
Thanks,
Surf
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Daniel wrote:Undaunted, I agree that Sunee is a shadow of its former self. However, it didn’t really get going until the late 90s. So, it may be that surfside66 has never seen it banging.
Sunee Plaza was banging in 2000 when I first visited there.It was off the beaten track especially for newcomers and it took us a while to find it even though only a short distance from Boyztown.