A visit to Prisma

Anything and everything about Thailand
Montree

A visit to Prisma

Post by Montree »

I visited the new version of the Prisma Bar in Boys Town for the first time. At 9.30 I counted 20 guys with 10 actually dancing at a time. A nice selection of guys with some very much to my taste (young looking, slim and I don't mind if they are a bit "femme" but no tattoos please - I often have to compromise on that last one).

However I instantly recognised a guy I had offed several times over the years, originally from Vassa (now closed). I felt duty bound to ask him to join me as I knew he'd been through a rough time recently so I wanted to catch up. That's when the problem that had been very apparent from as soon as I entered really came to the fore. The music was deafening and any form of conversation was absolutely impossible. The fittings in the bar were shaking it was so loud. It's the reason I didn't stay long and if it stays at that level it's the reason I won't be going back.

It's sad as it is a nice bar otherwise.
Gaybutton

Re: A visit to Prisma

Post by Gaybutton »

Montree wrote:The music was deafening and any form of conversation was absolutely impossible. The fittings in the bar were shaking it was so loud. It's the reason I didn't stay long and if it stays at that level it's the reason I won't be going back.
That is exactly what I have been complaining about for years. Not only is there no valid reason why the music volume has to be that loud, but it is also against the law - not that anybody bothers to enforce the law.

The music volume complaints fall on deaf ears - literally deaf - caused by too much exposure to music at that volume.

I'm with you on this one. I don't enjoy being in a place where the music volume is so loud that it hurts my ears and then my ears throb for at least an hour after I leave. Definitely (or should I say deaf-initely) not for me.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I hope you told them the music is too loud. Plus your boy.

Better still anyone who is lucky enough to be in Boys Town should walk up to the place, open the door, cover their ears, shake their head & leave clearly telling the doorman why they are going.

Good management should be smart enough to figure out by themselves that loud music is turning customers away
Average management should be smart enough to figure it out if people keep walking out because if the noise & telling them so. So lets give them a little help.
If they have really dumb management, even that will not be enough and it will got the way of some other closed gogo bars.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Good management
Average management
dumb management
Out of the 3 types of management you specified, guess which one typifies most bars - at least the ones I've gone to . . .
a447

Post by a447 »

If the owner is present, then he would listen to his customers and turn the volume down.

But often the bars have an absentee owner and the management runs the bar to suit themselves. If they like loud music, that's what you'll get.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote:If the owner is present, then he would listen to his customers and turn the volume down.
Where did you get that idea? Are you under the impression that nobody thought of speaking to the bar owners before, even when they're present? Walk into most of the bars and you'll quickly understand how well talking to the bar owners went.
a447

Post by a447 »

Well, it worked with Neal - yes, that one. I made numerous suggestions ; e.g. indicate cock size by the numbers on the guys' briefs (1 number= small, 2 numbers = medium and 3 numbers = huge), stop the guys changing into shorts when they came and sat with you, offer prizes to the customers, etc. He acted on every suggestion.

Also Raymond from Sunny Boys listened. He told me he was changing the lighting after some customers complained the bar was too bright.

So they are not all disinterested.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

a447 wrote:So they are not all disinterested.
Interested or not it didn't do anything to insure their survival.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Please reassure me by reporting that the music is inside a closed bar, unlike at the two open show bars in the soi that allow all and sundry to enjoy (sic) their music. Whether or not they want to.
One aspect that is not always remembered is that the health of the workers who are subjected to this for five plus hours or so is impaired. Doctors have warned that the incidence of damaged hearing in early middle-age has increased.
a447

Post by a447 »

Undaunted wrote:
a447 wrote:So they are not all disinterested.
Interested or not it didn't do anything to insure their survival.
True. But their demise was not caused by ignoring their customers. That was my point.

Neal's bar failed because he was no longer there to oversee it.

Raymond's failed despite being full night after.