Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Anything and everything about Thailand
User avatar
mahjongguy
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:07 pm
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

#81 Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Postby mahjongguy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:27 pm

The construction project has not required the closing of any of the beach vendors but the noise and activity make it a little less pleasant getting there and being there. When the project is completed the road will be wider and the sidewalk will be a straight shot down along the road instead of meandering along just by the vendors. And, trust me, there will be plenty of palms.

What will be missing is most of the empty space where children played and the massage folks would ply their trade.

Visitors who prefer the former less-engineered look can go just a bit further, almost to the Rabbit Resort, where the rest of Dong Tarn remains unchanged.

Two uncertainties:
- will the road still be closed in the daytime?
- will the new rules for vendor concessions really go into effect? That would mean that some vendors would be out and others might have to change location. This is not related to the cosmetic work but could have a much greater impact on the "gay beach" as we've known it.

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 160 times

#82 Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Postby Undaunted » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:44 pm

mahjongguy wrote:Two uncertainties:
- will the road still be closed in the daytime?
- will the new rules for vendor concessions really go into effect? That would mean that some vendors would be out and others might have to change location. This is not related to the cosmetic work but could have a much greater impact on the "gay beach" as we've known it.

You say the "gay beach" as we've known it. What made it a gay beach for many was all the boys that used to be available at the beach years ago, does some old gay guys on the same plot of sand really make it a "gay beach"?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

User avatar
mahjongguy
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:07 pm
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

#83 Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Postby mahjongguy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:21 pm

Undaunted wrote:...does some old gay guys on the same plot of sand really make it a "gay beach"?

Yes, it does, and it seems that there are ex-pats and visitors who want that, even though the freelancers no longer come out to frolic. My point is that if the half dozen vendors who promote their spaces with gay flags and such are scattered amongst the 100 or more other vendors on Jomtien and Dong Tarn beaches, then there will no longer be a gay beach by any definition.

User avatar
thaiworthy
Posts: 1269
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: Bang Na, Bangkok
Liked: 55 times
Been liked: 122 times

#84 Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Postby thaiworthy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am

Undaunted wrote:You say the "gay beach" as we've known it. What made it a gay beach for many was all the boys that used to be available at the beach years ago, does some old gay guys on the same plot of sand really make it a "gay beach"?

I agree. I think this is a very astute observation, actually. I wouldn't go to a bar that didn't have boys in it. Similarly, just because we have been accustomed to it in the past, does not make the label "gay beach" any more valid now. It's nice to reminisce if it makes us more comfortable to be someplace we have always enjoyed before.
Whenever you're feeling down, remember that you're the sperm that won.

User avatar
mahjongguy
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:07 pm
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 42 times

#85 Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Postby mahjongguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:30 am

Because nearly all the customers are old, it's not a gay beach?


Return to “Thailand”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests