Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Anything and everything about Thailand
Concerned

Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Post by Concerned »

This may be of no interest to your members but it does appear that the sewer pipes that have been laid in the sands of Dongtan Beach starting (and capped) at the White House, then making a U turn around the toilet block then resuming their march towards the car park are now it appears going to go around the car park. So when they hit the car park there is a 90 degree turn towards the water & then where the car park meets the beach another 90 degree turn to the left & then the sewer pipes continue parallel to the car park on reclaimed beach in front of the car park & then heading directly towards the police station. Presumably the public footpath will be on top of the sewer pipes i.e. on reclaimed beach in front of the car park. The catchment drain for the sewer pipes is the stretch of road from the car park to the White House.Incidentally the car park is obviously going to be shrunk if the road is widened.These sewer pipes as I have said in earlier posts capture the rain water that used to fall into the sand of the beach & water the palm trees, since removed. The old drainage system under the road is still intact. Assuming my observations above are correct what is to happen to this wall of water when it reaches the police station? The intersection where the police station is located is a notorious flood trap so you would not want to bring any more water in. So is the water & its catchment drain contents going to be released into the sea at Dongtan Beach at the Police Station?
Concerned

Post by Concerned »

I may have jumped the gun saying that Dongtan Beach around & in front of the car park is being reclaimed for the laying of the above mentioned sewer pipes. It now appears the beach is being reclaimed to build a retaining wall which may mean the car park is going to be extended into the reclaimed beach. Presumably this encroachment is to compensate for the loss of car park with the widening of the road and walkway through the car park? Which brings me back to the sewer pipes. As there are many of them lying around in front of Sand Bar I presume the car park is going to be dug up to lay them parallel to the road heading directly towards the police station. The excavation of the car park to lay the pipes is much more challenging than digging up the sands of Dongtan Beach because the car park appears to be compressed rocks & what is to happen to this wall of water when it reaches the police station?
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"...what is to happen to this wall of water when it reaches the police station?"

Just my guess, but I believe it will turn right at the police station, then left to run behind it, then —one way or another— out to sea.

Other questions: Will they repair the drain covers in the middle of the newly poured road or just leave them all wonky? Will they clear up the front of the toilet or force people going down the sidewalk to step into the road?

But mainly, will they continue to keep vehicles out from 10am to 5pm? I'm starting to doubt it.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Chatted with the owner of the Sandbar. The construction yard (the old parking lot) is directly in front of his restaurant. What some call a retaining wall will be part of a pathway that goes around the perimeter of the old parking area. The construction yard will be moved north slightly so new sewer pipe can be laid connecting the recently installed pipe with the sewer line installed two years ago on Jomtien Beach Rd.
aussie

Post by aussie »

Work in progress - September 12

The proposed car park area

Pattaya direction - the toilet is locked

From Rits concession towards Pattaya
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"Completion of the Dongtan section is scheduled for January, but Nong Nooch Landscape & Design predicts the job will be finished sooner."

"...a five-meter-wide footpath and 1,000 new trees."

from http://www.pattayamail.com/news/dongtan ... rly-186128
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

- I swear the first article I read back in June said the target date was in October.

- There is no room for 1,000 new trees. Just more awful reporting. I'm guessing they meant "new plants". That's probably 100 palms and 900 small shrubs, which is plenty enough.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I'm too lazy to read all these threads...so here's a dumb question:

Is the gay beach open for business...or closed until this construction is finished?
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

I was in Jomtien on Aug 14 for a few days and went to the beach twice.
The above photos were apparently taken on Sept. 12, and frankly the place looked on Aug 14 not that much different than it was on Sept 12.
Here it is Sept 17 and we need a batch of new photos.
Anybody ... anybody?

Dodger, it seemed to me the ongoing construction area was a few meters away from the first lines of umbrellas. There seems to be quite a lot of lost space before you reach the public toilet ... but quite a bit better after the toilet, with fewer trees pulled up, and in general more room for the umbrella businesses.
I got the impression that life would still go while the road/walkway/water pipes construction kept up appearances.
But more hands-on information is needed now on Sept 17.
Anybody ... anybody?
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

The construction project has not required the closing of any of the beach vendors but the noise and activity make it a little less pleasant getting there and being there. When the project is completed the road will be wider and the sidewalk will be a straight shot down along the road instead of meandering along just by the vendors. And, trust me, there will be plenty of palms.

What will be missing is most of the empty space where children played and the massage folks would ply their trade.

Visitors who prefer the former less-engineered look can go just a bit further, almost to the Rabbit Resort, where the rest of Dong Tarn remains unchanged.

Two uncertainties:
- will the road still be closed in the daytime?
- will the new rules for vendor concessions really go into effect? That would mean that some vendors would be out and others might have to change location. This is not related to the cosmetic work but could have a much greater impact on the "gay beach" as we've known it.