Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Post by Up2u »

My first visit to the gay beach was at the end of the last century, but I heard the old stories from the then old timers. Unlike other vendors, that area of beach (which btw was in front of the now vt5) made us feel comfortable and welcome, had no issues with our sexuality, and of course we returned year after year. I no longer sit at Rits section as there are more comfortable gay sections now further north but I still chat with Rit like I never left. Perhaps I am overreacting, but if this lottery plan is implemented the current gay friendly vendors could be left out in the cold entirely or moved to a spot nobody can find. My friends come to our gay section year after year, are loyal and I would hate to lose that. Other sections that cater to specific groups are also impacted, I have seen the Dutch flag and the Union Jack as examples, and further north the Russian families. The point is all this is completely unnecessary and the authorities don't understand the consequences.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:My friends come to our gay section year after year, are loyal and I would hate to lose that.
It's as if the powers-that-be are intentionally trying to undermine everything Dongtan Beach has been for all these years. I have no idea why they would want to do that, but to me that's what it looks like they're doing.

As for the gay section, if the gays continue to go to the same section, then it will continue to be the gay section. The concessionaires might change, but it would still be the gay section.

There are also the people loyal to Rit and would continue to go to Rit wherever they put him.

What bothers me the most is everything they've done to the beaches both in Pattaya and Phuket was never necessary in the first place. It was all just fine - right until a few people who managed to get themselves into authority decided to change everything. I have yet to meet anyone who is happy with what they've done. For me, now whenever I refer to Pattaya's gay beach, I'm thinking in the past tense.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I don't think they care about Mr.Rit or anyone else. They have a plan to make the beach better in their mind in the hope to make the beach a better tourist destination and if someone makes some money on the changes all the better, to this I will add that if the rumor is true about a large shopping center to span next to Pan Pan all the way to the beach....not only the beach will change but the small stuctures that make up Jomtien Complex will become very attactive to new developers, you can't fight "the winds of change".....see link:

http://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthrea ... beach-gone
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Isn't what is happening at the beach so typical of Thailand's leadership in general? I have noticed for decades coming here on business and later living here a major reluctance on the part of Thai managers and administrators to admit that they don't know how to solve problem issues and yet will somehow attempt to do so totally on their own. There is a great reluctance to spend just a little money employing overseas consultants who know a great deal more about those issues than they do. The end result is they make decisions which are often totally irrational (other than to themselves). And frequently they then have to bring a consultant or two to sort out the mess they create.

Wasn't this the case with Thailand's airlines being put on notice by ICAO, the FAA and other international bodies in early 2015? The government was given a whole 9 months to sort out the problems and promised they would be. They weren't! So instead of bringing in international consultants right at the start, they then had to spend a great deal more by bringing them in at the later date to ensure flights to many countries could continue. I don't get it!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:frequently they then have to bring a consultant or two to sort out the mess they create.
And then they have to bring in somebody to sort out the mess they create when they screw up that too . . .
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

It sounds like the beach is to be "closed" Wednesday and Thursday. Is that right? No chairs/umbrellas on Wednesday and Thursday? Why? I hope those of us who are in Pattaya will call and let them know it's not an acceptable idea to us. I know, they're trying to get rid of us pesky tourists.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

jimnbkk wrote:I hope those of us who are in Pattaya will call and let them know it's not an acceptable idea to us.
I have no idea who to call. It's useless to call City Hall. All anyone ever gets from them is nice lip service over the phone and then the call is duly ignored. Besides, these beach decisions, as far as I know, are coming from the military, not the city. I have no clue how to contact the military or who to talk to.

There is also the possibility that those kinds of calls could backfire and end up making things worse.

I think the thing to do is talk to the beach concessionaires before anyone starts making calls. I would want to know if they think such calls from farang would be helpful or harmful. If they think it would be helpful, then I would also want them to tell us who to call - and give us the phone number.
martyinsiam

Post by martyinsiam »

This is Up2u"s post at #37 on this thread:

The vendors know they cannot speak out against this government and tell me it is us, their customers, who must express their displeasure. Call 1337 and see if they even listen. My section has been in business for many years and Rits even longer. Can you imagine coming here for your holiday and not finding your favorite vendor? This lottery system could be the end of the gay beach as we know it. Up to us speak up.
Marc Keps

Post by Marc Keps »

This is all very sad. I don't want to be too cynical, but it surely does appear that someone in City Hall wants to scramble, if not dismantle, Pattaya's quiet, peaceful "gay beach". Like Gaybutton, I can find no other reason which explains why this last quiet stretch of beachfront would be uprooted so completely. In terms of the beach vendors, I hope they can survive on 5 days income and having to incur the extra expense of hauling and storing their beach equipment elsewhere on Wed and Thurs. Really it all just makes me sad.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

I'm at Diagram beach Monday... Niyom Place next to Rita Orange chairs.
The sidewalk is gone... So are many Palm trees.
I wonder what the future will be as the construct continues to widen the beach walk street and install new large drainage pipe.

These pic taken in front of VT 5 and Avalon Resort Hotel

And from Niyom.Place

Indeed it is going to be a very different Dongtan beach in the coming year.

Tj