Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Changes Coming To Dongtan Beach

Post by Undaunted »

mahjongguy wrote: Two uncertainties:
- will the road still be closed in the daytime?
- will the new rules for vendor concessions really go into effect? That would mean that some vendors would be out and others might have to change location. This is not related to the cosmetic work but could have a much greater impact on the "gay beach" as we've known it.
You say the "gay beach" as we've known it. What made it a gay beach for many was all the boys that used to be available at the beach years ago, does some old gay guys on the same plot of sand really make it a "gay beach"?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Undaunted wrote:...does some old gay guys on the same plot of sand really make it a "gay beach"?
Yes, it does, and it seems that there are ex-pats and visitors who want that, even though the freelancers no longer come out to frolic. My point is that if the half dozen vendors who promote their spaces with gay flags and such are scattered amongst the 100 or more other vendors on Jomtien and Dong Tarn beaches, then there will no longer be a gay beach by any definition.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Undaunted wrote: You say the "gay beach" as we've known it. What made it a gay beach for many was all the boys that used to be available at the beach years ago, does some old gay guys on the same plot of sand really make it a "gay beach"?
I agree. I think this is a very astute observation, actually. I wouldn't go to a bar that didn't have boys in it. Similarly, just because we have been accustomed to it in the past, does not make the label "gay beach" any more valid now. It's nice to reminisce if it makes us more comfortable to be someplace we have always enjoyed before.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Because nearly all the customers are old, it's not a gay beach?
Concerned

Post by Concerned »

My understanding is that stage 2 of the beautification of Dongtan Beach is imminent. Stage 2 as I understand it is a continuation of the reclamation of Dongtan Beach for a widened road & new footpath structure starting at the White House & continuing to the huge block of land between Jomtien Condotel ( Rabbit Resort) & Pattaya Park. On page 1 of this topic is an aerial photograph of that huge block of land that stretches from Thappraya Road down to Dongtan Beach. The new construction site for this stage 2 is being erected within this block of land at the Dongtan Beach end. If you enjoy a massage beneath the trees on the sand in front of Rabbit Resort I suggest you do it quickly.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Concerned wrote:My understanding is that stage 2 of the beautification of Dongtan Beach is imminent.
While they're at it, maybe they'll finally, actually, do something to clean up the polluted water and make it fit to swim in again.

Remember when they thought a great idea was to install those giant screen TVs at the beach? That went over real big, just about like everything else they come up with. That lasted what, about 2 weeks? I guess it didn't take long for them to figure out that people weren't going to the beach to watch Rocky and Bullwinkle.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

The latest change at the gay beach is the replacement of the the wood/canvass chairs with the white plastic loungers exclusively. Many of the vendors only offer four rows of loungers. Period. Some have a few of the old style chairs for their regular customers who ask for them. Rit's, for example, was exclusively white loungers. It looks like a matter of economics, the loungers are 100 baht and the old style chairs are 40 baht. My section, further to the north, still maintained the ratio 50/50, but they are becoming the exception.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

rocket wrote:I’ll only rent the loungers that you can stretch out on. The wooden ones that you can only sit on are comfortable for about twenty minutes.
Each to his own, as I find the white loungers an expensive nuisance. Can't do a chair massage, difficult to eat my lunch, take up more space. Did I mention more expensive, especially if you are a beach regular. My preference is a regular plastic chair as at my age the old style canvass chairs are uncomfortable for me.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Up2u wrote:My preference is a regular plastic chair as at my age the old style canvass chairs are uncomfortable for me.
Agreed 100%. Gimme a plain old chair anytime.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Some of the beach changes can be viewed in this video. Hopefully you can decipher the heavy Aussie accent. Also is his link on the new Terminal 21.