The Super A Bar, Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
Oliver

Re: The Super A Bar, Bangkok

Post by Oliver »

Thanks....fascinating information. It seems that Aids-awareness coincided with a massive increase in gay bars. The Hong Kong connection is new to me.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

As I mentioned, I well remember that article appearing in the SCMP as well as another major 2-page feature in Asiaweek magazine (now defunct) at almost the same time. I have no idea if the statistics on HIV infections in Thailand were anything like accurate. I suspect not, even though Thailand had for some years had a highly effective family planning programme which promoted the use of condoms. I reckon the Thais were being influenced in part by the commercial Japanese sex venue operators. Around that time, foreigners were banned from all but one of Tokyo's many gay saunas. That ban was to last about a dozen years, but of course, the horse had already bolted.

As for the number of gay bars opening in Thailand, I think it is not so surprising given that the scene had been very restricted before then. There were very few gay bars in Bangkok and probably just one in Pattaya at the beginning of that decade. The rapid development of the girlie bars and the popularity of the few gay bars (I recall the weekend audiences at Twilight in the early 1980s and then later Bariery were far more Thai than farang) no doubt had the new developers eyeing nice profits.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

And of course, the impact of cheaper flights from the UK, Europe and the US contributed. The gay community was quick to discover Asian delights and financially capable of experiencing them....and the bars had their customers and their money. Before long-mid-nineties I'd guess- the internet was also advertising what was available.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

So, what was the correct name, Super Lex, Lux, Lek or as the posted news clip stated, Super Rex? To a native Thai speaker they all are pronounced about the same. Curiosity led me to http://eap.bl.uk/database/overview_item ... 687;r=6511 Thai Guys issue 7 [2000] 21 / 37

They called it Super Lex.

Ahh memories.....
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

It was indeed Super Lex. Over on gaythailand there is an old post of over 6 years ago where both lonely wombat and Supremack (shamelessmack's final handle) usd that title.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

According to my 1997 edition (the 6th) of The Men of Thailand, it was called 'Super Lex Matsuda'.
"Innovative shows,perhaps the best of the city's gay bars........
......Last Saturday of every month, Super Lex stages a special show with 200 Baht entrance (incl. 1 drink). Including a 'Handsome Boy' contest.
Contestants represent their bars. Japanese spoken."

I never really liked Super Lex and found the boys a bit arrogant.

Looking at the pictures of the boys in the Men of Thailand and Trees in the Same Forest (1991) I got to wondering what the boys look like now --- then I happened to glance in a mirror!
As a PS, I notice that one of the contributors to TMOT was Doug Thompson -- isn't that he of Purple Dragon travel?
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Looking again at TMOT I can find no mention of Super A and yet I'm sure it was there in the 80s/90s.
At least it's upstairs (over the rickety rusty cast iron bridge) version looked as though it had been there since the beginning of the last century.
The ultimate in sleaze.
One of the original boys from upstairs is now a doorman downstairs --- a lovely boy, do say hallo.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I like Super A. I don't find sleeze, it finds me. Sometimes it's the boy and sometimes it's my own attitude at fault.

The last time I took a guy upstairs, an old lady solicited me for 100 baht as a service fee for cleaning "the room." I gave her 20 baht.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Bangkokian wrote:Looking again at TMOT I can find no mention of Super A and yet I'm sure it was there in the 80s/90s.
In the same soi there was both Super A and Super Lex. The latter was run by Lex Matsuda but it was never known by his full name - merely Super Lex. I am not sure exactly when each started but it was definitely during the 1980s.
a447

Post by a447 »

In any case, we are not really discussing Super A, the bar. We are discussing the building and/or soi, as I'm sure there is no connection whatsoever between the bar of yesteryear and today's reincarnation.

On my last visit to Bangkok I didn't go near the place. Normally, I always drop in late at night for a bit of hands-on fun before bedtime. But I've had enough of the two mamasans - especially the non-ladyboy one - and the boys are hit and miss.

And those fucking mooks!!!