The Super A Bar, Bangkok

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

The Super A Bar, Bangkok

Post by Trongpai »

I had not been over to any of the Silom soi 6 bars in a few years but I was told by a Bangkok resident I ran into in Pattaya that the Super A has a new owner, has been renovated and has a new lease on life. It had been floundering for many years. I do have fond memories of the old Super A back in the 80's and early 90's but those days are gone.

I recently went over to soi 6 and was met by a door man that I have not seen in many years. He said it's true the Super A has come back. It's still in the same place, downstairs and to say it was renovated is a bit of a stretch. Well, It's clean now, that's a change. No price hikes and still at 1/4 th price of soi Twilight bars. I was told the light are new. The AC worked. I was told the seats are new but they looked like the old ones to me. Last time I was there the AC was broken and there were three or four scraggy boys.

There were 15 or so boy and not a bad selection of 18 and up slim types mostly. No shows, just a host bar. Years ago Super A had shows. Short time rooms upstairs for 300B. I think off fee is 300, not sure and drinks 100B.

So, I guess the biggest improvement is both the quantity and quality of the boys. There were customers too.

There's been some new development on soi 6. Right across from the Super A they are building a new condo. There's lots of new Asian restaurants on the soi, a few small Chinese ones and one large Japanese restaurant. Many of the old building are being demolished and something likely will be going in. One can only wonder how this new development will effect the few remaining soi 6 sleaze bars.
thaiworthy

Re: The Super A Bar, Bangkok

Post by thaiworthy »

I was there Sunday night. They quoted the rooms at 200 baht and drinks 150. I saw no renovations.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I was there last month and there were no renovations the seedy atmosphere is part of it's charm, I liked the place more when it was upstairs but it remains a fun place to play as is nature boys......There are less and less reasons to visit Soi Twilight but Soi 6 hasn't changed much atleast for now.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I have visited probably half a dozen times since it moved downstairs to street level. I also can't see any sign of renovations and rarely have there been more than 10 boys there. But I agree with Undaunted that it has a certain sleazy charm. The boys I have invited over for drinks have always been up for some hands on enjoyment. If you don't show any interest within the first few minutes, most of the boys get hooked into their phones and will stay that way unless you ask the mamasan to have one or two sit with you. I often wonder how the bar keeps going. Most times I see potential customers look in the door, they then disappear without even entering. So there is rarely more than 1 or 2 other customers when my friends and I are there - usually between 11:00 and midnight.
neddy3

Post by neddy3 »

It sounds as if there is a bit more lively activity here than there has been. A welcome development.

I have not been for quite a while, but maybe a visit soon is warranted.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I stopped going two years ago....though, to be fair, "going" meant once or twice a year. The last time was so dispiriting I crossed it off my list.
If there are indeed more guys available and it is possible to have a drink and look without being harassed and (importantly for me) not be the only punter, then I may try again.
pong

Post by pong »

It started in that place-beside it, and soon after opened a 2nd bar across (apparently now demolished), name was Lucky S. After many years of (at least for BKK) good service, plenty of willing guys and no slightly hidden begging for tipping, they merged into upper floor of SprA. BY that time I had long standing arrangement with one guy and we just met before he was supposed to appear for service there. All that time there were (except perhaps when there were really too few customers present) ''life shows'', always with that she-male long-haired mamasan.
Well, anyway, good to see there are more longtime visitors with good memories and that this place does not get forgotten between all those super expensive soi Hotmail places.
Oh-and that this get posted on the forum thats mostly Pattaya too!
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I don't remember a 'Super S' but I recall fondly a 'Super Lux' I think the Super Lux was the first to offer full penetration sex shows. It closed sometime in mid 90's.

My first visit to the Super A go-go was December 1985. How long it had been there before then, I don't know.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

If my memory is correct, the name was Super Lek and it was run my a man named Lek Masuda. I'm also not sure if it was the first to offer fuck shows - although it may have been the first in that Soi. Twilight had fuck shows certainly by 1982/3. The boys would start on the tiny stage behind the bar and then clamber inelegantly over the wide gap on to the bar top where they'd make their way at least half way along before returning to the stage.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Checking for information about Lek Masuda (who was Japanese), I was surprised to find this article from Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post of 12 January 1986 which throws up some interesting info on the gay bars at that time. I can well remember the article appearing and fearing that my quite regular trips to Bangkok might have to be curtailed as the Thai government was threatening not just to ban Hong Kong guys from them but to close them altogether.

But it was all just talk. No one was banned and the bars stayed open. There was of course a very real fear of HIV at that time as the disease had only recently begun to appear in Asia. It was known from the west, though, that infection was a death a sentence.

The basic information it conveys is –

* Bar owners in Thailand fear Hong Kong gays may spread AIDS in Bangkok. This could ruin the country’s tourist industry.

* Patpong then had four gay bars – Garden, Harries, Ciros and Lonely Boy.

* The news that at least 63 Hong Kong people “may” be infected had resulted in a decline of 30% in the bar business.

* Bar boys were paid Bt. 30 per day and an extra Bt. 80 if they took part in the sex shows.

* 14 new gay bars had opened up in Bangkok in the previous 12 months.

* Two years earlier there was only one gay bar in Pattaya. Over the past 12 months 9 had opened in Pattaya.