Nong Kai Candle Festival advice

Anything and everything about Thailand
ก้นconnoisseur

Nong Kai Candle Festival advice

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Hello all. I’m hoping to get some sage advice from Thailand travelers on going to Nong Kai. I’m considering taking a side trip this summer to the Candle Festival in July by train (I like train travel, done the Chang Mai trip many times). My questions:

• Has anyone gone to the festival?
• Any opinions of the festival or of Nong Kai itself?
• Anyone have any midrange hotel recommendations? Are hotels booked out during the festival?
• I would need to try and get train tickets the same day I land in BKK (for the night train). Is this feasible or are trains booked way beforehand this time of year?
• I’m also considering a stop off at Ayutthaya. Anyone done this? It looks like it’s good for one day.

Thanks in advance for input!
fountainhall

Re: Nong Kai Candle Festival advice

Post by fountainhall »

I assume you probably have another reason for visiting Nong Khai because Thailand has quite a number of Candle Festivals and the one in Ubon Ratchathanee is the most impressive. I was there 10 years ago and the day of the Procession was one of the most wonderful of my years in Thailand. The whole city seems to take part. A fews photos are attached.

I am sorry I cannot answer any of your questions re Nong Khai since the nearest I have been was Udon Thani. But as that is only 60 kms from Nong Khai, there are lots of buses linking the two and plenty of flights to Udon from Bangkok, I'd be tempted just to fly rather than bother with a long train ride. I have no idea about trains but expect there should be seats as not many will go from Bangkok for the Festival.

If you decide to switch to Ubon, you must check hotel availability first. I had a lot of trouble even booking some months in advance. There were plenty of rooms available outside the city but I did not want to hire a car or rely on buses. In the end I got a cancellation at one of the hotels in middle of the city.

The Tourist Authority of Thailand is a pretty useless organisation. Its website has info on several Candle Festivals - but nothing I can see on the one in Nong Khai.

https://www.tourismthailand.org/Events- ... ival--5307

You'll have no difficulty getting a one-day tour to Ayutthaya. You can also do it under your own steam if you want to be more adventurous.
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

You might consider the Pantawee Hotel in Nong Khai. It's been years since I stayed there but recent reviews are favorable. I recall it was a bit quirky in design and reception staff had difficulty with English, but the location is good. When I stayed there, the owner/manager was a 40-something lady boy who was always quite pleasant. Try to make a reservation now to see if they're fully booked for your dates.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I just booked 7-9 July, Nong Kai Amanti Hotel via Agoda with no problems but I would not wait long. This is not like some of the other festivals where rooms get booked out, blocked out or price gouged.

Agree with others. Take an airplane. The train is not the same as those that go to Chiang Mai.

The train to Ayutthaya from BKK is not a problem but try for one of the first class ones. At the train station you'll see something like a tuk-tuk that will take you to the historic sites and wait for you--not expensive. There's a lot of temples, research some and select. You can do this as a day trip from BKK but if you want to take it easy there's plenty of rooms in Ayutthaya.

I've noticed Thais doing Ayutthaya. They go to an auspicious (lucky) number of temples and light a few joss sticks, a candle and move on to the next. They could care less about history.

https://www.amazon.com/History-Thailand ... 0521016479

By BF told me in school he was taught that Ayutthaya was attacked by Burma (the bad people) but the Thai people (the good people) kicked them out and then moved to Bangkok and continued being good people so you can't say anything bad about the good people or you become a bad person. The end.
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Thanks fountainhall, bobsaigon3, PeterUK & Trongpai for your input. Great photos fountainhall and “history lesson” Trongpai, and appreciate all the hotel/travel advice. Still don’t know if I will get to this trip this year or not but appreciate the helpful feedback.