Pattaya begins major electric infrastructure overhaul

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya begins major electric infrastructure overhaul

Post by Gaybutton »

Remember all those promises about how Pattaya's jungle of overhead wiring will be moved underground? Apparently they are finally really going to do it and work has already begun.

I can't find anything that lets us know if, when, how often, or where power outages might occur during the work, and how long they'll last, but don't be surprised if that happens.

Unfortunately, at least in Pattaya power outages due to construction work usually occur suddenly, without prior notice, and it's anybody's guess how long the outages will last before the electricity comes back on. Most of the time it lasts from 45 minutes to 2 hours, but you never know. I've seen it last several hour too.

See: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya ... aul-175702
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Re: Pattaya begins major electric infrastructure overhaul

Post by jimnbkk »

With all the jungle of overhead wiring, I'm surprised at the reliability of electricity that I've experienced when I've been in Pattaya. I think of all the times I've visited recently in the past 5 years, that power has only gone out once in the room where I stay. And it stayed out a bit longer because the repairmen failed to close one disconnect switch on one phase leading to the building. We called and they had a crew out there in minutes that closed the switch and we were back in business. I don't know how they do it. No complaints from me.
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya begins major electric infrastructure overhaul

Post by Gaybutton »

jimnbkk wrote:I'm surprised at the reliability of electricity that I've experienced when I've been in Pattaya.
I agree they do a very good job. I don't get power failures often, but when it happens they usually have the power back on in less than an hour. No complaints from me either.