FYI -- topping up your AIS cell phone account

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dale1

FYI -- topping up your AIS cell phone account

Post by Dale1 »

I use AIS as my cell phone service provider ... I noted this morning that I needed to add money to my balance and that my balance would expire in one week ... as you can no longer top up at 7-11, I went to the AIS shop on the ground floor of Central Festival Shopping Mall ... they have a very handy machine which accepts your money, automatically tops up your balance and adds time to your validity period ... the FYI part of this story is that the machine will add one month to your validity period PER TRANSACTION ... so if you insert a 100 baht note or three 100 baht notes or one 500 baht note you get the correct amount added to your balance, but only one month added to your validity period. So in order to get a longer validity period you have to have multiple transactions ... I wanted to add 200 baht to my balance .... so I gave the machine 20 baht ten times -- 10 separate transactions ... I got 200 baht added to my balance and 10 months added to my validity period. Strange, but true.
richsilver

Re: FYI -- topping up your AIS cell phone account

Post by richsilver »

All well and good, but I believe you have to enter your number for every transaction--not very convenient!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I really don't know why those that live here bother with top off when all they need to do is go to the nearest office of your provider with your passport and a credit card, choose the plan you want and get a monthly bill, pay it as you do like any other bill such as elec., True vision, 3BB interenet, etc.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Living here, I find it simple to top off my AIS account online using my Thai bank account app.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"I really don't know why those that live here bother with top off when..."

I use my phone so little that the cheapest post-pay plan costs more than my average pre-pay usage. So, that's one reason.

"Living here, I find it simple to top off my AIS account online using my Thai bank account app."

Definitely. Eezy peezy.

Also, for those who get aggravated by AIS expiration policies, and think it's a rip to pay 30 baht to extend your balance for a month, there's a simple answer: switch your existing number to TrueMove. If your balance gets near to expiring, just send *934*90# and you'll get three months for ~10 baht.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

For AIS at least, if your credit runs out, they lend you 20 Baht to finish your call and deduct it when you top up.
Bob

Post by Bob »

With a SCB account, one can top up an AIS phone account online with your computer without going anywhere. And can likewise do that with the SCB app on your phone using, of course, your phone. It's been years since I went anywhere to top up the phone balance.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I presume ALL of the phone companies have all of these options for top up.

I've certainly managed to top up True via their machines and on line. Also, on line is not necessarily the most convenient way to top up. If you happen to be wandering past one of their machines, it's probably easier than topping up on line.

Also, not everyone wants to process their money via a bank. I doubt this affects many here, but I suppose the average Thai money boy is quite happy to earn cash & not process all of it through a bank account.
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

weird!! Reading this topic, I realized that I hadn't opened my Thai phone for a while to see what's what. I'm home in the states now. I topped the phone up with my SCB account like I ususally do. Have to open the Thai phone with a wifi network so I can get the One Time Password (OTP) from them to enter on the web page. It worked, and the thing is good until 29/4/18! That's a lot longer than the one month I'm reading on this thread!