Medical Insurance

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Medical Insurance

Post by Gaybutton »

Folks, I have received inquiries about my whereabouts. I am in Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok. I've been here since Tuesday and the doctors tell me I can probably be released Wednesday, May 3.

Without going into a lot of detail, it's pneumonia. I will be fine.

The reason for this post is medical insurance, especially for expats. I posted before that my Medical Insurance is with CIGNA Global. This is the first time I have ever had to use it.

I can't recommend CIGNA highly enough. One of the reasons I chose CIGNA in the first place is because they deal directly with the hospital. You don't have to lay out the money first and then wait for a reimbursement.

It was completely hassle-free. I didn't have to do a thing. All I have to do is pay the deductible, which for me is US $375.

That's it. I don't even have to deal with any paperwork.

While I'm sure some will tell us all about how their insurance is better than this, I'm recommending and sticking with CIGNA.
Daniel

Re: Medical Insurance

Post by Daniel »

Glad to hear you’re OK and are getting the treatment you need without having to worry about the cost. Hope you make a quick and full recovery.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I got a quote from them on your recommendation as I would like to spend some time in Thailand. With a $3000 deductible, it would cost me close to $400 per month. I guess I should have started looking before age 72.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Get well, but why Bumrungrad?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:why Bumrungrad?
Why not?

I could give you the long story, but if you ever really want to hear it, see me in Sunee Plaza and I'll be happy to bore you to death with it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I'm delighted you are recovering well.
Doug wrote:With a $3000 deductible, it would cost me close to $400 per month. I guess I should have started looking before age 72.
You can still spend time in Thailand affordably (insurance-wise), provided each visit is for not more than 90 days. I have a locally provided medical policy in Thailand with reasonably high benefits but not high enough for some of the countries I visit. So I also have an annual travel insurance policy taken out from a London company which provides much higher limits and far smaller deductibles but it cannot be used within Thailand - or whichever home country you live in. The annual premium is around US$475. I know this is available till age 75, Not sure about after that age. As usual, pre-existing conditions would not be covered.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Doug wrote:I got a quote from them on your recommendation as I would like to spend some time in Thailand.
I should mention that in order to be eligible for CIGNA's expat plans, 75% of your time must be spent outside of your home country.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

All you need is a little chicken soup and you'll be just fine. Glad you are recovering and that all is well.
artic55

Post by artic55 »

All the best to you my friend, and get well soon, I'm sure the boys in Pattaya miss you...........This shows the importance of having a decent insurance coverage, here is a good online tool: https://www.pacificprime.com/compare-quotes
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I used Pacific Prime. I recommend them highly. They are very responsive.