Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Pattaya Image Cleansing?

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Image Cleansing?

Post by Gaybutton »

The article was written by Sam Webb. Does anyone know who that is and/or what qualifies him as the latest "expert" on Pattaya's 'sleaze' scene?

I can understand the city's annoyance when these kinds of articles make their appearance. It does portray Pattaya as a sleaze city and there is nothing more to Pattaya at all.

And even if that were true, so what? I wish the city would say "Damned right!" and if they want a nearby family oriented city, start developing Si Racha or Sattahip. What's wrong with having the best of both?

Where did I put that "I Don't Get It" list of mine? I know it's around here someplace . . .
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

If any newspaper (sic) employs experts on sleaze, it is the Murdoch Sun. It has gained notoriety for its rabid, right-wing racism and morally-corrupt nationalism but also for its reliance on "page three " naked models to increase sales among the less thoughtful of the male population. These models were famous for their large breasts which, apparently, went down well with its readership. For this reason, the journal was loathed by feminists and (bluntly) by most decent British people.

Its hatred of non-white people is legendary but it also has been condemned for its attacks on the citizens of Liverpool where the newspaper is treated with contempt.
Of course, if we British are fed-up with the Murdoch gutter-press, there's also the far right Daily Mail (unaffectionately known as the Daily Hate-Mail), the preferred organ of Little-Englander bigots. You need a reading age of twelve to understand it, however, and so The Sun, which requires one of only eight, is marginally more popular.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:For this reason, the journal was loathed by feminists and (bluntly) by most decent British people.
That's the problem. I doubt that the average Thai, even those well educated, have any concept about tabloid "news" and how it is perceived. The only people likely to actually believe any of it, or even care, are people with an intelligence level roughly equivalent to that of a rhinoceros and people unlikely ever to come to Thailand in their lives.

Thai authorities see and hear about this kind of 'reporting' and their first reaction is knee-jerk reaction. I wonder if they ever even think about the idea that the 'sleaze factor' might be the primary reason the majority of farang come to Pattaya in the first place. They're not coming here trying to find Rebecca's Sunnybrook Farm.

The Chinese tourists, I believe, see the sleaze areas as only a curiosity, probably forgotten as soon as they arrive at their next destination. As far as I can tell, the Chinese tourists are willing to go anywhere - as long as they're on a bus and they have a tour guide who carries a small flag for them to follow.

No matter how much of a transformation the powers-that-be try to force into place, I can't imagine that Pattaya will ever be the G-Rated, Disneyland, perfect for the kiddies place they apparently want it to become. And they probably wouldn't even want Pattaya to eventually have that kind of reputation if it wasn't for that type of so-called journalism. The authorities are embarrassed about the wrong things to be embarrassed about. Most of Pattaya has nothing to do with the sleaze areas to begin with.

If anyone is trying to bring in more sleaze, do me a favor and bring it right to my neighborhood, willya?

Pattaya does, for a variety of reasons, have in many other countries a reputation as an anything goes, sleaze city. Again, I say so what? Instead of trying to change the reputation, I think they ought to focus their attention on encouraging it. As I said, there are other nearby cities that could easily developed as family oriented cities. Why does it have to be Pattaya? Why try to change the leopard's spots? Offer both.
puan

Post by puan »

GB, agreed.

To paraphrase Mark Twain...
Sleaze offers relief seldom found in prayer. ;)
a447

Post by a447 »

I always find it disturbing when I see parents wandering down Walking Street with their young children in tow, taking at the scantily clad women.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Let's face it! Sex and sleaze alongside photos of scantily dressed girls sell newspapers - and not much else seems to achieve that nowadays apart from soccer scandals and snooker. There's nothing anyone here can do about it. And given the Sun's pretty awful reputation, it isn't going to let up - until another sex and sleaze story from somewhere else materialises.

Might there be one silver lining? As far as I am aware, the recent sleaze articles have exclusively focussed on the girl gogo bars and prostitution, rather suggesting that they are too much of an attraction for brainless drunken farang youths. If they continue peddling this line, maybe the gay bars will be left alone. Wishful thinking?
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Is Pattaya's sex trade reported in China? are the Chinese tourists who arrive for the first time aware of what's available? and do they care?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Oliver wrote:Is Pattaya's sex trade reported in China? are the Chinese tourists who arrive for the first time aware of what's available? and do they care?
Hmm? Good question Oliver. I suspect they know if only from Chinese tourists that have preceded them but why do they come to Pattaya....nothing historical....beautiful beaches :roll: .....go figure!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote:I always find it disturbing when I see parents wandering down Walking Street with their young children in tow, taking at the scantily clad women.
I never do. I'm glad to see people who come from countries that don't share the same kinds of "hangups" many of us have. While I don't think children should be taught be taught that promiscuity is good, I also don't think they should be taught that sex is something to be perceived as embarrassing, shocking, and bad.