Rama IV set for massive redevelopment

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Rama IV set for massive redevelopment

Post by Jun »

Up2u wrote:1. Is impractical, Rama 4, is a major traffic artery, the only major street south of Sukumvit that runs parallel.
It's perfectly practical. If they close Rama 4, it immediately ceases to become a traffic artery. People will be forced onto the public transport systems & air quality will improve. Better still, charge cars for entering parts of Bangkok, same as in Singapore or London.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jun wrote:
Up2u wrote:Better still, charge cars for entering parts of Bangkok, same as in Singapore or London.
If only it were that simple. It isn't! The Singapore congestion charge is only tiny part of the reason why Singapore's traffic flows far better than in most cities. The main reason is the government makes the cost of owning a car so astronomical there are relatively far fewer cars than in similar cities.

To discourage driving, the number of cars available for purchase is limited by the government. Before you can buy a car, you need a certificate of entitlement (COE). These are then put up for auction each year. So the cost depends on demand. As a result, 2 years ago a Toyota Corolla purchased in the USA would have cost you around US$23,000. The same model in Thailand cost around $33,000. In Singapore it would have set you back $136,000! That's how to limit car use!

https://www.quora.com/How-expensive-are ... ion-system
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Jun wrote:
Up2u wrote:1. Is impractical, Rama 4, is a major traffic artery, the only major street south of Sukumvit that runs parallel.
It's perfectly practical. If they close Rama 4, it immediately ceases to become a traffic artery. People will be forced onto the public transport systems & air quality will improve. Better still, charge cars for entering parts of Bangkok, same as in Singapore or London.
We can't be talking about the same Rama 4. The Rama 4 I know is an 8-10 traffic artery used by everyone, pedestrians, motor bikes, taxis, delivery trucks, public busses, etc. Closing it to motorized vehicles would be a disaster and would certainly make GBs "I don't get it list" along with mine. How would I get to the Pinnacle, Malaysia, the embassies on Wireless, Sathorn, Silom, just to name a few. I am an advocate of expanded transit systems, bicycles, walking, dedicated bus lanes, and motorized vehicles. Closing Rama 4 to motorized vehicles is just dumb.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Also, after 9:00pm it becomes a major artery for loads of commercial vehicles crossing over Saphan Taksin, coming up Sathorn and then turning right along Rama 4. I guess a new motorway could solve that problem - but who'll pay for it?