Who comes up with this nonsense?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Who comes up with this nonsense?

Post by Undaunted »

firecat69 wrote:Anyone who roots for the government's success in this endeavor, will next find they will eliminate all GoGo Bars and Massage Parlors. Then there will be no reason to visit or live in BKK.
This certainly will happen eventually.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:A government reversal?......
Don't you just love totally conflicting news reports? That's certainly nothing unusual around here.

I suppose, as usual, we'll just have to wait and see what, if anything, actually happens.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Did whoever dreamed up this nonsense ever give it a thought that the baht buses (pick up trucks) would all have to be eliminated?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

LKAsians wrote:I saw several major accidents
I'm sure most of us have seen major accidents, perhaps even been involved in some. Many of us have individual eyewitness stories to tell.

To me, targeting pickup truck riders is the wrong approach. If the goal is to prevent road deaths, then start with the vehicles involved in the majority of deaths - motorbikes. Get rid of the motorbikes.

If they try to do that, then the highest death toll will no longer result from motorbikes. There might be a dramatic increase in the death toll involving the people responsible for banning them, though.

To me, trying to justify banning riders from the backs of pickup trucks is an absurd idea. While certainly horrific accidents do occur, compared to the numbers of pickup trucks with people riding in the back, the annual death toll is infinitesimal compared to the annual numbers of motorbike deaths.

in my opinion, banning pickup truck riders on the grounds that sometimes deadly accidents occur, that makes about as much sense as banning airplanes on the grounds that sometimes deadly accidents occur.

If people drive motor vehicles, deadly accidents are inevitable whether it's pickup trucks, cars, motorbikes, vans, buses, or what-have-you. All anyone really can do is drive carefully and hope it won't happen to you.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

After reading an article in a German newspaper, I agree with what they say:

the government publishes such asinine plans to test the public's reaction. There will be an outrage, the plan is scrapped. When everything has calmed down, they publish a similar asinine plan on a different subject. Outrage, scrapped. With every cycle, the outrage becomes less, because people think it's another false alarm. Then finally, when nobody pays attention, it becomes law or is performed.

Alternatively, it could be just a decoy. Something of greater importance, but less easy to understand by public, becomes law while everyone is focussed on the the ban of street food.

(In Europe we are currently dealing with limiting cash payments, and some politicians call for a ban of cash! The pretext is to fight terrorism, arms and dealing, human trafficking - who will all simply switch to paying in gold.)