American Express Traveler's Checks

Anything and everything about Thailand
stkyricesf

American Express Traveler's Checks

Post by stkyricesf »

Normally when I come to Pattaya I bring both traveler's checks and cards. However, here in the US many of the banks are no longer selling traveler's checks.. Does anyone know if it is getting hard to cash American Express traveler's checks in Pattaya? I'm thinking if it is, I won't put too much effort into finding traveler's checks for this trip. Thanks
Gaybutton

Re: American Express Traveler's Checks

Post by Gaybutton »

You will have no problem at all cashing travelers checks in Pattaya. Whether you cash them at a bank or an exchange booth, you will need to bring your passport with you - not a photocopy - the actual passport.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

stkyricesf wrote:Does anyone know if it is getting hard to cash American Express traveler's checks in Pattaya?
Not sure why....maybe our first April 1 joke. If serious, buy large denominations and remember there is a 153 baht fee to cash one check.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Up2u wrote:
stkyricesf wrote:Does anyone know if it is getting hard to cash American Express traveler's checks in Pattaya?
Not sure why....
Travellers Cheques are pretty much only an US thing these days and getting more obsolete day by day, so sticktricesf is right to be concerned

e.g. No bank in Ireland Issues or will cash a travellers cheque
https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g1 ... eland.html

(and yes I know that he's going to Thailand and not Ireland! But modern banking has replaced the Travellers cheque with the disposable Debit Card and the US/Thai banks will eventually catch up)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

colmx wrote:Travellers Cheques are pretty much only an US thing these days and getting more obsolete day by day
Be that as it may, you can not only cash travelers checks in Pattaya, but you can also buy American Express travelers checks.

As far as I know only one bank sells them - Bangkok Bank - and in Pattaya only one branch sells them. That branch is the one on Naklua Road in north Pattaya.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

"I can't win for nuthin'. Karl Malden stole my travelers checks."
- Rodney Dangerfield
stkyricesf

Post by stkyricesf »

Thanks everyone! Pattaya here I come in 2 weeks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

stkyricesf wrote:Pattaya here I come in 2 weeks.
Great. I hope you have a fabulous time. I also hope you realize you're coming right when Songkran gets started.

Plenty of boys for you to spend the money on when you start cashing those travelers checks . . .
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

colmx wrote:getting more obsolete day by day
It's just an obsolete idea. I bought them my first trip to Thailand last century, never used them. A friend couldn't cash his because he couldn't duplicate his signature to the satisfaction of the bank here in Thailand. I do bring a few nice crisp Benjamin Franklin's just for an emergency, that I keep in a safe. I can proudly say I have never been inside an American bank except to close my accounts. Using Schwab, Etrade, etc just makes life so much cheaper and easier.

http://www.frommers.com/tips/money-and- ... ers-checks
artic55

Post by artic55 »

Well last time I worked in the US they still used personal hand written checks to pay their bills over there, but that was back in 2012, wonder if they still do??? As modern as the US can can be in many aspects, they are sooooooooo backwards in others!