Richard Burk has died at 70

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Richard Burk has died at 70

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:I am sure being his close friends they are presently in the process of sorting out his affairs and organizing his funeral.
Probably not that close. If a funeral is organized in Pattaya I would attend, but I, for one, would not get personally involved in organizing and paying for it.

In any case, no details yet. Whatever happens is currently in the hands of the British embassy.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I ran into Barry K. today he was the former British consul in Pattaya he told me Richard in fact did die at the condo where he stayed and the body now is in BKK, no one as of yet has claimed it, all inquires should be made through the British embassy.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Richard in fact did die at the condo where he stayed
Did he say anything about how the body was discovered and/or how long Richard probably had died before the body was discovered?

I'm curious as to whether an autopsy was conducted to confirm it indeed was a heart attack.
JohnBKK

Post by JohnBKK »

Please could someone let me have a current email address for Barry Kenyon? Thanks.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:Did he say anything about . . .
G.B. I only asked him if Richard died at home. The other info I mentioned he gave to me without me requesting it.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:I only asked him if Richard died at home.
I see. Considering Barry's former position, he is quite likely to know people at the embassy and is much more likely to be able to obtain information than just anybody making inquiries.

Other than for curiosity's sake, the only truly important information now will be whether there will be a funeral or memorial service. I would imagine if any arrangements will be made, they are more likely to come from some of his former employees or perhaps the school, rather than farang friends.
DavidJarrett

Post by DavidJarrett »

A few days ago I posted photos of Richard and his condo, taken starting in 2008, on his Facebook Page, which are available to view for any of his Facebook "friends." If you are not his "friend" on Facebook, you will no longer be able to become his "friend," as he is dead and must confirm the "friend" request. Traveler Jim and I have been in touch via email, and since he is a "friend," he was able to see all of the photos.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Undaunted wrote:Richard Burk had obviously made some very close friends as a couple of posts on this thread attest to, I am sure being his close friends they are presently in the process of sorting out his affairs and organizing his funeral.

I wish that were true...hopefully it is...
But I am not sure Richard had made such prior plans.
Richard had not mentioned a Thai Will or Executor to me in many chats we had about his need to get a job teaching.

I do know he sold his condo early in 2016. It had been purchased many years ago using a Thai Company.
Approx 1.5 to 1.8 Million Thai baht sales price...I think. The sale was a blessing as he was needing the funds for retirement.

I am aware of his Thai attorney which handled the condo purchase and sale via the Thai company....
As I am in the USA on business and with family & friends...I am not in Pattaya to assist.
However...
My Thai bf in coming days is seeking to make contact with the Thai attorney to advise him of Richard's passing...if he is not already aware...
and to ascertain IF the attorney had assisted Richard with a Thai Will.

Richard placed the proceeds in a Thai bank to make sure he could meet the 800,000 THB deposit requirements for his annual visa.
He leased back the condo and just entered the second year of the lease in January 2017.

Without a Will the funds remaining in the Thai bank will eventually go to the Thai government in 10 years I believe.
I know of NO relatives of his.
Such a tragedy if that happens...

Tj
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

travelerjim wrote:The sale was a blessing as he was needing the funds for retirement.
As far as I know Richard did not have a will. Even if he was able to sell his condo for the full 1.8 million baht, if he had to put 800,000 of it into a bank so he could get a retirement visa (he certainly would not have been able to prove the minimum monthly income requirement for a proof-of-income statement), that would have left him with approximately 1 million baht.

That works out to about US $28,500. If he was depending on that for retirement, he might have been able to stretch that out for 2 or 3 years. Then what?

That's why he needed to continue working. Some of us were concerned about what he would do if he reached a point at which he physically no longer could continue working - obviously a moot issue now.

While some found Richard's "bedside manner" at the restaurant annoying, I think few would deny he was a hell of a nice guy, loved to joke and kid around, and always had plenty of Pattaya gossip to share. It's so sad his last few years had to be so stressful and miserable for him.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Following this thread, and getting to know a man I'd never met, caused me to consider the predicament many readers now confront or aware that they will as they age. Increasing isolation, medical maladies, declining income and--if you live in many parts of the globe--discrimination in all its various forms are among the more pervasive issues.

I spent a few hours, scanning the web for articles that spoke to these concerns. There were too many to take in but they many seem to have a common denominator: growing old, and gay, frequently has a bleak outlook.

Of the expats I've met, some came here to work but most came to for the chance to live a life of greater acceptance and opportunity to express their sexuality. They generally did so with a sound understanding of the pros and cons, but time has its own way of coloring those factors. Richard, by all that I read, was a friend to many and well-remembered by the Pattaya community. He struggled, perhaps more than others, but managed to make a meaningful life. But to learn how alone he was in the end, with no familial ties or, it seems, significant other, I keep coming back to what I think is our greatest fear: being progressively more isolated as our days dwindle.

I know that his forum helps keep guys in this situation involved to some degree, enabling even the less mobile to feel connected. But it can't substitute for the need for face-to-face experiences. I know some here have BF's who look after them but, from what I gather, most do not. They accept their fate as they confront their mortality. I don't sense that they regret life's choices, or necessarily believe they would have fared better at home. It simply seems to come with the territory.

One article from the NY Times, written by a gay doctor, gives voice to the medial implications of the graying gay community:

Excerpts from NY Times article

My patient was gay, and as a gay geriatrician I had felt a connection with him unlike any I’d had with my other patients. We never directly discussed his sexuality; initially, I only knew that he was a lifelong bachelor and a retired history professor who had taught for many years at Emory University in Atlanta.

In time, as he let his guard down, I learned that what he considered his life’s work and true love was the restoration of the historic farmhouse he owned in rural Georgia, where he had an enormous garden that was his pride and joy. Eventually, this World War II veteran told me about his postwar years as a graduate student in Chicago, where he formed close relationships with a few other men.

He never had a long-term relationship, though, and lived alone for years. In the few months that he lived at our facility, the only family member I talked with was a niece who lived out of state.

What bothered me most was that this kind, erudite and generous man had died alone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/healt ... cases.html