Richard Burk has died at 70

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Richard Burk has died at 70

Post by Gaybutton »

I have tried everything I can think of to do, but I have not been able to come up with anything further about Richard. As far as I know there has been no funeral or announcements of any kind. I have no idea as to what has become of, or will become of, his remains.

A very sad end for this kind man who had been through so much.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Gaybutton wrote:A very sad end for this kind man who had been through so much.
Very sad indeed.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Sad indeed, but we can take some comfort from the fact that Richard is forever unaware of it.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

It has been said, “No one is truly gone as long as they are remembered.”
If that is true, Richard has many years left.
Maple

Post by Maple »

The British expat community in Pattaya mourns the loss of Richard Burk , a well-known British long-time resident who died late Sunday evening of a heart attack.

The information about his death was first published in a thread on the Gaybutton Thai online forum. According to the thread poster, who is also one of the forum administrators, the British Embassy has confirmed Mr Burk’s death. The former British consul in Pattaya, Barry Kenyon, told forum user Undaunted that the victim, aged 70, died in his condominium.

Mr Burk, who held dual citizenship in the UK and Canada, became a well-known personality in Pattaya after he opened the restaurant called Amor in 1994. The restaurant was located in Boyztown, a gay red-light district in Soi Pattaya 13/4. When Amor was closed in 2007 due to bankruptcy, Mr Burk used the same location to start a new venue called Street Life. However, his new restaurant did not last as long as Amor. Street Life was shut down in 2012.

In the years following bankruptcy, Mr Burk found a position as an English and science teacher at Mueang Pattaya 8 School near Wat Chai Monkrong temple. In teaching, Mr Burk “found work that he truly enjoyed, paid him a decent living wage, and he was able to live a normal life again,” wrote another forum administrator, Gaybutton.

Barry Kenyon, the former British consul in Pattaya, told Undaunted that Mr Burk’s body had been sent to Bangkok for an autopsy and until now, no-one has come forward to claim the body.

Officers at Pattaya City Police Station have been assigned to investigate the circumstances surrounding Mr Burk’s death.

Share this:https://www.farang-deaths.com/case/rich ... lipe-burk/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: I was also advised of a web site called Farang Deaths, a site I had never heard of. Information about Richard's death is posted on that site. Apparently most of their information was obtained via this board and was so cited. See: http://www.farang-deaths.com/case/richard-philipe-burk/

At this point I have no additional information.

Is anything new here?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Is anything new here?
Nothing I know of.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have received information that indeed there was a funeral and cremation for Richard about 2 weeks ago at Pattaya's Wat Chai.

The reason, so I'm told, that none of us knew about it is because Richard was a member of the French speaking Rotary Club. The Rotary Club claimed Richard's body and chose to hold a private funeral for him.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Vive La France!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Vive La France!
Make that "Vive la Canada." Richard's Rotary Club days began when he was working in Quebec.

I don't know why they kept it private and made no announcement. I, and I think many more, would have liked to attend. Nevertheless, that's what they did.

I'm glad Richard had the dignity of a funeral, rather than ending up a cadaver or something, but if I knew I would have been there.