Foodland Coming to Royal Garden

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Foodland Coming to Royal Garden

Post by Gaybutton »

mahjongguy wrote:A Foodland at Royal Garden doesn't make much sense to me, especially with Villa just down the street.
Since when is making sense a factor in Pattaya? If you do all your shopping at Friendship, all you have to do is look across the street to see one dental clinic after another. How about the areas where it's one barber shop after another?

Lvdkeyes said he was told the Foodland on Thepprasit won't be built until the one at the new Terminal 21 is completed. I can't make much sense out of that either. Why not get both of them built? Why are they waiting? And there is a well stocked Best grocery store, a Big-C, and a Makro just down the street from Terminal 21 too.

And all the convenience stores - Family Mart, 7-Eleven, Mini Big-C, etc. There are so many you could almost stand outside of one, pee, and hit the next one. Yet they all always seem to be busy with customers.

None of it makes sense to me, but there it is . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I live near Friendship and have never been impressed with their selection and Villa seems to be always plagued with empty shelves, I agree with Dodger Big C extra for me is best for its real french bakery and its meat dept.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Big C extra for me is best for its real french bakery and it's meat dept.
The same for me. And their prices are quite reasonable compared to other grocery stores. Their French bread is the best I've ever found in Thailand. If I want French bread, I always go to Big-C Extra. Their meats, in my opinion, are also the best I've ever found in Thailand, and at prices usually significantly lower than most other grocery stores.

For me, if it's French Bakery items or meats I'm looking for, it's Big-C Extra.

For fish, shellfish, pork, chicken, produce, and most other items, I go to Makro.

The Tops that opened near me on "The Dark Side" has an unimpressive meat department, but has a very good selection of most other items that interest me.

Foodland often has items I can't find elsewhere. And it's the only major grocery store open 24 hours a day, every day including most holidays.

I do like both Friendship and Villa Market, but they're not convenient to me, so I'll usually stop in if I happen to be in the area.

For items that can't be found in those grocery stores, Best - at the Dolphin Roundabout - often has what I'm looking for.

Of course, there are some items that are readily available, but not in grocery stores at all. If I want hot dogs, I buy from Beertopia. If I want corned beef, pastrami, and other cold cuts, I order from Scott at MJ Smokehouse.

By the way, just last week Scott told me they now will allow people to come out to MJ Smokehouse to buy directly if they so choose, although unless you live on "The Dark Side" you'll probably stick with Scott delivering. He also said they will soon be opening a small restaurant at their location, primarily for locals. He also said that since Pastrami on Rye has closed he might be talking to Beertopia about serving sandwiches made from his cold cuts. That would be great if they do work out something.

See:
http://www.facebook.com/mjsmokehouse
-and-
http://www.mjsmokehouse.com
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:For items that can't be found in those grocery stores, Best - at the Dolphin Roundabout - often has what I'm looking for.
I haven't been there for years....will go tomorrow in search of real egg noodles (not pasta) & the illusive muscavado sugar.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:will go tomorrow in search of real egg noodles
If all else fails . . .