Easiest and simplest practice

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Easiest and simplest practice

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:For instance, if I were to post a topic right now entitled "Thai Boys Love to be Rimmed"
You did and I deleted the topic. That is totally inappropriate for this board. If you want to conduct that kind of experiment, you'll have to do it on somebody else's board.

It also has nothing to do with this topic.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

OK...I think I will.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

thaiworthy wrote:
readerc54 wrote:You're trying to make the argument akin to: I've never had a fire in my house therefor I will never have one. You can't prove a future negative.

I don't doubt that you have a very good handle on what's happening in the bars in Pattaya but none of us is clairvoyant.
I don't think he's saying that at all. It used to be the case that underage existed. So there were fires. Chances are, not clairvoyance, that there are fewer fires today, if any, compared to yesterday. How is this a prediction of future events? It is minimizing risk, not a prediction. You limit that by asking for ID, not all the time, just when necessary. It seems to me you are over-thinking this.
In post #14, GB states: "I can only repeat - it does not happen anymore."

That's simply an opinion I can't agree with. If he'd said it's highly unlikely, I'd agree. Otherwise, I'm sticking with best practice of trusting my instincts. If I think a guy is too young, regardless of his ID, I'm going to take a pass, Too much is at stake.

If you wish to think of it as over thinking, I'm fine with that because I believe that it's a situation that begs for over thinking.
thaiworthy wrote:
readerc54 wrote:As I look back at the most recent threads on the Thailand forum, it's clear what generates the most interest among members . . . - BKK walking maps . . .
I would love to imagine that gay Pattayans will be organizing a pilgrimage up here to Bangkok to walk the walk. But I don't think that's going to happen. Not sure how this topic would be what generates the most interest among members. Where's the (Burger, BBQ) Restaurant Reviews in this list? Now that, generates interest!
If you read my post as written you'll see that I referenced a specific time frame:
"As I look back at the most recent threads on the Thailand forum, it's clear what generates the most interest among members."

And then I cited those recent topics in order. I agree that Bangkok Walking Maps was a poor example in terms of total views. All for the other topics I cited had drawn 300 or more views. But I can see a pilgrimage of Pattaya ex-pats headed to BKK to check out a sex show featuring hot new comers. But for good barbecued ribs, not likely.

As for the top three posts (Winner boys bar, Sunee nostalgia and Pedophile busted) all contained the the trigger words I listed in my These words buy clicks here topic I started on Mar. 11.

Yes, restaurant reviews fare well here but will always play second fiddle to sex-related topics and trip and massage reports (and those get read primarily for the promise of sex). Stuff you can't get on Trip Advisor.

I ended my last post with the hope that we'd witness greater member participation. As in the case of all three boards, it's usually about 10% of members who provide 90% of the posts. With a board with such a small membership (206 at the moment) that means there's roughly 21 members doing most of the talking. Just hoping that this and other discussions encourage those on the sidelines to jump in more often. (Geezer, it was great to see your name again!).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

readerc54 wrote:In post #14, GB states: "I can only repeat - it does not happen anymore."

That's simply an opinion I can't agree with.
I really don't want to continue my involvement in a debate about it and continually repeating myself, but what I stated is not an opinion. It is a fact.

I agree with erring on the side of caution, but there is a point at which it becomes overkill. The best I can advise you or anyone else who believes a bar boy of interest might actually be under-age, then find a different boy of interest.

During your next trip to Thailand, you don't have to name the bar(s), but I would be very interested to know if you find yourself in a bar where you think any of the boys might be under age and why you think so.

Personally, I think you're misplacing your level of caution. If you want to be that cautious, you have much more reason to be cautious about some of the boys on the hookup sites than boys working in the bars.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Hey, I was ready to put this to bed yesterday but I had to reply to Thaiworthy's comments.

As for me misplacing my level of caution, here's what I wrote in post #4 in this thread:

"Agree that the apps are where you're most likely to encounter problems and your (GB's) caution is definitely warranted."

Rhetoric aside, I think we're probably not that far apart in our take on this. We both advocate checking ID's and agree that it's the apps where you need to exercise greater caution. I'm content to leave that way. But you have to admit, this topic has been good for the activity level, drawing well over 500 views now. It's a topic--like the others I mentioned--that get the most attention from board visitors here or elsewhere.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

readerc54 wrote:you have to admit, this topic has been good for the activity level, drawing well over 500 views now.
If that interested me, yes. But it doesn't. That has never been a concern for me. I have no interest in those kinds of numbers. To me, that's meaningless. The easiest thing in the world would be to contrive topics and posts with the intent being high view and participation levels.

My only interest is trying to do my best to see that this board provides accurate information - information readers, whether they're board members or not, can rely upon. When I or other posters get it wrong, I do my best to correct mistakes and get them corrected as quickly as possible.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Well, it's instructive to know your feelings on member participation.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I think you guys have drifted off topic.

Could you please refrain from this as it violates Board Policy.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

readerc54 wrote:There's been a lot posted about this but it all boils down to nothing more complicated than the following:

If you're even the tiniest bit undecided about a person's age, or you simply suspect that someone's ID might not be legit, it's always wise to fall back on your first hunch.

If it crossed your mind that he looks too young, disregard any and all information to the contrary and go with your instincts.

It's not a foolproof method but it's as close as you'll come. Forget the old Thais look so much younger than they really are. Although that may sometimes be the case, there's always another reason they look so young: they are.
This is the post that started the ball rolling. What I have is a problem with the advice given about trusting your instincts or first hunch. Not everybody has the ability to do that. I may be a terrible judge of age with one boy and spot on with another. You can learn a lot by talking to the guy first. It's not only the first hunch, you know. At least not for me. Additionally, I can see how someone else might be so overwhelmed that he thinks with his dick and not his brain. My first hunch is not preoccupied with age, but with imagination about what I might be able to do in bed with said boy. Imagination fills the gap between reality and suspicion. We are only human. Gut instinct is a human trait. I don't think this should be advice for people to take literally. Maybe instincts are crap. Experience has proven I can convince myself of anything sometimes. And I suspect, for some others as well. Checking IDs and especially Geezers' method is wise advice. It is not a foolproof method for just anyone, except you.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Thaiworthy wrote:

"My first hunch is not preoccupied with age, but with imagination about what I might be able to do in bed with said boy. Imagination fills the gap between reality and suspicion. We are only human. Gut instinct is a human trait. I don't think this should be advice for people to take literally. Maybe instincts are crap. Experience has proven I can convince myself of anything sometimes. And I suspect, for some others as well. Checking IDs and especially Geezers' method is wise advice. It is not a foolproof method for just anyone, except you."

Well it seems that you've just demonstrated that you didn't read what you just posted, so allow me to substitute your imagination with fact. Here's what I said:

If you're even the tiniest bit undecided about a person's age, or you simply suspect that someone's ID might not be legit, it's always wise to fall back on your first hunch. If it crossed your mind that he looks too young, disregard any and all information to the contrary and go with your instincts....
Forget the old Thais look so much younger than they really are. Although that may sometimes be the case, there's always another reason they look so young: they are.

It's clear that I was recommending caution because ID's can easily be fake.

This is a direct quote of your own words that you posted: "My first hunch is not preoccupied with age, but with imagination about what I might be able to do in bed with said boy." There is help for that and I sincerely hope you're able to find it.