Bangkok Bank Raises ATM Fees

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Bangkok Bank Raises ATM Fees

Post by Jun »

Even 150 baht is bloody extortion.
It's way cheaper to bring a wad of cash & search out the most competitive forex booths.

Even if you then pay most of it into a Thai bank account.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Jun wrote:Even 150 baht is bloody extortion.
It's way cheaper to bring a wad of cash & search out the most competitive forex booths.

I never use the exchange booths. Even Superich on Rajdamri Road can't come close to the rates I get though an ATM machine with my US bank and MasterCard. I have two ATM cards with the same bank, one with the MC logo and the other without. Each has a $1000 limit per day. I don't have to go out of my way, either. The lobby at the place where I live has an ATM machine. I don't have carry the extra cash around. Whenever I see an exchange booth, the only people I see using them are tourists. Then your money is held under intense scrutiny. I had a bill with a purple smudge on it and they refused to exchange it. The exchange booths require your passport as well. As I said, use a bank card that rebates your fees.

Here is a link that lists the best banks that refund fees.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-best ... 1642528621
Undaunted wrote:Though exchange rates for atms vary...Bangkok bank has decent rates.....and to make the fee palatable you are best to take the 25000 max when using their atm.
Good information. Thanks. I did not know the limit was 25,000. I thought it was 20K. I will try this next time.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

thaiworthy wrote:
Jun wrote:Even 150 baht is bloody extortion.

I never use the exchange booths. Even Superich on Rajdamri Road can't come close to the rates I get though an ATM machine with my US bank and MasterCard. I have two ATM cards with the same bank, one with the MC logo and the other without. Each has a $1000 limit per day. I don't have to go out of my way, either. The lobby at the place where I live has an ATM machine. I don't have carry the extra cash around. Whenever I see an exchange booth, the only people I see using them are tourists. Then your money is held under intense scrutiny. I had a bill with a purple smudge on it and they refused to exchange it. The exchange booths require your passport as well. As I said, use a bank card that rebates your fees.

Here is a link that lists the best banks that refund fees.

http://twocents.lifehacker.com/the-best ... 1642528621
Undaunted wrote:Though exchange rates for atms vary...Bangkok bank has decent rates.....and to make the fee palatable you are best to take the 25000 max when using their atm.
Good information. Thanks. I did not know the limit was 25,000. I thought it was 20K. I will try this next time.
We should remember not all posters have the options as us Americans. The Brits and Europeans apparently really get screwed when using an ATM. Americans also get screwed when using ATM cards issued by most big banks. Another option for Americans is sending money to your Thai bank via Bangkok Bank New York office, then use your Thai ATM card to withdraw funds. In Pattaya, several ATM's allow 30k pulls (at one time it was 40k). I am like you, I would never bring cash except a small amount that I would not feel uncomfortable if lost/stolen.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Good points. I didn't think of that. Maybe I have been spoiled.

Here is a link to a list of the worst UK banks to withdraw money from:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... broad.html
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Undaunted wrote: If you are using a foreign debit card then your rate is either the VISA rate or MASTERCARD rate no matter what bank's ATM you use.
Is that true even when the ATM offers you the choice of ' credit card rate of exchange' or not?
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

Up2u wrote:In Pattaya, several ATM's allow 30k pulls
I'd like to know which bank's machine can do that. It would be useful.

Every brand of machine (Diebold, etc.) that I've seen here is physically limited to 20 notes. If I need to get 50,000 baht then I have to make three pulls.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I live in Jomtien, the TMB ATM by View Talay 2 and the Krungsri ATM by View Talay 7 both give 30,000 in one pull. The CIMB by View Talay sales office also had a 30,000 but they are closed. If I were in Pattaya I would first check out a Krungsri or CIMB ATM.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Bangkokian wrote:
Undaunted wrote: If you are using a foreign debit card then your rate is either the VISA rate or MASTERCARD rate no matter what bank's ATM you use.
Is that true even when the ATM offers you the choice of ' credit card rate of exchange' or not?
No. Avoid any prompts or offers for your convenience to post the transaction in your home currency. This is an attempt by the bank to bypass the VISA or Mastercard exchange rate and is called Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC).
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I used the Aeon atm at Big C extra today the fee is indeed 150bht.....the max. withdrawl is 20,000bht......
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
bbillybb

Post by bbillybb »

Why not simply open an acct with some bank and go inside and make your withdrawal at the station...person to person as in USA. Or do they not have bank tellers? $8 per withdrawal is way off base...