Bangkok Bank Raises ATM Fees

Anything and everything about Thailand
thaiworthy

Bangkok Bank Raises ATM Fees

Post by thaiworthy »

Just used a US bank debit card at a Bangkok Bank ATM machine. Previously, the charge was 200 baht. Today, it charged me 220 baht. Fortunately, the US banks I use are Schwab bank and State Farm bank, so these fees are rebated. The last rate hike, if I recall correctly, was from 150 baht to 200 baht.
lvdkeyes

Re: Bangkok Bank Raises ATM Fees

Post by lvdkeyes »

I have been charged 220 baht for several weeks now.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

thaiworthy wrote:The last rate hike, if I recall correctly, was from 150 baht to 200 baht.
Actually there was an intermediate fee of 180 baht before 200 was reached. The 150B fee lasted for quite a long time, but since it's demise the upwards track has been relentless. 250B is on the way, and after that . . .
Aeon is still at 150B.

As an aside: why does your American bank rebate you for a fee collected by a Thailand bank? Why would they care?
I don't doubt it ~ you would know ~ but I don't get it. (Maybe you have an 'Old Geezer Clause' in your bank's rules ... like I get 10% off Tim Hortons coffee&donuts for being over 65?)
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Smiles wrote:As an aside: why does your American bank rebate you for a fee collected by a Thailand bank? Why would they care?
I don't doubt it ~ you would know ~ but I don't get it. (Maybe you have an 'Old Geezer Clause' in your bank's rules ... like I get 10% off Tim Hortons coffee&donuts for being over 65?)
You need to have direct deposit every month for the unlimited waiver, otherwise they only rebate $10 a month. They don't actually have physical bank branches, it is tied into the State Farm Insurance site, so I'm not sure how that applies to rebates for ATM fees. I don't know why they do it except to attract customers they wouldn't have otherwise without the expense of a physical branch like Bank of America or Wells Fargo. (So it's either the overhead, or things completely over-my-head.) And the latter banks also offer full services not available to typical State Farm bank customers.

"State Farm Bank will not charge customers for the use of ATMs not owned by the Bank (called "foreign ATMs") and will rebate foreign ATM fees charged by the ATM owner according to the following guidelines . . ."

It is not limited to Thailand banks, but any amount from "foreign ATMs." Although "foreign" is not necessarily a foreign country, it seems. (I suspect Schwab bank works the same way.) Here is a link.

https://www.statefarm.com/finances/bank ... access/atm
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Though exchange rates for atms vary...Bangkok bank has decent rates.....and to make the fee palatable you are best to take the 25000 max when using their atm.

If you have a Thai b/f living with U...better keep it 2 yourself.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Free withdrawal at AEON is over (ceased about 2014 ?), free withdrawal at Citibank is over (ceased 2016 ?), but a friend reports he can withdraw for free at China Bank (?).

To make matters complicated, it might not just depend on the ATM, but on your bank as well. When I was withdrawing for free at Citibank in 2015, two friends reported a fee was shown or their card rejected.

After a thorough analysis, I decided on bringing cash (Euro, and exchange in Thailand), even for 6 month stays.
Rin

Post by Rin »

Undaunted wrote:Though exchange rates for atms vary...Bangkok bank has decent rates.....and to make the fee palatable you are best to take the 25000 max when using their atm.

If you are using a foreign debit card then your rate is either the VISA rate or MASTERCARD rate no matter what bank's ATM you use.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Rin wrote:
Undaunted wrote:Though exchange rates for atms vary...Bangkok bank has decent rates.....and to make the fee palatable you are best to take the 25000 max when using their atm.

If you are using a foreign debit card then your rate is either the VISA rate or MASTERCARD rate no matter what bank's ATM you use.
And like Thaiworthy, my Schwab VISA ATM card reimburses me monthly for any ATM charge foreign or domestic.
pong

Post by pong »

Untill recent it was 180 OR 200-and that depended on the brand of CARD used-which for most thus means the issuing bank. For many Europeans this may be different from USAers, who generally tend to think the whole world has the same rules-which it does not.
I guess/somehow recall that the hike is now 20 bt and this means it still depends on type of card (generally Master or VISA), and is now 200 or 220. But not sure about that.
Would be good (even if I myself hardly ever use it) if someone could vonfirm that AEON still charges 150. AEON is tied to a Japanese storechain, at least in BKK they now open many 7-type small shops, labelled TanJai-there is f.e. 1 hidden in a parking/access between Silom toward Suriwong near to Chong Nonsri-short walk beyond Golden Cock/NatureBoy-toward that small guesthse or Silom Plaza (Arena and thebEST massage).
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

pong wrote:" ... Would be good (even if I myself hardly ever use it) if someone could vonfirm that AEON still charges 150.
150 baht on foreign exchange withdrawn through an Aeon ATM. I posted that in this thread awhile ago, and I used it last Monday here in Hua Hin: 150 baht.
How much bloody "vonfirming" do you need?
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )