Farang robbed, beaten by van driver

Anything and everything about Thailand
readerc54

Farang robbed, beaten by van driver

Post by readerc54 »

From Pattaya One

Police said they are looking for a van driver accused of assaulting and robbing a foreign passenger Tuesday in Chonburi province.

Irish national Ciaran Duffy said he was the last passenger in a van going from Pattaya to Bangkok earlier today when the driver – who remains unidentified – demanded he pay an exorbitant fare of 2,000 baht, police 1st Lt. Panisa Kuncharin said. Duffy refused.

“The driver wanted 2,000 baht, so he yelled at him, like, telling him, ‘Fuck you!’” Panisa, an officer at Chonburi City Police Station, told reporters. “So the driver shoved him out of the vehicle and took away 2,500 baht.”

Duffy, a 25-year-old teacher at a school in the Minburi district, suffered minor injuries when he fell. A Pattaya-Bangkok van ride usually costs less than 200 baht.

Interprovincial vans are known for their frequent accidents and sometimes erratic drivers.

http://pattayaone.news/en/irish-teacher ... ed-robbed/
windwalker

Re: Farang robbed, beaten by van driver

Post by windwalker »

CHONBURI — Police on Wednesday said an Irish teacher has admitted to making up a story about being assaulted and robbed by a Pattaya van driver, saying he couldn’t find his money and blamed the driver.

Ciaran Duffy, an English teacher at a Bangkok school, admitted to falsely telling police the driver had demanded 2,000 baht for a fare from Pattaya to Bangkok and attacked him when he refused. The Irishman said today that he was drunk at the time, according to a police investigator.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... lt-police/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/973 ... t-11714619
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

We've all seen these face-saving sitdowns at the local constabulary before. Charges made initially are later withdrawn following "mediation" by the BIB. Everybody gets some satisfaction that's rarely divulged. And in cases involving farang making accusation vs a Thai, the reality soon becomes apparent, particularly in the absence of confirming video or cooperative witnesses.

As a long-time ex-pat opined in a nearby thread, think long and hard before reporting a crime or suspected crime. Unless you're sure how it's likely to turn out, think three times.
a447

Post by a447 »

Wow! He's quite attractive!

The advice given here re: contacting the police is true.

Normally, I wear a cheap watch when I travel in poor countries, for obvious reasons. A few years ago I was sitting on the plane to Thailand when I looked down to check the time and realised I'd forgotten to swap watches and was wearing one of my good ones.

I went for a massage and showered with it on but took it off for the massage. Unfortunately, I forgot to put it back on when I left. I raced back to get it - only a minute or so had passed - but of course, if had disappeared. They put on a bit of an act, pretending to look for it. The massage boy was the only one who could have taken it.

In desperation I walked all the way up the hill to the police station. In hindsight, it was a stupid thing to do as I had been engaged in an illegal activity in the massage parlour. I had inadvertently put myself in the position where they could have blackmailed me. Luckily, they showed no interest at all in going to look for it.

What would have happened if they saw what was going on in the massage place?

So as a sex tourist, I steer well clear of the police.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Astute, as always, readerc54. I would never have imagined it had you not explained it. Thanks!
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

thaiworthy wrote:Astute, as always, readerc54. I would never have imagined it had you not explained it. Thanks!
Don't sell yourself short. You've got a great imagination.