Sunee Plaza Nostalgia

Anything and everything about Thailand
loke

Re: Sunee Plaza Nostalgia

Post by loke »

Thaifarang mentioned he could not believe a 12 year old could walk openly in the public and into a hotel without anyone noticing.
I don't believe that happened . They had rooms inside the clubs so I guess most of them used them. I would be shocked if I had witnessed it myself in a hotel with lots of guests. People would start complaining for sure , even if it was the 90's , or even the 80's.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Edit: Looks like my post overlaps with that of Loke!

The punter would not take the UA guy out of the bar... he would take them to a short time room upstairs in the bar.

When you heard the mamasan say "can not take boy out, have to take upstairs" - then you knew for sure that the guy was UA, and it was your cue to run like hell away.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

I understand more and more now how it worked:
1) There were special rooms in the bar itself
2) Underage boy was not taken to his hotel by the farang for everyone to see
3) Underage boys were not clearly visible on stage for everyone to see (but lurked next to it).

So it was (more or less) hidden. And that explains a lot for me. Strange it took some posts for this to become clear. Why was my misunderstanding not corrected earlier on? (It was clear from my posts I thought boys were on stage, Farang offed publicly a boy and walked him to hotel for everyone to see, and no one corrected that wrong understanding of me in the first replies; a wrong understanding causing it for me to be incomprehensible how this all could work in public). If I had known above 3 points earlier, a lot of the mystery would have disappeared for me. I thought it happened all in public!

Since when did the cleaning of Sunee started? Early 2000s? Is this also the time hotels started asking for ID's or this was already established practice for a long time?

Btw: why didn't the Thai boy or bar owner make compromising pictures of the farang and blackmail a farang who offed underage boys? Some farang must have been rich. Thai are poor, they must have known the Farangs who took underage boys risked long long jail terms back home, reputation loss, job loss, etc. So why did a poor Thai boy or bar owner not blackmail such a farang? There is no risk of loss of business because the blackmailed guy won't tell anyone obviously. I mean it is such an easy way to a lot of money.

And another question: did farang who offed such a boy not realize they could be blackmailed and their life destroyed? Did they check very good the bar owner wasn't secretly making pictures? I mean everyone with a normal IQ would factor that risk in, or not? If you think about all this, then it remains still a bit incomprehensible.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I'd be interested in hearing about some of the more colorful characters you guys met during your years in Sunee. Here are a few of mine:

Monty: A short cantankerous pipe smoking Aussie who opened one of the first boy bars in Sunee, was a horse jockey in his youth, had a passion for painting modern art, had darting eyes - an electrified imagination - and an endless sense of humor. Disliked by some for his cagey ways but was as colorful as a rainbow.

John Booth: AKA LMTU, also disliked by some for his shifty ways but as colorful as they come. Always quick with a joke, constantly laughed at everything, could sell a machine gun to a monk, had to have worked for a carnival in England at some point.

Mongo: Little Thai boy who made his way be pick pocketing farang who was as fast on his feet as a thoroughbred race horse, nerves of steel, hands so fast you couldn't see them move. I warned a farang one night that Mongo was eyeing his wallet pocket and before the farang had a chance to turn around Mongo had the wallet in his hand and his sandals were still spinning in the air as he vanished into the night.

Jack: Ladyboy mamasan who ran Euro Boys, KAOS for a time and other bars in Sunee and had half the boys in Sunee at one point under her management. Flamboyant personality, quick with the humor, knew exactly how to play every angle, had the respect of everyone who knew her.

The two things that these 4 colorful characters had in common is that they all lived each day to the fullest, and two, they have all since passed on to the next life.

They are still part of the tapestry of Sunee Plaza even if you can't see them...I will remember them forever.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Dodger, John Booth was a friend and when he passed they threw away the mold.

One of my favorites was an old Ameican guy named Bill, he was drunk all his waking hours and though pleasant with falangs he was demanding with Thais, one evening while I was sitting in a bar the largest elephant I've seen came by with Bill on top of it in a safari outfit screaming at everyone he passed.

There was also a guy who was at most of Monty's parties at the pool who always was dressed as Charles Degaulle.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I have no idea who he is, so I hope I'm not embarrassing or insulting a board member, and I wouldn't really call him colorful - just unique. There is one farang who is always in bare feet. No shoes, no socks, no sandals, no nothing. I have no idea why.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

English Jim: Always catered to 5 or 6 boys at a time and lived for the late night karaoke's. Drunk as a skunk before dusk and partied till dawn. I watched him stumble up on a stage at Butterfly Karaoke (soi day night) one night with his pants falling off where he started slurring Buddhist chants in the microphone. The boys thought it was hilarious. He later turned away from the bottle, went to a Buddhist retreat and returned to Pattaya wearing all types of Buddhist charms telling people he was living the life of a monk. I never saw him again after that.

Rung: Thai boy who literally survived on the streets since about age 7. He was taken in by the ladyboys who ran a no-name beer bar next to the old Amigo gogo. By about the age of 14 he started dressing like a ladyboy. The unique thing about Rung is that he wasn't as ladyboy. He bounced from Amigo to Euro Boys to KAOS still wearing makeup and high heel shoes until the time when Lulu lost the bar. The last I heard Rung wad married, had two children and was living the life of a chili farmer somewhere up in Isaan.

It would be great to see all of these colorful characters again some day.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thaifarang, are you expecting answers to all your questions or are you just pondering out loud?
If you are expecting answers you are in the wrong place and time.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

I expected answers. Because I think the questions are good and relevant. And maybe some of your old timers who witnessed it all, talked to these people have answers. Where else to go?

Say you are a poor Thai. Say you know I can get rich by threatening to expose this Farang. By blackmailing him. At least for some Thais that must have been a very attractive option. I wonder if it has been used. Maybe some Farang are paying for years now each month blackmail money. I not pity them.

And what about the questions when Sunee is cleaned. When did that start? When did hotels start asking for IDs?

If one of you has too much time please write a book about it all.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaifarang wrote:why didn't the Thai boy or bar owner make compromising pictures of the farang and blackmail a farang who offed underage boys?
Let's see if I have this right. You're asking why a bar owner, who is illegally providing under-age boys in the first place, why he didn't try to blackmail his customers? Maybe he didn't want to both lose his customers and end up in jail himself. A better question might have been why didn't the customers try to blackmail the bar owner . . . ?

As for the boy making compromising photos, just how was he supposed to do that - ask the farang to hold still, perhaps say "cheese," while a third party is taking photos of the farang with his cock up the boy's ass?

As for Sunee Plaza getting cleaned up, there is no specific starting point that can be defined. There were frequent bar raids, arrests, bars shut down, bars sold - all kinds of things. It was more of a process than anything else.

Under-age boys are no longer found in Sunee Plaza or any other bar area. It doesn't happen anymore. That's what is important.