financial advice requested

Anything and everything about Thailand
Oliver

Re: financial advice requested

Post by Oliver »

My boyfriend is gainfully-employed; he owns a shop in Kamphaeng Phaet province. And he works very hard.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I applaud the two of you, as when you are gone he will be able to make his own path.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Thanks. He has made me happy despite having had a very difficult life. He deserves to succeed without my support and I know he will.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Undaunted wrote:
Alex wrote:the best piece of financial advice I can offer is to make sure that your boyfriend is gainfully employed.
I beg you pardon, the "relationship" is their job.
It might well be in many cases. That often doesn't end pretty, I don't think my advice is bad.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Sorry, Oliver, I'm late joining this thread. I hadn't checked in for a while.
I opened a joint account at an SCB branch in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago, for exactly the reason you describe. Nothing was needed beyond the usual paperwork - basically a copy of my passport and a proof of address. I had already had a savings account at that branch for a couple of years. As with many things here, what you need seems to vary from branch to branch and day to day. I was not asked for any sort of national ID number beyond the passport. I am British and maybe Thaiworthy got asked for that because he is American and the USA has imposed onerous reporting requirements on Thai bank accounts held by US citizens. You will be handed a form to fill in. The first question is are you a US citizen (or some such). As a Brit you tick no, and hand it back with the rest left empty.
As well as providing for my boyfriend after my death, it has also on one occasion been useful for paying hospital fees not covered by insurance. For obvious reasons, I wasn't easily able to get out and about to do it myself.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Another solution might be a document entatled "Transfer on Death". As I understand it, upon being presented a death certificate the institution forwards your invested cash to the designee without the funds going through probate. I've done this with my Thai boyfriend and it was painless and required nothing but a simple form.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

RichLB, was that a bank?
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Rich LB..

Was that in a Thailand bank?
I thought it's not available in Thailand...
At least it wasn't years ago when an expat friend passed away.

The Thai banker said...
Requires probate in Thailand.

I know that it's available in a US bank.