financial advice requested

Anything and everything about Thailand
Oliver

financial advice requested

Post by Oliver »

Is there any way that I can set-up a joint account with my boyfriend, bearing in mind that I'm not a Thailand resident?
Undaunted

Re: financial advice requested

Post by Undaunted »

Maybe he can set it up and make you joint to the account, of course with your money.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Your post reminds me of something I witnessed at a branch of my bank near Tuk Com. In front of me was an elderly farang and his middle age Thai girlfriend, he was opening an account, his girlfriend did all the talking in Thai with the bank employee, his only comment to his girlfriend was how do I get my money, she replied that she has the atm card so if you need money "just ask me" at which time he fell silent.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I opened a joint account with my boyfriend last month at Bangkok Bank, Mega Bang Na. He preferred that I do all the talking while in the bank. They will ask you to sign lots of papers, mostly copies of your passport. They will also ask for a "citizen number," which is not your passport number. I don't know what country you're from, but in the US, that's a social security number. The US started issuing these forms a couple years ago, I guess, just in case you have loads of illicit cash you are trying to hide. So apart from all that, we got an ATM card and passbook. All the papers had his name on them as well, and he keeps both these items. The thinking here, (as far as he's concerned) is that he will have quick cash for when I croak. But if that happens, all accounts with my name on them will probably be frozen anyway, not that I have a lot of dough, but this makes him happy and it forces him into a savings plan he knows he should not touch. These details are a far cry from what I would term "financial advice," however.

If you've been on this board any length of time, you may have noticed that you are long overdue for a bank account if you don't have one already. It has been discussed before and even as a tourist, you should probably have been able to have secure a Thai bank account by now. Bangkok Bank is easiest, I think. If one branch doesn't work, go on to another. You don't even need to be a resident. But don't sign up for any dopey insurance schemes and exorbitant minimum deposits like what's on offer at some of the banks at Ladprao Immigration.

Not sure why you just couldn't open an account and let him use the ATM card. Why does it have to be a joint account? What are you trying to achieve? I started sending money regularly to my boyfriend since 2006 when I lived in the US. I just gave him the card, the pin and put in only what he's entitled to. I am also not sure if you are looking for a bank in Pattaya or elsewhere in Thailand. There are those here that can give you far better advice than I gave you.

Long story, but good luck.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Yes, it's possible. You have to qualify for opening an account on your own merits, however. In Pattaya, that usually means getting a certificate of residence (see the recent discussion here regarding DLs).

Definitely doable, but personally, I would open separate accounts at the same branch and make transfers via cyber banking if and when needed - free of charge and the money arrives instantly. It keeps honest people honest.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

My method of sending my bf money many years ago, before I moved to Thailand, was to transfer money from my Thai bank account to his. Once setup it is very simple to do. I would get a call or email request and simply use online banking to make the transfer. My transfers were setup to use OTP(one time password) and I simply turned on my phone using my Thai SIM card, read the text message and entered the OTP. It was really quite simple. You can practice why you are still in Thailand.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I added my boyfriend to my Thai bank account so we now have a joint account here. Offhandedly, I asked the girl filling out the forms what happens if I die - does my boyfriend have access to the funds. I had assumed that of course he would, but she informed me that he would only be able to withdraw half until probate in Thailand closed. Seems a bit odd since the ATM card would continue to work (I assume), but that's what she said.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

All you guys posting about how your significantly younger Thai guys can get your money.......do you all buy the fact that it's love? Other than in the case of Alex who has said his b/f is indeed a gay twink, how do you know they are not or will not use your money to support their wife, girlfriend, children or age appropriate b/f or do you prefer a state of denial and illusion?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:how do you know they are not or will not use your money to support their wife, girlfriend, children or age appropriate b/f or do you prefer a state of denial and illusion?
That has nothing to do with the topic. That would be for a separate topic. The OP asked for advice as to how to set up a joint account. He didn't ask for anyone's advice as to whether he should. For that discussion, start a new topic.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

"...she informed me that he would only be able to withdraw half until probate in Thailand closed."

That's a very strange statement by the bank officer, and very unlikely to be true.

Even if it were bank policy and conformed to Thai law, it would not be enforceable. Multiple withdrawals of half the balance would soon reduce the balance to near zero.