Arrival in Boyztown

Anything and everything about Thailand
Oliver

Re: Arrival in Boyztown

Post by Oliver »

The former manager of Ambiance, Michael, told me that he and others had pursued the matter with Copa (then the major offender) but without success.
Other businesses in BT are certainly concerned....anyone would be, observing how quiet (sic) the soi became when the staff party took place. I retreated to Sunee and found a livelier atmosphere, with falangs happily chatting to the guys and each other, something impossible while those speakers were at work. Finally- I've said enough on this matter- I'd point out that the parties I've witnessed over the past four years are hardly that; they are performances. It should not be thought that there is dancing and general merriment;no, a small number of people sit and listen and watch the show on the stage, often with food provided. The show is there for a small number of interested people. Castro's was of Isaan music which included a lot of dialogue (via the loudspeakers, of course). I'd be surprised if it appealed to many beyond the staff who were attending.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I'll add one to the very quiet list - Le Prive on Thapphraya Soi 1. I don't come to Pattaya often but the six bungalows here are in Thai/Balinese style and run by a French guy. You get a key to the gate which is locked at 10:00pm and joiners are always welcome.

http://www.le-prive-pattaya.com/home-page
Jun

Post by Jun »

1 It's not just old farts who like to sleep at night.
Whilst I used to go to discos now & again, I always wanted to sleep well and quietly on nights when I'm not going out.
Obviously "developed" countries benefit from legislation that keeps the discos mostly indoors in sensible locations AND have noise enforcement agencies which can be called out in the middle of the night. Thailand doesn't seem to have any of that.

2 I don't know who owns Boyztown, but if all the buildings were rented from the same landlord, you would think the hotel operators could exert some pressure via the landlords. Even some of the Penthouse Hotel rooms apparently suffer from the Boyztown street parties.

3 Failing any common sense solutions requiring party organisers to be considerate, perhaps the hotel could invest in some high spec double glazing with 100mm air gap and 10mm panes. Whether that is enough is another matter.
colmx

Post by colmx »

Gaybutton wrote:
Moses wrote:Have you seen wedding in Cambodia?
No, I haven't. But I don't think very many Cambodian weddings take place in the middle of Boystown.
I have seen one taking place in Jomtien Complex... And it was the first time I have ever seen my BF actually want to stay there! (and yes it was very loud!)

As for parties in BT, I attended my first street party back in 2001 as part of the Pattaya Gay festival and it too was a loud affair, went on late and took over the whole street... So these parties are far from a new thing!

The only difference was that the entertainment was being put on for Farang and not Thais...
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oliver wrote:I'm grateful to Alex for clarifying some of the issues....though I must add that those who are in favour of these events tend to be so from a long distance away.
I did stay at The Ambiance once, last year for two nights of partying in Pattaya. I came back "home" at almost 5am both nights, and I must say that Boyztown was very peaceful and quiet from 5am to 10am, when I wanted to sleep. Which brings me back to my original point: Horses for courses! For that kind of getaway, staying in the very heart of Boyztown was ideal. I wouldn't and I didn't stay there otherwise.

You're objecting to the "screw you" attitude and I get that. That's alright, but as far as noise is concerned, that's simply as things are in Thailand. As a frequent visitor you could have known that. You can choose to whine about it same as others lament that Thais transport their little children helmetless on an overcrowded motorbike - it won't change a thing. I'm not blaming you for your dislike of noise, I'm blaming you for your lack of insight.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:You're objecting to the "screw you" attitude and I get that. That's alright, but as far as noise is concerned, that's simply as things are in Thailand.
The part you don't seem to get is not the noise, but where the noise is, how loud it is legal to be, and how long it lasts.

If the Thais were all so thrilled about excessively loud music volume, though rarely enforced, why is there a 90 decibel restriction? Is TIT the answer for that one too?

I live in a Thai neighborhood. Not long ago a very loud party was going on at one of the houses here. The police were called, the noise stopped, and there hasn't been an incident since. It was Thais who called the police. They work and want to be able to hear themselves think and be able to get some sleep too - just like many of us "old farts" as you label people.

You might want to consider backing off a little bit from passing yourself off as some kind of expert about what the Thais like.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Interesting G.B. I am amazed the police actually responded so late in the evening. Loud seems to be part of the culture, how many times have you gone to a shopping center and a stage is set up with something going on at a decimal level that unless you are Thai is impossible to suffer through.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Interesting G.B. I am amazed the police actually responded so late in the evening.
Even more interesting - at what point did I say what time this occurred?

I'm not at all surprised by the quick police response. Where I live - on "The Dark Side" - quick police response to incidents is the norm.

Regarding shopping centers, you do have a point there, but those don't occur late at night and I don't know very many people trying to sleep in a shopping center.

The Boystown and Jomtien Complex street parties don't bother me very much personally. If I'm there and don't like it, I do this bizarre thing - I leave.

The shopping center noise also doesn't bother me very much. I don't like it, but once I'm in a store I no longer hear it.

What does bother me is the loudspeaker advertising trucks blaring out ads, often as early as 7:00am.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote:I live in a Thai neighborhood. Not long ago a very loud party was going on at one of the houses here. The police were called, the noise stopped, and there hasn't been an incident since. It was Thais who called the police. They work and want to be able to hear themselves think and be able to get some sleep too
G.B. how foolish of me to take for granted that this was an evening occurrence as here in Thailand sleep is seldom confined to specific hours.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:G.B. how foolish of me
I wouldn't dream of insulting you by disagreeing . . .