Arrival in Boyztown

Anything and everything about Thailand
Alex

Re: Arrival in Boyztown

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton, you're good at baiting and we all know that, but I'll leave it there: Those who play loud music don't need to care if you consider their reason valid, it's as simple as that. They just do it because they feel like it. And yes, gerefan has nailed it, this is Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:Gaybutton, you're good at baiting and we all know that, but I'll leave it there
"Bravely spoken."
Hugh Griffith (Sheik Ilderim), 'Ben Hur'
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I'm grateful to Alex for clarifying some of the issues....though I must add that those who are in favour of these events tend to be so from a long distance away. GB and I have made it clear that the nightly noise from the bars was not the problem; rather, it was the use of massive loudspeakers in a public space, loudspeakers that were built for use in stadiums and not in the small spaces between high buildings.

And so the "screw you" attitude is exactly what I object to. Screw the inhabitants of Boyztown,the bar-owners who also want to make money, the visitors who wish to chat with boyfriends (and others) in the host bars....as long as "we" are having fun, so what?

But of course, had Alex had been there he'd have seen that the "we" was a small group of workers from Castro and their friends and the "you" that deserved to be screwed were the rest of us. And there you have it in a nut-shell.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Loud noise and parties are a common occurrence in Sunee and Jomtien Complex also. Seems like someone is always having a birthday and the loudspeakers and band are brought in. Walking by holding my ears helps just a little. A friend at VT2 with double pane windows can still here the noise. I pity other businesses and their guests in the area. It's simply the Thai way to accept the inconvenience (or maybe join in the festivities). One of problems of living in a party town, can't change it, so simply find a quieter location.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Alex wrote:..... you lost me when it turned into yet another "it's too loud" rant. Yes, entertainment zones are occasionally loud....
It's useful information not a rant to me. Thank you Oliver. It's not just the Ambiance where noise can be a problem. There's many other hotels in the same boat so knowing what places might have a noise problem is good information. Knowing what hotels are quiet is also good information.

I'll add one in the quiet column: Ban Suay http://www.baansouy.com/rooms/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:the "you" that deserved to be screwed were the rest of us. And there you have it in a nut-shell.
Oh well, maybe we're just among Alex's concept of "old farts" - just as if "old farts" are unworthy and not entitled to any consideration whatsoever when some venue wants to make an excessively, unnecessarily, loud outdoor party that ruins things for everyone else and is against the law in the first place.

I have a feeling some people think the fact that a venue is located in an entertainment zone means it's perfectly ok for them to do that.

My opinion - WRONG!

As far as I know, in Thailand an entertainment zone means venues can provide more 'adult' style entertainment provided they remain within the confines of the law. I didn't know a venue located in an entertainment zone means it's just fine if they want to create a public nuisance even if it's only once in a while.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Try and look at it from a tourist's point-of-view, especially a first-time visitor to the area. Fresh blood into Pattaya should not be discouraged by stadium speakers. Do you really think they'll come again to these sensitive hotels with that kind of problem? What about the owner of the hotel? Do they adopt the TiT attitude as well? (Spend your money elsewhere, if you really expect to get a few winks!) How would an unfamiliar tourist know the difference when it's time to realize TiT and when not to? No one wants to pack up and find other accommodations once they've arrived. It's damn inconvenient and sets the tone for the rest of the stay. These vacations do not come cheap anymore. Agoda doesn't advertise these places as entertainment-zoned or not, do they? Aren't patrons justified in expecting to spend the night with some reassurance of a rest? This is one of the basic necessities.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Up2u wrote:Loud noise and parties are a common occurrence in Sunee and Jomtien Complex also.
If you want to stay in the Jomtien Complex and a quiet is important to you the Pool Suits at the Zing have a rear bedroom that's quiet even when there's street parties. The rest of the rooms are not immune to the thump of the sub woofers one street over.

Agate is also pretty sound proofed if you're in the back rooms. You have to ask for a quiet room. There's just a few that face the complex, most of the rooms are quiet. Get a room over by the salt water pool and you're in a dead quiet zone.

At the Venue I always ask for a rear facing room. The in-house show now is over at 11:30 but they have been having late night rehearsals that last about an hour. The parties lately have been shutting down at around 1:30-2:00am.

Don't book via Agoda at the Venue and automatically expect a rear facing room by adding it to your booking form. You have to book directly with the hotel and ask for a specific room number or rear facing only. I do this often and have never had a problem.

I don't have personal experience at The Poseidon on the issue of noise. I know they have good sound proofing on the windows but I don't know if it works with these relatively new street events. Perhaps someone else has experience with this hotel and street noise?

Street parties are not held every night in Jomtien Complex. I stayed at the Venue one week once and there were none. Another time I stayed there 4 night and there was a party every night. You know one is coming when you see the trucks delivering and setting up the speakers in the day time.

If a particular hotel has a noise issue and you're booking via Agoda reed the comments section and generally someone will say something but you might have to load multiple pages.
Moses

Post by Moses »

Gaybutton wrote:Why does the music have to be that loud, especially since it's against the law for it to be that loud in the first place?
"Thai style": than more gold - then more "prestige", than loudly is music - then more ppl know about celebration... Have you seen wedding in Cambodia? even poor families order trucks loaded with sound system! "if your wedding cannot hear from distance few km, then your wedding is poor". Same-same.

Local private gay guides and companions
[*] in South East Asia http://siamroads.com
[*] in Thailand http://bkktour.info/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Moses wrote:Have you seen wedding in Cambodia?
No, I haven't. But I don't think very many Cambodian weddings take place in the middle of Boystown.

If you're saying the louder the music volume, the more impressive the celebration is within that culture, I don't dispute that, but again the middle of Boystown is hardly representative of typical Thai or Cambodian culture.