Inherited Condo Confusion

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Inherited Condo Confusion

Post by RichLB »

I am asking this for a friend. Yes, I know the proper answer is to confer with a lawyer, but unfortunately two different Thai lawyers have given two different conflicting answers. Slightly less than a year ago he inherited a farang owned condo. Probate has now closed and he is the executor of the Thai will leaving the condo to him (also a farang).

His issue is: Is there a time limit on when/if he has to change the the ownership of the inherited property. One lawyer told him there is no need to do so and he can sell it as executor to whoever wishes to buy it. Another lawyer told him he has one year to register himself as the new owner before it can be sold. If he can sell it without registering the property to himself he can save the substantial registration fee when the condo is sold. Has anyone had experience with this? Does anyone have advice for him?
Gaybutton

Re: Inherited Condo Confusion

Post by Gaybutton »

Where does a person go to register property? Is it the Land Office?

Wherever you go to register property, that's where I would ask, especially if lawyers are giving conflicting answers.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Call my Lawyer his office is on Pattaya Nua near Tesco Lotus his practice deals mostly with falang real estate isuues, his fee for a consultation is almost nothing when he is not in his office he is usually at the Pattaya land office. Vichai 081-344-2109
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

Undaunted wrote:...his fee for a consultation is almost nothing when he is not in his office...

I would hope so!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

richsilver wrote:...his fee for a consultation is almost nothing when he is not in his office...
I would hope so!
Can you add anything positive? Something that can help the O.P.?
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

I would talk to Kelvin at https://www.thai888.com located in View Talay 5d.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:...his fee for a consultation is almost nothing when he is not in his office...
Look at the way you worded it. Of course there would be no consultation fee if the lawyer is not in his office. There wouldn't be a consultation at all if you're in his office, but he's somewhere else.

If I'm thinking of the correct law office, what you did not mention is his assistant, Pee Jee, is just as knowledgeable and a consultation with her is just as good. Their system is similar to the British system in many respects. Pee Jee is similar to a British solicitor. She prepares the case. The lawyer (can't think of his name at the moment) is similar to a barrister. He does the rest.

Also, if I'm thinking of the correct law office, I've had consultations with him before. I was charged nothing at all for the consultation. I was only charged if he handled the problem for me.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Also, if I'm thinking of the correct law office, I've had consultations with him before. I was charged nothing at all for the consultation. I was only charged if he handled the problem for me.
Hence?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Hence?
The problem was solved to my satisfaction.

Am I thinking of the correct law office?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I have recently brought a friend there who had a problem in regard to a Thai company and his consultaion was also free, he has been in business for years, knows everyone at the land office and if need be knows how to make things happen.