Car and/or Motorcycle Rental

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Car and/or Motorcycle Rental

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:Jomtien routinely issues Certificates of Residence even for people who stay at hotels. So yes, even a bona fide tourist can get a Certificate of Residence. Thailand being Thailand, that's inconsistent between different immigration offices. Chaeng Watthana (Bangkok) won't issue one unless you do 90 days reports with them, for example. That's why it's a good idea to check on ThaiVisa before applying.

Another option is getting a Certificate of Residence from your embassy. Again, rules vary. The American Embassy will issue a Certificate of Residence to an American tourist.
I believe you, but as long as I've lived here I've never heard of any of this. Where are you getting this information from?

The only part I'm familiar with is the inconsistency between different immigration offices. There is even inconsistency within immigration offices.

I don't know what the average tourist wanting to rent a car in Thailand would want a Thai driving license for in the first place, not to mention going through the torture of getting one. Between getting the Certificate of Residency and going out to the licensing office, it will take 2 days to get the license. It's certainly much easier to just get an International Driving Permit and bring that along with your home country driving license.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Dodger wrote:RichLB,

GB is correct. Your friend should just get an International License specifying car and motorcycle before coming to Thailand and he won't have any problems. He can go to his local DMV office to get this.
Correct me if I am wrong, however, to get an International License specifying both car and motorcycle, it would be necessary that your home country driver's license is valid for both car and motorcycle?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

If nothing has changed Thailand does not offer a combined motorbike/car license...if you want to rent either you will need a combined foriegn or a foreign car or motorbike license good for 90 days in L.O.S. provided your country has a reciprical agreement with L.O.S. if so no need to go to D.M.V. but you cannot rent a motorbike legally with just a foreign car license or visa versa.

Legally is the keyword.......you can rent a motorbike almost anywhere in Pattaya without a motorbike license but at your own risk....I do not know if the same applies to car rentals.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:you can rent a motorbike almost anywhere in Pattaya without a motorbike license but at your own risk
Another thing, I have never rented a motorbike in Thailand, so I don't know. Does renting a motorbike include insurance in case of an accident?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

https://youtu.be/vobqmHruPRg

For what its worth!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton wrote:I believe you, but as long as I've lived here I've never heard of any of this. Where are you getting this information from?
For Pattaya in particular, the Pattaya City Expats Club maintains a comprehensive checklist that can be downloaded from this page: http://pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats ... cense.html

What I've posted about Bangkok is a mix of ThaiVisa information, personal experience and first-hand reports by acquaintances of mine.

I agree that going through the hassle usually isn't worth it for a short-term tourist who wants to rent a car, as discussed. But keep in mind that some people spend half the year in Thailand on tourist visa. Those who want to buy a vehicle instead of renting one need a Certificate of Residence too, so this information might be useful for others as well.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Interesting thread -- I am inserting quotes and adding my understanding of the requirements - based on information from various sources including Pattaya City Expats Club (PCEC), http://www.Thaivisa.com, and information from others that have first hand experience.
Gaybutton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:48 pm
If he has those, despite the fact that the International Driving Permit is supposedly good for a year, Thailand will honor it only for 90 days upon entry to Thailand
Correct - as I understand it, if you stay in Thailand for more than 90 days, you are required to obtain a Thai driving license - otherwise an International Driving Permit (IDP) along with your valid home country driving license will suffice. So, if you do not stay more than 90 days at a time, the IDP should remain valid for use in Thailand when used during its one year validity period.

Dodger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:22 pm
GB is correct. Your friend should just get an International License specifying car and motorcycle before coming to Thailand and he won't have any problems. He can go to his local DMV office to get this.
Partially correct - the IDP is a "Permit" and is used in conjunction with your home country/state/province license. It is primarily a translation of your home license into several languages and the IDP used is based on a United Nations Convention - nations signing the Convention agree to accept the IDP - they all look basically the same. Additionally, it is not necessarily your DMV where you obtain them - in the case of USA, Australia, and some other countries, they have designated a particular Automobile Club to issue them - in USA, it is the American Automobile Association (AAA). The PCEC website has a section on IDPs with information on getting from your home country and on getting from Thailand for use in other countries - visit http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/ex ... ermit.html for general information - at the bottom of the page are links for info on getting from home country and from Thailand.

Dodger » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:22 pm
For a tourist (someone traveling on a Tourist Visa), they would have to provide proof to the immigration office that they either own their own condo in Thailand or have a documented annual lease on a rental property in order to get the Certificate of Residency. I went through this process for 10 years and it's a fairly a simple task.
Alex » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18 pm
Jomtien routinely issues Certificates of Residence even for people who stay at hotels. So yes, even a bona fide tourist can get a Certificate of Residence. Thailand being Thailand, that's inconsistent between different immigration offices. Chaeng Watthana (Bangkok) won't issue one unless you do 90 days reports with them, for example. That's why it's a good idea to check on ThaiVisa before applying.
Alex is correct. For Residency Certificate from Pattaya Immigration, they will accept just about anything with your name and address on it - one person I know was staying at a hotel, he had the hotel write a letter stating they were staying there - he had no problem getting the residency certificate. Bangkok does require you have to have made a 90 day address report to them before they will issue.

windwalker » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:37 pm
Correct me if I am wrong, however, to get an International License specifying both car and motorcycle, it would be necessary that your home country driver's license is valid for both car and motorcycle?
Correct - The IDP shows the type of vehicle that your home country license permits you to operate - so, if you are authorized on your license for car and motorcycle, the IDP will also show this information. Thailand requires separate licenses for each, but some countries/states/provinces will incorporate both into one license.

Undaunted » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:17 pm
If nothing has changed Thailand does not offer a combined motorbike/car license...if you want to rent either you will need a combined foriegn or a foreign car or motorbike license good for 90 days in L.O.S. provided your country has a reciprical agreement with L.O.S. if so no need to go to D.M.V. but you cannot rent a motorbike legally with just a foreign car license or visa versa.

Legally is the keyword.......you can rent a motorbike almost anywhere in Pattaya without a motorbike license but at your own risk....I do not know if the same applies to car rentals.
Legally to operate a car or motorcycle in Thailand, you will need an IDP that shows both or a Thai driving license for each. But, as I mention above, it is based on a United Nations convention signed by Thailand and many other countries rather than on a reciprocal agreement. IDPs are issued for one year's validity (the form, term, etc. are governed by the UN convention). But as mentioned by Undaunted, I am aware that some rental places don't care or accept your home license without requiring an IDP. Likewise, the Police may also accept the home license at checkpoints. But as noted on the PCEC's website section on vehicles, if you are using your home license and don't have an IDP, you could be fined by the police if they want to. Likewise, any insurance company providing insurance on the vehicle could deny coverage if you are not "legally" allowed to operate the vehicle, i.e., IDP with home license or Thai driving license.

The PCEC does have section on vehicles that covers most aspects of driving in Thailand including some of the pitfalls - one section refers to the rules of the road, or the lack thereof. The lead in page for the entire section can be visited here: http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/ex ... iving.html.

One of the items mentioned on their website is that if obtaining a Thai driving license for both car and motorcycle at the Land Transport Office, you will need an original Certificate of Residence and Medical Certificate (2 year and first 5 year license) and use a photocopy of each for the 2nd license. Based on reports, this has not changed.

But, at Pattaya Immigration, the form they use will ask for the purpose - if you mark it as for a driving license, they will ask for what type of vehicle - if you say both car and motorcycle, they will require that you get two Certificates (300 baht and 2 photos for each Certificate). If you just tell them it is for a car or motorcycle without saying for both, they will issue you with one certificate - you can then use a photocopy at the Land Transport Office (but, This is Thailand, so if you don't want any possible hassles, then go ahead and get two certificates of residency).

Also, if someone anticipates applying for a Thai driving license, it is a good idea to have an IDP - for the past year or so, Banglamung Land Transport Office is requiring a certification of your home driving license by your Embassy if you don't have an IDP. Some Embassies have no problem in you making a photocopy of your license and then certifying the document. But, for Americans, if you don't have an IDP, expect to have to take the written and driving tests. The US Embassy in Bangkok will not notarize any document that contains a photocopy instead of the original. This certification is apparently a requirement of only the Banglamung Office (this is the sub-office of the Chonburi Land Transport Office) that handles Pattaya).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:Interesting thread -- I am inserting quotes and adding my understanding of the requirements
Can you, or anyone else, answer my question about availability of insurance for motorbike rentals? I'd hate to rent a motorbike, be involved in an accident, and have no insurance coverage. And unless the accident is with another farang, guess who is most likely to be blamed by the police - and held financially liable for God knows what.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

If the motorbike is licensed and registered it will come with mandatory government insurance only which is basically 15,000 baht liability insurance. It's not profitable for rental companies to insure you. That's up to you.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote:Does renting a motorbike include insurance in case of an accident?
I don't believe any of the rental places offer motorbike insurance.

I rented a motorbike regularly for the first 3 or so years of holidays and had to get the insurance myself. I used AA Insurance Brokers Pattaya. Any/all insurance brokers offer motorbike insurance policies. There are different options just like any other insurance. I opted for Class 1 insurance which wasn't expensive and covered both collision and liability.

Also, some posters here are calling a "Certificate of Residency" a "Certificate of Residence" in error - as these are two completely different things in Thailand. What we're talking about here related to getting a drivers license is the "Certificate of Residency"