Bangkok Pride Parade Returning

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bangkok Pride Parade Returning

Post by Gaybutton »

readerc54 wrote:Let's hope it's different this time.
I think it will be. I base that on the fact that there hasn't been any bar raids in quite some time. The Sunee Plaza bars, especially, were targeted quite often. Now I can't remember the last time the bars were raided. Maybe that is an indicator of an attitude change on the part of the powers-that-be. Of course, now there aren't so many bars to raid as there used to be.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Well, if it's true that Sunee bars have given up their despicable practice of pimping out minors, THAT attitude change might be the reason why there are less raids.

I think that used to be the foremost reason why Sunee bars were "targeted". I didn't read much about raids in Boyztown all these past years...
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/even ... p-bangkok/

Sounds to me that this Pride event/parade is in the planing stages and there's no specifics to be making up posters and doing more to get the word out. Maybe more will come latter.

It's a rather cursive and vague article from a relatively obscure web site. Who is Paul Heymans?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:Well, if it's true that Sunee bars have given up their despicable practice of pimping out minors
The Sunee Plaza bars stopped hiring under-age boys years ago. Now there are none, and there hasn't been any for a long time. Maybe that's a factor in the reduction of raids, but most raids during the past few years have been checking the paperwork and drug testing the boys - most of whom pass the test.

Even the pedophiles have long since vanished. There hasn't been any pedophile arrests in years. I don't know where the pedophiles go now, but I'm glad it isn't here.

Sunee Plaza just can't seem to live down its past reputation, but those problems have long since vanished.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Trongpai wrote:It's a rather cursive and vague article from a relatively obscure web site. Who is Paul Heymans?
I've been checking the Khoasod English site periodically for many years. I find that its willing to cover stories the two other English language media sites seem reluctant to, particularly crime. The Thai-language paper is quite popular with "up country" readers as Wikipedia points out. However, I think you may be referring to the Out BKK website. Paul Heymans is apparently the founder of OutBKK, a LGBT-oriented non-profit established only last year. There's a facebook page for a man by that name who identifies himself as a teacher in Ladphrao.

From Wikipedia:

Khao Sod (Thai: ข่าวสด; lit. meaning "fresh news" or "current news") is a Thai daily newspaper with national circulation. Founded on 9 April 1991, Khao Sod is the youngest paper of the Matichon Publishing Group which also operates two other daily news publications, Matichon and Prachachat.

The Matichon Group of newspapers, which includes Khaosod English, registered a loss of 86 million baht at the end of the third quarter 2016 according to reports filed with the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET).[1]

Khao Sod is more "mass-oriented" and "upcountry-focused" in style than its sister newspapers in the Matichon Group. Its circulation records show 950,000 copies sold per day.[2] Nevertheless, despite heavy features on crimes, local affairs, and entertainment like other major national newspapers (such as Thai Rath and Daily News), the newspaper also remains keen on political and social issues similar to its sister newspapers Matichon and Prachachat. Khao Sod is managed by Kanchai Boonparn, who also oversees the Matichon Group as a whole.

Khao Sod is currently[when?] the third-bestselling newspaper in Thailand. Additionally, the online edition of the newspaper experienced a 98 percent rise in number of visits in 2010.

Khao Sod first came to prominence in 1994 for its extensive coverage of the cover up murders of a Thai gem dealer's wife and her son. Details later emerged, partially due to Khao Sod's reporting, that Lieutenant-General Chalor Kerdthes of the Royal Thai Police ordered the pair abducted and subsequently murdered after failing to extract information concerning the fate of the Saudi Blue Diamond from the pair. Initially reported by many newspapers as a roadside accident, Khao Sod insisted otherwise from early on. Lieutenant-General Chalor and several other police officers were arrested, found guilty, and sentenced to death (the sentence was later

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khao_Sod
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

rederc54.....You reference the story of The Blue Diamond a true and facinating tale of intrigue which even today effects the diplomatic relationship between the Thai and Saudi kingdoms, for those interested you need only to google The Blue Diamond Thailand.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

readerc54 wrote:I've been checking the Khoasod English site
Can you post the URL for that site?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Alex wrote:4. Giving that joyful event too much coverage in advance, while others still flock to Bangkok to mourn the late King, might offend some sensitivities.
Quoting myself, apparently the event has been postponed for that very reason.

http://bk.asia-city.com/events/news/ban ... -postponed
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

From Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/events/1577498905886980

Details
*** Important Update ***

We, at OUT BKK are deeply saddened by the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.
Therefore, out of respect of the national one year mourning period, and our love for the beloved late KING, we will be postponing Bangkok Pride to the end of the year. (Nov/ Dec)

Please follow this page or the OUT BKK page to stay up to date with the new dates.Details
*** Important Update ***