Bangkok Pride Parade Returning

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bangkok Pride Parade Returning

Post by Gaybutton »

readerc54 wrote:"zero-dollar" tour packages, a week-long event that can attract visitors with higher disposable income would be cause for celebration by tourism authorities.
This might be a good time to remind people that especially during an event like this, while it's attracting you, it is likely also attracting pickpockets. Be careful with your money and valuables, folks. Otherwise the pickpockets will also have cause for celebration while they're making sure your disposable income gets duly disposed and you end up with a "zero-dollar" tour - courtesy of the local villain brigade.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I believe the OP's topic voiced a concern about mainstream media not giving adequate coverage of the up coming Pride event in Bangkok......
1. It is still almost 4 months away.
2. Foreign gays are not likely to travel to BKK for this event as it is likely their own country has such an event.
3. Other than countries like Russia and the Arab world, acceptance has become more the norm lessening a need for a Pride statement.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Alex

Post by Alex »

4. Giving that joyful event too much coverage in advance, while others still flock to Bangkok to mourn the late King, might offend some sensitivities.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Undaunted wrote: 2. Foreign gays are not likely to travel to BKK for this event as it is likely their own country has such an event.
3. Other than countries like Russia and the Arab world, acceptance has become more the norm lessening a need for a Pride statement.
Foreigners, especially east Asians who make periodic weekend getaways to BKK, are very likely to travel for it.

Lessening the need for a statement? How else do you announce your plans to hold an event? Clairvoyance?

Alex wrote: Giving that joyful event too much coverage in advance, while others still flock to Bangkok to mourn the late King, might offend some sensitivities.
Point taken; that's possible.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

readerc54 wrote:Lessening the need for a statement? How else do you announce your plans to hold an event? Clairvoyance?
Lessening the need for a statement was meant in a time of more acceptance "I'm gay and I'm proud" may have less relevance.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Undaunted wrote: Lessening the need for a statement was meant in a time of more acceptance "I'm gay and I'm proud" may have less relevance.
I agree that we live in time of more acceptance of gays but I don't believe that we should not get too comfortable with the notion. Right-wing political movements in the US and Europe strongly suggest caution.

Even if you put the relevance issue aside, how else do you let people know about an upcoming event--gay or otherwise--without creating publicity about it?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

readerc54 wrote: Even if you put the relevance issue aside, how else do you let people know about an upcoming event--gay or otherwise--without creating publicity about it?
Here is the facebook link:

http://www.facebook.com/events/1577498905886980

My guess the lack of publicity is either that it is too early or mainstream media doesn't put a priority on its coverage.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Undaunted wrote:My guess the lack of publicity is either that it is too early or mainstream media doesn't put a priority on its coverage
My point exactly.
Alex

Post by Alex »

readerc54 wrote:Right-wing political movements in the US and Europe strongly suggest caution.
True, but this is an event in Thailand. Thailand's right-wing government shares certain characteristics with other right-wing movements the world over (nationalism/patriotism in particular), but homophobia isn't one of them. So it's not even particularly remarkable that the first relaunch of Bangkok's Gay Pride will take place under the current government. Unless they will move to cancel it, but in that case I'm sure they will easily find an acceptable justification.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Alex wrote:Unless they will move to cancel it, but in that case I'm sure they will easily find an acceptable justification.
I'm old enough to remember 15 years ago having just left Babylon and spotting a TV mobile van backing into a parking space further up Soi Nantha. As I turned left onto Sathorn Soi One I saw a few police vehicles off to the side but didn't connect the two. It wasn't until the next morning that I learned what had followed. Acting on orders of Thaksin's Ministry of Social and Moral Order, the sauna was raided.

Yes, authorities are indeed capable of finding acceptable justification for whatever they desire. This I don't dispute, nor do I choose to forget. Let's hope it's different this time.

http://www.fridae.asia/gay-news/2003/01 ... homophobia

http://outnation.blogspot.com/2006/10/babylon-raid.html